Aggression is offline Member

Workout for newbie

Well sort of. I have been training the last couple of weeks after taking 3 years off. I'm 24 years old 6' 220 with a gut. I want to train for size and power. However I also want to start walking in a few weeks for my cardio. I don't plan on ever competing in powerlifting or bodybuilding but I would MAYBE like to get back into amateur boxing sometime next year. Anyway here is my new workout I plan on doing:

Mon Day 1

Deads
    Leg curls
    Seated cable rows
    Wide grip lat pulldowns

Weds Day 2

Dumbell Bench Press
    Seated dumbell shrugs
    Standing side lat raises
    Rear rotator cuff exercise
    Front rotator cuff exercise

Fri Day 3

Squats
    Cable crunches
    Cable Side bends
    4 way neck machine

Deads I will do 5 sets, reps of 6,5,4,3 and one last set until failure all while increasing the weight each set.The neck machine I will do 5 sets of 10 all while increasing the weight each set. For my rotator cuff exercises I will do 3 sets, reps of 15,12, and one last set until failure all while increasing the weight each set. All other exercises will be 5 sets, reps of 10,8,6,4 and one last set until failure all while increasing the weight each set.

Well how's it look?
    Last edited by Aggression; 09-20-2004 at 11:46 PM.

28 views and no responses?!

Cmon fellas help me out.

znak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggression
    Well sort of. I have been training the last couple of weeks after taking 3 years off. I'm 24 years old 6' 220 with a gut. I want to train for size and power. However I also want to start walking in a few weeks for my cardio. I don't plan on ever competing in powerlifting or bodybuilding but I would MAYBE like to get back into amateur boxing sometime next year. Anyway here is my new workout I plan on doing:

Mon Day 1

Deads
    Leg curls
    Seated cable rows
    Wide grip lat pulldowns

Weds Day 2

Dumbell Bench Press
    Seated dumbell shrugs
    Standing side lat raises
    Rear rotator cuff exercise
    Front rotator cuff exercise

Fri Day 3

Squats
    Cable crunches
    Cable Side bends
    4 way neck machine

Deads I will do 5 sets, reps of 6,5,4,3 and one last set until failure all while increasing the weight each set.The neck machine I will do 5 sets of 10 all while increasing the weight each set. For my rotator cuff exercises I will do 3 sets, reps of 15,12, and one last set until failure all while increasing the weight each set. All other exercises will be 5 sets, reps of 10,8,6,4 and one last set until failure all while increasing the weight each set.

Well how's it look?
    It looks strange. Each work out is all over the place, Deads, leg curls and lat pull downs in one day. You are pumping your blood all over your body. Don't understand the logic of your work out.

There must be a hundred work outs here that have a more traditional split Chest/Tris- back/bis- shoulders/traps- legs.

Your reps are good, but I really don't understand your split.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    You need to focus on certain muscle groups...Like said above, don't split everything up like you have.

Try something like this:

Monday - Legs

Wednesday - Chest/Shoulders

Friday - Back/Traps

Sunday – Arms

Reason for legs on Monday is so you can have some legs for the weekend and this has been a great split for me personally.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muriloninja
    Try something like this:

Monday - Legs

Wednesday - Chest/Shoulders

Friday - Back/Traps

Sunday – Arms
    Try this, your proposed workout is

Jef-El is offline Associate Member
    how many days a week do you get in the gym?

i would recommend:

chest tri

back bi

rest

legs

rest

shoulder traps.

chest- flat bb, incline db, lf dips. tri-CGBP, skullz, cable press downs

back-wtd chins/assisted if you cant, wide grip lat pull down, bent BB rows or tbar or tractor pulls. bis-incline bench curls, heavy BB. Possible DL, or on leg day.

leg-ATG squat, SLDL, front squat, Conventional DL or rack pulls.

Shoulder- front+side laterals superset, Standing military press, power cleans or upright rows, seated shoulder press. traps- DB shrugs, bb shrugs

decent routine for size and power

Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    Try this, your proposed workout is

Ok, and in english please?

This works good for me...obviously not you...just a example for him.

Sammy1980 is offline Junior Member
    3days a week?? You must train more days i think 5 or 6, and remember to combine power with pumping

Jef-El is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy1980
    remember to combine power with pumping
    pumps do not mean hypertrophy.

altough i enjoy pumps, it just means your muscle cant get rid of the blood being forced into it. It has little to do with growth.

just try a program and lift hard, youll know if it works by the results

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    Ive said that several times, lack of a pump doesnt mean no gains or growth will occur, anytime you work a muscle hard it will grow. Remember, any new program will take a month to see results.

