AJS
    AJS is offline Junior Member

Workout EMpty Stomach?

Can you lift on a empty stomach? im just curious. why/why not? thanks!

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Depends on how empty. If you have not eaten for 5 hrs then lifting MAY not be that great escpecially on large muscle groups. I always eat before a workout evan 1/2 hr before It works for myself. You would get tired & drained quicker no carbs. By the way when I say eat before it does not mean eating a pig out turkey feast. A pro/carb blend & fruit will do.
    Last edited by bluethunder; 09-16-2004 at 07:23 AM.

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    How about Total Raisen Brain and 2% or skim milk? Maybe I also need a small scoop of gainer. Not very much protine in ceral and milk.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    63190 add a banana and your good to go...2% is still 50% bad fat,go with skim you will learn how to adjust the rich full taste lol j/k

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    working out on an empty stomache is just an over all bad idea. You will be weak because your glycogen will be low and without protein before a lift, protein turnover or muscle loss will occur.

Aggression is offline Member
    I take 1/2 cup of oatmeal, 1 Muscle Milk protein shake, and an apple about 45 minutes before I start my first set.

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    63190 add a banana and your good to go...2% is still 50% bad fat,go with skim you will learn how to adjust the rich full taste lol j/k
    I don't get why people don't like skim.. i love it. Tasts same as other milks only not nearly as thick. I love the ****. As for that thick **** ewwww.

Aggression is offline Member
    Muscle Milk is a good shake pre workout.

bignatt is offline Anabolic Member
    Working out on an empty stomach will also make your cortisol levels spike which is not good at all

you will feel so weak without food

ImmmtheIceman is offline Senior Member
    I have to lift with food in my stomach or my workouts will not be as intense. Ive actually felt like i was going to throw up from a lack of energy sometimes

with glycogen being empty becuase of not eating. you will not be able to contract as hard and your control for the weights wont be normal. lack of protein will cause protein breakdown. plus cortisol will own you.

Nevergoodenough is offline Junior Member
    I always work out on an empty stomach, first thing after I wake up. I'll drink some water and hit the weights right away, I dont have any problems with energy or being tired. In fact its kind of the opposite If I dont work out first thing I feel ****ty and groggy all day, and then my workouts suffer. Then after my workouts I wait about 45 mins to eat and then have a shake and some oats. Especially while bulking it helps me keep my fat gains to a minimum. But to each their own. If you've never tried it before give it a shot for a while, see what you think.

what are your stats??

Just try having a pre-w meal, and see if their is a difference. i will bet you a **** load that you will feel the difference

JoeB is offline Associate Member
    IMO
    1. Eat 2 hours before workout (high protein an Low GI carbs). this will allow enough time for digestion and glycogen to build up in the blood.
    2. You don't want food in your stomach at the end of your workout.. instead feed your muscle with dextrose and protein after. Take advantage of the insulin spike that is created to feed your muscles.

Don't:
    -drink skim milk before a workout.. the sugar will produce an insulin spike.. you want to save this for post workout.

Thread Information