Aggression is offline Member

Deads build hams as good as leg curls?

Are deadlifts good for building your hamstrings? If you just do deadlifts and NOT leg curls can you still have good hamstring development?

Lately I have been feeling them alot in my hamstrings and I'm so tired when I'm done I don't even do leg curls any more. And since I stopped doing the leg curls with the deads my hams have gotten bigger.

I do just squats for quads (fridays) and deads for hams (mondays) like I said, can doing just deads build your hamstrings?

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Are you doing Stiff Leg Deadlifts (SLD)? These stress the hamstrings more so than traditional deadlifts. Yes, SLD are excellent for hams, however, I would incorporate at least one other exercise to stimulate the muscle from a different angle.

Aggression is offline Member
    I was talking about regular deadlifts.

BWhitaker is offline Senior Member
    Regular deadlifts IMO are the best overall excercise at least for my goals. Of course, you could never pick one lift and reach the goals that i have. However, the deads do build some decent quad strength (though nothing like squats) and really hit the hams, glutes, and lower back. I also get a great workout in the traps some decent work in my mid back and forearms.

Doing keystone deadlifts are the most superiour for hams, though deads will help as will doing squats with correct form (it just depend on your style of squat ie powerlifting vs bodybuilding) Powerfliting is a lot harder on the glutes and hams and bodybuilding squats in general are more quad

Powrlftr is offline Associate Member
    Heavy deadlifts using the traditional style will build up your hams as will heavy low bar squats below parallel, but it wouldn't hurt to do leg curls too.

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    This is like doing bench without the flys. Sure you can get overall chest mass, but not the seperation and splits that your looking for.

You need to switch up and incorperate seated AND laying curls.. as well as SLD.

Thread Information