Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"

who actually deadlifts

ok, i got 3 questions
    1. how many people here actually deadlift
    2. When you started deadlifting, in general, what did it do for your overall size and other lifts
    3. what does your routine look like they day of deadlifting?

statuZ is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by IronReload04
    ok, i got 3 questions
    2. When you started deadlifting, in general, what did it do for your overall size and other lifts
    about a month or so ago is tarted deadlifting 10lbs on each side, now im up to 245 for 8 according to last week. I always do deadlifts first, and i think im getting bigger. I just started a cycle so lets see what i can do tonight cuase tonight is deadlift night i cant wait!

ive been deadlifting since i was 13, and ya bro it makes a big difference. not only for the back, but for all the supporting muscles you use as well. its just another excercise to add overall size. ive never done a back workout without it.

Jack87 is offline Retired Vet
    I'll put my spin on this one for you...

I honestly just got serious about deadlifting maybe 4-5 months
    ago after years of lifting... In those 4-5 months doing them and
    going as heavy as possible every week they have done more for
    adding thickness to my back then the last 2 years of everything
    else without a doubt.. I almost always do them last in my routine
    because after deadlifting i'm done, no way of doing anything else...

My basic back routine is this, but sometimes will change up T-Bar
    Rows for Bent Rows or Dumbbell Rows:

Chin Ups 5-6 sets to failure
    T-Bar rows 4 sets 6-8 reps
    Seated Rows 4 sets 10-12 reps
    Deadlifts 5 sets reps as follows 12,8,5,3,3

Merlin_TM is offline New Member
    1. I do.
    2. It made me bigger.
    3. I generally do rack pulls when I go heavy and speed work from the floor or an elevated box. Maybe once a month I actually pull heavy from the floor.

SMYL_GR8 is offline Senior Member
    Do you guys do stiff-legged deadlifts to target the hams (like I do) or over-under grip bent-knee that focus more on the back? I like the stiff-legged because of the thickness to hams and glutes and finish 'em off with roman chair extensions for lower back.

I started doing 'em when Chris Duffy (former IFBB) did them at a gym I worked out at years ago and he used to this CRAZY sh!t. He'd do deadlifts for an HOUR, 10-12 sets with the heaviest set being over 700lbs. I do four sets 225.

rev911apollyon is offline Junior Member
    who doesn't deadlift?
    Actually last year I started doing them, totally made me stronger overall and it does alot for my back thickness. Go heavy or go home (or outside)

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    ok, i got 3 questions

I've been deadlifting for about a year now. Since i started, my back has gone from nothing to this. All of my other lifts have increased in a big way.

My routine starts with 225X10, goes to 275X6, to 315X3, 335X3 (always slowly increasing the poundages, started much lower.. but will continue to do the same reps). I pull from the floor, and follow up with stiff legged deadlifts and ham curls. I have a seperate day for the rest of my back, 4 days later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails who actually deadlifts-picture-063.jpg  

general31 is offline Associate Member
    I pull from just off the floor. I set the pins on a rack to where the 45's are about 6-8 inches off the floor. In my opinion going from the floor involves the legs more than I would like so I like to start higher. I go 225x12 275x10 315x6 335x4 then i dropp to 135 after the last set and burn. I think it is the main mass builder for a great back.

I have never seen anyone in the gym I go to ever do them. People even look at me funny when I do them!

i am convinced to start doing them. i have been lifting for a long time now and i am going to start.

can you just explain to me how to do it and proper form please

kloter1 is offline Southern Steel Bodybuilding
    deads are the shiznit. i like doing tbar rows too in a corner of a squat rack, using a bench press bar. i go for a max of 8 reps. super heavy. ive only seen one other guy in the gym do these i get alot of "wtf" looks when i do em. great workout.

statuZ is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kloter1
    deads are the shiznit. i like doing tbar rows too in a corner of a squat rack, using a bench press bar. i go for a max of 8 reps. super heavy. ive only seen one other guy in the gym do these i get alot of "wtf" looks when i do em. great workout.
    is that you in your avatar?

