maxamillion is offline Associate Member

Is this enough for shoulders

Allright I keep hearing that its important not to overwork any muscle, but you don't want to go light at the same time. Here's what my shoulder routine looks like
    Military press behind the neck, 6-8 reps
    Seated military press 6-8 reps
    front lateral raises 6-8 reps
    now i worm up with 10-12 reps before each exersice and i lift heavy on the 6-8 reps. I'm trying to bulk up right now and gain as much mass as possible. What do you guys think should i add another lift or do different ones?

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Are you just doing one set?
    Additions may include, lateral raises, upright rows, bent over lateral raise, etc.
    My exercise selection as of now is:
    Seated Military Presses (front)
    Standing DB Presses (good core work)
    Lateral Raises
    Bent Over Lateral Raise (rear delt & core)

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

hmm

Quote Originally Posted by maxamillion
    Allright I keep hearing that its important not to overwork any muscle, but you don't want to go light at the same time. Here's what my shoulder routine looks like
    Military press behind the neck, 6-8 reps
    Seated military press 6-8 reps
    front lateral raises 6-8 reps
    now i worm up with 10-12 reps before each exersice and i lift heavy on the 6-8 reps. I'm trying to bulk up right now and gain as much mass as possible. What do you guys think should i add another lift or do different ones?
    i see 2/3 of your traning session are predominately the same in the presses.
    what are you doing for width?i see no lateral movements. furthermore i see no rear delt/ midtrap work.
    shoulders just happen to be my specialty.
    i would rather see you use one pressing movement, use a lateral movement in a dropset fashion(use your 6-8 rep max weight then two drops sets with descending weight for two sets at that same 6-8 rep range/ 6 sets cumulatively), and throw in a rear delt movement as IMO i don't care how much people pull in their back routines , good rear delts are built through prioritization. keep volume of sets low.your gonna have 6 on medial delts w/ 3 drops sets so detrmine if you want to hit those first for cell volumization to cushion your presses and rear work. additionally, a proper cable upright row may be thrown in for midtraps/trap/ and front delt work, but i would put this as a fourth and final exercise or in place of presses EOW depending on front delt development and the stress of your chest routine.
    just my opinion.

good to see the standing DB presses

Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    Are you just doing one set?
    Additions may include, lateral raises, upright rows, bent over lateral raise, etc.
    My exercise selection as of now is:
    Seated Military Presses (front)
    Standing DB Presses (good core work)
    Lateral Raises
    Bent Over Lateral Raise (rear delt & core)
    good core work and something i don't think alot of people think about when pressing

srry i meant 3 sets of 6-8 reps
    doesn't behind the neck military press work the rear delts?

ok taken all your guys information into account, this is my new shoulder routine
    sitting dumbell presses
    bent over lateral raises
    Military press behind the neck
    bb upright rows

you will use

mid traps and the entire shoulder(anterior, medial, and rear). i just like to use a movement where you can create more of a mind muscle connection and hit the rear as a priority. even a rear pec deck flye i find to be quite more isolating than the behind the neck press. IMO behind the neck presses, although many love them, is just biomechanically putting you in an informal position as there is not one single thing you will ever do inyour life, barring this exercise, that will ever involve you lifting something from behind your head. i err on the side of caution when it comes to shoulders. it just looks liek too much pressing in that routine to me. i worry about overuse type injuries with all that pressing in addition to what is probably a large volume of pressing in the chest routine.again, just my opinion

Imo

and from personal experience, i think you can have excellent muscular development in your shoulders without ANY shoulder pressing. everyone will scream you're an idiot, but i think if you are smart in exercise choices and use focus and mind/ muscle connections(which are very easy to do in this smaller muscle group) you can build great shoulders without pressing and without the chances of injury associated with heavy shoulder pressing.

http://forums.steroid.com/attachment...chmentid=37735

never did one shoulder press, just them smarter..

Ya there is a lot of debate over behind the neck military press. Partyboynyc you said you do rear pec deck fly to develop your rear delts. could you explain what this lift is exactly? thanks

it's just

Ya there is a lot of debate over behind the neck military press. Partyboynyc you said you do rear pec deck fly to develop your rear delts. could you explain what this lift is exactly? thanks
    a reverse flye on the pec deck.face the pad with your chest held high, take hold of the handlesmaking sure they are in line with your rear delts and upper traps, and pull back in reverse flye fashion bringing your shoulder blades together by pulling with your rear delts and traps

nice, i'll try next time I work shoulders. Its kinda similair to laying on a bench face down, with a db in each hand raising them to your sides as high as you can.

yup

nice, i'll try next time I work shoulders. Its kinda similair to laying on a bench face down, with a db in each hand raising them to your sides as high as you can.
    that's basically it

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    That is sound advice from partyboy and yes behind the neck presses are a waste of energy...use the set for a better selection of exercises like a cable movement to finish.

BigJames is offline Senior Member
    I also agree. I have seen many people taken out of the game by behind the neck presses. I also find that concentration and focus during raises and cable movements shocks the muscle more and creates a way better pump.

se11 is offline Associate Member
    Do some heavy shrugs for nice traps(upper shoulders)

ImmmtheIceman is offline Senior Member
    Stay away from behind the neck presses. DO some side and front laterals, maybe some upright rows and of course shrugs. Rear delt machine or bent over laterals for rear delts like all the other bros were sayin...peace

ToJuice,OrNotToJuice is offline Associate Member
    I would do the barebell press to the front and change the front laterals to side laterals, because the front get hit enought by the press and chest movements.

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    I agree with partyboy... nothing hits your shoulders better than dropsets.

I LOVE doing seated bent-over laterals (rear-delt) and just BURNING out the sets.. Ive even gone as far as doing a 8-drop set on these... the last being just arm weight. Man you look funny screaming with no weight in your hands... but when you stand up and your rear delts are so swole it pushes your entire shoulder higher, you aint looking 2 funny then.

Thread Information