How many exercises would you guys recommend per session for a "newbie" and how many days a week?

JdFlex is offline Senior Member
    I would say to keep it simple. Work each muscle once per week. I would use 8-10 sets of 2-3 different exercises for smaller muslces and 10-12 sets of 3-4 different exercises for larger muscles. That's for someone that is still new to training but has been working out for a little while (1-2 months).

For a beginner program, I would do very few sets for each muscle just to get the body used to lifting heavy weight. Otherwise you will be so sore you won't be able to move.

As for days per week, that would all depend on the person's schedule. But it wouldn't matter much in my routine b/c no matter what you will still be working each muscle once per week.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muriloninja
    Ok, and in english please?

This works good for me...obviously not you...just a example for him.
    My post is referencing your split. I was suggesting for him to try your split, because it looks good, and implying that his proposed workout was a bit scary.

Sammy1980 is offline Junior Member
    if you dont get pump you dont grow,thats what i think

Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    My post is referencing your split. I was suggesting for him to try your split, because it looks good, and implying that his proposed workout was a bit scary.

Oh, sorry bro..i thought you were stating my split was bad....

Peace

This is what I plan on doing for the next 6 weeks just to get back into the swing of things again:

All exercises will be 5 sets reps of 10,8,6,4 with one last set until failure (which will be about 2) all while increasing the weight each set. Except deads which will be 5 sets reps of 6,5,4,3 with one last set until failure (which will be about 2) all while increasing the weight each set. And the 4 way neck machine which I will do 3 sets reps of 15,12, with one last set until failure (which will be about 10) all while increasing the weight each set.

Day 1 Mon

Deads
    Seated dumbell shrugs
    Seated cable rows
    Wide grip lat pulldowns

Day 2 Wed

Flat dumbell press
    Seated dumbell shoulder press
    Seated bent over reverse flys
    4 way neck machine

Day 3 Fri

Squats
    Standing calve raises
    Kneeling rope cable crunches
    Cable side bends

I will do this for 6 weeks and than I will add an exercise to each day (leg curls to day 1, side lateral raises to day 2, and leg extensions to day 3).

I will also be doing some light rotator cuff exercises after each workout. Not to mention stretching before, during, and after my workout.

Right after my last set I will have a Nectar whey protein shake and some dextrose mixed with water.

How's it look for the long road back?

Looking better....

I was also thinking about for the first 4 weeks do only 3 sets reps of 10,8,6 and than after 4 weeks of that do 4 sets reps of 10,8,6,4 and than after 4 weeks of that do what I planned, 5 sets, reps of 10,8,6,4,with one last set to failure (all of these while increasing weight each set.

Should I do that or jump right into what I planned (5 sets, reps of 10,8,6,4,with one last set to failure all of these while increasing weight each set)

Also I was planning on every 4 weeks doing incline dumbell hammer curls (in addition to) on the day I do seated rows and tricep pushdowns (in addition to) on the day I do flat dumbell press. That way every 4 weeks I could shock my bis and tris without overtraining them by doing them every week. I figure I'm hitting my bis and tris hard enough every week by doing all my pulling and pressing movements.
    Last edited by Aggression; 09-26-2004 at 12:22 PM.

Cmon, what do you guys think I should do? I need the help.
    Last edited by Aggression; 09-24-2004 at 07:16 PM.

This is what I plan on doing for the next 6 weeks just to get back into the swing of things again:

All exercises will be 5 sets reps of 10,8,6,4 with one last set until failure (which will be about 2) all while increasing the weight each set. Except deads which will be 5 sets reps of 6,5,4,3 with one last set until failure (which will be about 2) all while increasing the weight each set. And the 4 way neck machine which I will do 3 sets reps of 15,12, with one last set until failure (which will be about 10) all while increasing the weight each set.

Day 1 Mon

Deads
    Seated dumbell shrugs
    Seated cable rows
    Wide grip lat pulldowns

Day 2 Wed

Flat dumbell press
    4 way neck machine

Day 3 Fri

Squats
    Standing calve raises
    Cable side bends

I will do this for 6 weeks and than I will add an exercise to each day (leg curls to day 1, side lateral raises to day 2, and leg extensions to day 3).

I will also be doing some light rotator cuff exercises after each workout. Not to mention stretching before, during, and after my workout.