general31 is offline Associate Member
    Keep your hands at or a little more than shoulder width, feet the same. I use overhand grip all the time. The key I think is to not arch your back. Keep your spine as straight as possible. The biggest key to doing heavy weight and not f***in up your back is to keep the bar close to your legs throughout the movement. I like to give a little shoulder shrugg at the top. I think that has really helped my traps and upper back.

khurrams is offline Associate Member
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/casi4.htm

The link above will give u a "Deadlifts for Dummies" approach.....enjoy bro..

markas214 is offline Senior Member
    Look at Ronnue Coleman's back. He does them. I don't believe you can get thick as hell without them. Got to go heavy for maximum effect.

Quote Originally Posted by khurrams
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/casi4.htm

The link above will give u a "Deadlifts for Dummies" approach.....enjoy bro..
    so straight legged (slightly bent) deadlifts are better than bent knee deadlifts right?

so straight legged (slightly bent) deadlifts are better than bent knee deadlifts right?
    depends what you're working. If you want a broad, thick back, standard deadlifts are what you're after. If you want to work your hamstrings, stiff legged deadlifts are the ticket. Do what i do and just do both. Break your leg day up into two days spaced relatively far apart, and do both types of deads and hams one day, and then leg press, squats, and extensions the other.

markas214 is offline Senior Member
    Stiff legged deads if done right target the hams and glutes. Regular deads the back, shoulders,traps and legs

Straight Legs Or Bent Legs?
    By: Francesco Casillo.

Deadlift with straight, extended knees:
    During the eccentric-descendent phase the degree of forward flexion of the trunk is greater, and therefore the partial center of gravity, fixes itself on a longer arm of a lever that involve a greater stress of paravertebral muscles that act on a shorter arm of a lever. Under a muscular point of view, during the concentric upward-phase, the short head of biceps femoris don't take part in the hip extension during the straightening of the trunk, because it's a monoarticular muscle.

Deadlift with bent (or half bent) knees:
    During the eccentric-descendent phase the degree of forward flexion of the trunk is lesser than seen with extended knees because of the bending of the knees; and the more bent the knees are, the lesser the degree of forward flexion of the trunk and consequently lesser the stress beared by the paravertebral muscles.

Under a muscular point of view, the lesser flexion of the trunk forward will determine a lesser "relative shortening" of the Gluteus maximus muscle and Hamstrings and consequently a lesser stimulation of them during the following concentric-upward phase (if compared to the Deadlift performed with extended knees). If during the straightening of the trunk the knees are kept bent, it will cause the muscular intervention of the calves, popliteus muscle and short head of bicep femoris that help in maintaining the bent position of the knee for the whole range of movement (because they are knee flexors

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    How could anyone not deadlift? I deadlift for much of the year with some rest periods where I focus on squats or some other grip intensive exercise. You can deadlift with any set rep scheme you feel fits into your program and is in line with your goals. Personally I found I get the best results doing 5-6 sets with 4-8 reps working up in a pyramid fashion.

ok, so if i want to target my back, trapz etc, how bent shoulld i bend my knees

Bend them slightly keeping the barbell close to your legs and until your back is levelled with the ground....inhale when going down and exhale when coming up...

do your knees stay bent the whole time or are you supposed to straighen them more at the end of the positive ?

FCECC2 is offline Anabolic Member
    my favorite exercise after chest

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    1. I do two weeks in a row then off one
    2. Made my lower back and traps hella big. Prolly helped forearms with all the wieght on em.
    3. Lat pulls to warm up, deadlift 4 sets, bent over rows or seated rows, maybe DB rows, BB shrugs.

builtthekid is offline Banned
    I do but I also do my cleans with it.

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    I deadlift. It's one of my favorite exercises. i work it it with dc training style so it's one of my 3 back workouts.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Been doing deads for the past four years....every Monday. I even load the bar with 25's so as to get a deeper pull....bar looks kind of funny with 400 lbs in 25 lb plates.

I follow it with cleans, pull-ups and bent rows and seated rows.

