jonnytour is offline Member

Question To bulk, or not to bulk?

hi guys,

Just need some more opinions here. I have been workingout hard since Jan '04 and I have put on some decent size. I went from weighing 170 +\- to 197lbs. Now I haven't had my body fat measured but I know it's higher.....round 17%-20%+\-. Now I have been talking to one of the gym owners and he says I should cut up NOW and we are heading into winter. This sounds a bit different to me. He says it will be harder to lose the fat if i don't do it now. (I am 24 yrs old btw). Now I am not sure if he has some gear in mind for me in the spring, which is when he says I should bulk up, or what!! This sounds a bit different to me though. I was thinking bout continuing to try and put on as much lean mass as I can until the spring...then cut up for beach season. I was also thinking bout some clen or annovar come spring to help shed this unwanted insulation and possibly continue putting on size...or at least not losing any. Any opinions? If I left out some vital info just let me know and I will be sure to post it. Thanks for your help gents!!

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    jonny.... i got a suggestion for u.... eat mcdonalds EVERY day lol and stick a needle in yourself every other day lol.. jj's u know my thoughts on the subject

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Rememer this, the more fat you have to lose, the longer you will need to diet and the higher risk of losing lean body mass in the process. I would consider cutting some bodyfat.
    Now lets see if I beat bluethunder as I see that he is veiwing this thread.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    You went from 170lbs to about 197lbs? That is 27lbs in only 9 months which is 3lbs per week.! That is really excellent as gaining 12-15lbs of good lbm in 1 yr is normal. I suspect you did gain alot of fat. Do not take any AAS you are doing fine continue doing it. As far as cutting now the gym owner may feel you are mostly gaining too much fat and will take all winter to lose a significant amount by summer. Of course I am assumming this but at any rate I see n problem doing what you have been doing but maybe add some cardio.

AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member
    if i were you, id bulk with a CKD .

Hyperthrphy: Thanks bud. That's how the gym owner explained it to me and the theory sounds valid.

bluthunder: I may have gained some fat for sure....but most of it was lean mass. I weightd bout 170-175 and last night I stepped on the scale at 196. I actually lost some fat especially when I first started out, but I fear I am actually starting to gain more fat. The gym is owned by a family and the other brother that is a part owner thinks I may have about 10lbs to lose. He said if I lost that 10lbs I would be super cut. I hope to hell it doesn't take me all winter to lose 10 lbs!!! I don't have any plans to actually do any AAS in the near future. I have a long way to go before I go that route. I appreciate your take on this issue.

AnabolicBoy: This may sound stupid...but what is a CKD???? I have never herd of this before.

Well gents.....I think I am gonna start cutting up. I would rather try to stay on the lean side year round, looking good. I appreciate your opinions and thank you all for taking the time to respond to my thread. I'll try to post some pics and I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanx again!!

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Well I was basically saying the same thing as Hyper mentioned. But I may add if you now weigh in at 196lbs and assumming you have only 17% b/f (based on your own estimate on the low side) that is almost 34 lbs of fat. Which means your LBM is 162lbs. Not knowing how tall you are the 162lbs tell me nothing though. If you only lose 10lbs (only the fat) as suggested by gym owner that means you will drop 3.4% bf so your overall is now at 13.6%. You will be in fantastic shape but NOT SUPER CUT. And this is as long as no muscle is lost(which is hard to do,only minimize). It's easy to speculate here but the bottom line is you need to get your b/f FIRST checked to see exactly where you are otherwise you have no clue on whats working for you.

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Hey guyz I work out with jon... Would clen help? I heard it really helps from losing muscle as you are cutting up? thanx

Thanx thunder. I am 5'7". Like i said i am planning on trying to lose the fat.

Would clen help, as needmore asked?? Or is it possible that it's just like anyother time you lose a bunch of fat quick...gain it all back plus extra?? Obviously diet and life style play a role in this. But if I had my cutting diet in check, doing cardio, and continuing to lift @ high reps....would i still run the risk of gaining it ALL back as soon as I was done?? Thanx guys.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    With a proper diet and cardio regimen, clen will accelerate the process of losing fat. Without proper diet and cardio, clen is pretty useless. It is anti-catabolic, however, if your diet is precise and your cardio is at the proper intensity, the risk of losing lean body mass will be little to none. You should not gain fat after you quit clen unless you change a habit. If everythings remains constant, workouts, diet and cardio, then the weight should stay off.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    With a proper diet and cardio regimen, clen will accelerate the process of losing fat. Without proper diet and cardio, clen is pretty useless. It is anti-catabolic, however, if your diet is precise and your cardio is at the proper intensity, the risk of losing lean body mass will be little to none. You should not gain fat after you quit clen unless you change a habit. If everythings remains constant, workouts, diet and cardio, then the weight should stay off.

Thanx a million Hypertrophy! Now have almost all the info I need. Thanx gents!

Thread Information