Right after my last set I will have a Nectar whey protein shake and some dextrose mixed with water.

How's it look for the long road back?

1st mistake, why are you doing 5 sets of each excercise? especially the 5th set? i can understand you pyramiding because i do it as well, but your last set of '2' is just considered a wasted set. i would understand if your a powerlifter. but that last set is just wasted energy

2nd mistake, why are you only training 3 days a week? why dont you just stay home and do crunches instead of going to the gym? 3 days a week is jack crap bro. atleast do 4.3 days a week WILL NOT distribute your muscle work equally enough to make substantial gains.

3rd mistake, why did you put shrugs after deads? do your shrugs last. when you put shrugs second in line like you just did, your back work will suffer.

4th mistake, why do i see only ONE chest excercise?

5th mistake, why are you ONLY squatting on leg days?where the hell is the other part of your leg work? leg presses? hack squats? leg extensions?

6th mistake, what the hell is a 4 way neck machine? dont get fancy with your routine.

7th mistake, where is your tricep work? your chest and delts are going to suffer greatly with weak tri's

8th mistake, where is your bicep work? your rowing excercises on your back days will suffer greatly also with weak bi's.

1) You think 5 sets is too many? What's wrong with my last set to '2'. That set is the most intense. Should I do only 3 sets? What rep scheme?

2)I'm only training 3 days a week because I'm just starting back after a LONG layoff. My body needs time to recover and adjust. Also when I start boxing again I will cut it to 2 days a week (and 2 days doing sprints). And finally when I start adding a couple days a week of grappling to the mix I will cut the lifting to 1 day a week and 1 day a week of sprints. There's no way possible I will have enough energy to lift 4 days a week and box/grapple/sprint.

3) I feel my traps alot with deads. I figure I should keep the pump going there with shrugs right after.

4) Like I said I'm only doing 1 chest exercise because that's all I have the energy for right now.

5) See 4) Replace chest with leg.

6) The neck machine is hardly 'fancy'. A boxer needs a strong neck.

7) I should have been more clear in my original post. I am not training for a perfect physique, I am training to get a good core base to help me with some 'functional' strength for the boxing ring. With that said, I get enough tri work from my presses.

8) See 7) I get enough bi work from my back exercises.

Please feel free to add any more suggestions or comments.

ya, next time you need to clarify bro. im fixing mistakes that a weightlifter would make, not a boxer.but you do say your training for size and power, and if you are, those are some of the mistakes you need to fix up.

Actually I may have to agree with you now that I think about it, 5 sets may be too many and the last set to '2' may do more harm than good (injury).

I was thinking of only doing 3 sets reps of 8,6, and 1 last set to failure (which I should be able to do 4). I also plan on doing my deads 3 sets reps of 5,4, and 1 last set to failure (about 3) and 4 way neck machine with 3 sets reps of 15,12, and 1 last set to failure (about 10).

Is this better?

I also plan to change my workout to this:

Day 1 Mon

Flat dumbell press
    Seated dumbell shrugs

Day 2 Wed

Squats
    Deadlifts
    Standing calve raises
    4 way neck machine

Day 3 Fri

Seated cable rows
    Wide grip lat pulldowns
    Cable side bends
    Last edited by Aggression; 09-26-2004 at 04:20 PM.

itsallmental what do you think? Anyone else?

Actually I may have to agree with you now that I think about it, 5 sets may be too many and the last set to '2' may do more harm than good (injury).

I was thinking of only doing 3 sets reps of 8,6, and 1 last set to failure (which I should be able to do 4). I also plan on doing my deads 3 sets reps of 5,4, and 1 last set to failure (about 3) and 4 way neck machine with 3 sets reps of 15,12, and 1 last set to failure (about 10).

Is this better?

I also plan to change my workout to this:

Day 1 Mon

Flat dumbell press
    Seated dumbell shrugs

Day 2 Wed

Squats
    Deadlifts
    Standing calve raises
    4 way neck machine

Day 3 Fri

Seated cable rows
    Wide grip lat pulldowns
    Cable side bends

nah bro, you never put your squats and deads on the same day. 1, is for the fact that 1 excercise will suffer greatly because of loss of strength, and 2, thats just a lower back injury waiting to happen.

also, core excercises, such as deads,bench, or squats, need to be worked more than 3 sets. hit them up with 4-5 sets, but just keep the rest of your muscle work in the 4 set range. you still got some homework to do bro.

Thread Information