It's made my back much thicker......but more than that I believe it has helped me with all my other lifts......my sqauts have deffinetly gone up big time since I put DL's in the routine.

TxBeef is offline Junior Member
    I do deadlifts because it's one of the lifts I compete in. I'm in the 165 lb class and want to pull 523 lbs in November at a meet. Anyway, deadlifts added to my overall back, trap, glute/ham, and leg size. I feel it's second best to the squat! My routine is usually based on a pyramid scale leading up to the heaviest weight right before a meet so the weights are always different.

JdFlex is offline Senior Member
    I have 2 herniated discs in my spinal column, so I must admit, I am too worried to do deadlifts, especially heavy ones. I am thankful that I can still do most other exercises, I don't want to push it. Anyone else have that problem and overcome it?

Quote Originally Posted by JdJuicer
    I have 2 herniated discs in my spinal column, so I must admit, I am too worried to do deadlifts, especially heavy ones. I am thankful that I can still do most other exercises, I don't want to push it. Anyone else have that problem and overcome it?
    I've a terrible back but I still do them. It's all about form but now and then I'll over do it (like now) and hurt it pretty good. I just let it heal and hit it again.

Take it slow, watch the form and once you get up in the poundage if you feel anything out of the norm with the back drop the weight and walk away. Hit it another day.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggy Snout
    I've a terrible back but I still do them. It's all about form but now and then I'll over do it (like now) and hurt it pretty good. I just let it heal and hit it again.

Take it slow, watch the form and once you get up in the poundage if you feel anything out of the norm with the back drop the weight and walk away. Hit it another day.

I haven't done squats in a long time b/c of the back problem. I did them last week just to see what would happen. With only 150lbs it felt weird. It didn't hurt, but I could feel the disc rubbing against something b/c my spine was compressed. If I really screw it up, then I won't be able to lift anything. But I will try the deadlifts with really light weight and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by JdJuicer
    I haven't done squats in a long time b/c of the back problem. I did them last week just to see what would happen. With only 150lbs it felt weird. It didn't hurt, but I could feel the disc rubbing against something b/c my spine was compressed. If I really screw it up, then I won't be able to lift anything. But I will try the deadlifts with really light weight and see what happens.
    Just watch that form and don't get into any hurry whatsoever...nice and slow. Also make sure to drop your butt down before the pull and look up. Be careful bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggy Snout
    Just watch that form and don't get into any hurry whatsoever...nice and slow. Also make sure to drop your butt down before the pull and look up. Be careful bro.
    To be honest, I haven't done deadlifts in a very long time and can't remember how the form should be. I'll research it though. Good advice, thanks.

When I bulk in the winter i'd be a little b*tch if I wasnt doing heavy pulls. Shooting for 650 this winter without drawing a drop from a bottle. Deadlifts are about two things in my mind. Form and intensity. If you aren't pumped to deadlift the weight will vary like loose and tight.

Honestly when my deadlift starts going up it seems like every other lift is very close to follow. Any seroius lifter,regardless if they want muscle or strength needs to be pulling some seroius weight.

do your knees stay bent the whole time or are you supposed to straighen them more at the end of the positive ?
    bump

bump
    you straighten your legs to a "locked out" position.. where you draw your shoulders back as well, at the top of the movement.

thanx brudda. i am really pyched and pumped up to start doin em. it is the missing link to my program. Their aint nothing better than to see results from a new excersize

Powrlftr is offline Associate Member
    Deadlifts make your back thick, builds your traps, and also hits your ham/glutes. I started deadlifting for strength, and my deadlift day looks like this right now.

Deadlifts warmups then 3x3
    shrugs

I lift at around 92% then drop to 60% every third or fourth week depending on how my lifting is going if I'm not getting ready for a meet.

radar1234 is offline Member
    love 'em!! they have made my grip stronger,back thicker,and improved my overall strength.
    dl routine=135x20,225x12,315x10,405x6-8,455x2-3.after this i do bent over rows and chainsaws and then im done!
    on the other hand i do think dl should not be done with every back workout.do them every second one.thats just my opinion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information