Thread: Cardio question

63190 is offline Anabolic Member

Cardio question

Is it bad to throttle your heart rate up and down? Let me try to explain:
    I went for brisk walk. I could only get up to 110 on my heart rate monitor. So then I jogged a bit and it went up to 170. So started walking brisk again and it came down again. I'm 27 so it should be between 125 and 138, right?
    So, I watched it and jogged again. But the thing is to slow to keep up. So I started walking and it shoots way up again.
    So I do this next. I jogged for the length of a house and walked. It shoots up to 140 and then comes back down. When I get to 125 I start jogging again for the length of a house and then walk again. This gets it up to 138 and then I see it come down to 125 and jog again. Will this jog-n-walk approach work as well for that crucial 45 min cardio at 65-70% for fat loss (lypolisis*sp)? I only did 30 because I'm a hard gainer. But lately what I've gained has shown up on my waist.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    No, steady state heart rate is best. When your HR fluctuates up, you are increasing your relaince on carbohydrate metabolism. Therefore, when oxygen supply = oxygen demand, Fat is the predominant fuel source.

So then I have to go to the gym on my non-lifting days to ride a bike, walk a mill, or stair master?

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried power-walking?
    Maybe try and "shag" it. It looks like a walk/jog. Extremely slow jog.

"Shag"? I have not tried power walking. Should I start out with my mom's 3lb DB's? I think I have seen an old man at work extremely slow jog before. Some of the other guys said that it looked funny. As if you could pass him on a brisk walk/speed walk. I was speed walking and like I said, only 110 BPM.

On the plus side I've lost half an inch in my waist and my weight today was 200 even. Yay!

Thread Information