biofx is offline Junior Member

What did I do to my pec?

Last week, I got 315 5 times, today rep 3 i felt a little tear on the way down but got it up, then rep 4 more tear and i had to stop. Grabbed the 100's for first set of incline and at rep 6 it started killing me. I went home. I don't think I ripped the muscle off the bone, maybe just tore the tendon partly/ it was weird though, I could physically feel something ripping apart. The pain was intense when I went home, but 2 ibuprofen and it doesn't hurt that bad now.

Should I not lift for a week? What I am planning on doing is lifting normally except on shoulder day leave out the presses, and I'll test the pec next week.

joedog189 is offline New Member
    I had the same thing happen to me except that I couldn't get the weight back up when I felt the tear. I could do some lighter lifts to finish the workout and after taking some ibuprofen it didn't hurt either. The next day I had a massive bruise through the pec and I then realized that i had torn the pec to a small degree. I had to stop working out chest for about 3 months but I was able to do all other exercises for other body parts. After those 3 months off I was as good as new with my chest workouts,

Maybe you have a slight pec tear and should take some time off from chest and work on other parts. If you do decide to work chest I would recommend doing light and slow to see how your pec feels. If it feels ok I say go with it but be careful and don't lift through a tear like that again.

If you need some rehab methods for it Pm me and i'll let u know how i tended to it.

Joedog189

Thanks a lot, good advice. I am hoping I don't see bruising tomorrow. The tendon that connects the pec to the shoulder has been tight for some time and the warm ups really hurt, been like that for a month or two. I guess today it finally tore.

Did you still do shoulder presses?

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by biofx
    Last week, I got 315 5 times, today rep 3 i felt a little tear on the way down but got it up, then rep 4 more tear and i had to stop. Grabbed the 100's for first set of incline and at rep 6 it started killing me. I went home. I don't think I ripped the muscle off the bone, maybe just tore the tendon partly/ it was weird though, I could physically feel something ripping apart. The pain was intense when I went home, but 2 ibuprofen and it doesn't hurt that bad now.

Should I not lift for a week? What I am planning on doing is lifting normally except on shoulder day leave out the presses, and I'll test the pec next week.
    More like 3-4 months

joedog189 is offline New Member
    Did you still do shoulder presses?

I stayed away from them for the duration that I laid off of chest. Didn't want anything to interfere with the healing. Just did double duty on my front raises.

Joedog189

I have been doing some researching and I don't think I tore it. If I tore it I wouldn't have been able to do 6 reps of incline after (though they hurt when I did them). And I wouldn't be able to move my arm around. The **** hurt like hell though after about 20 mins.

Maybe i pulled it? what does a pull do? I physically felt **** ripping as I was bringing the weight down though. But I pressed it up no prob. any physio experts on here.

I have been doing some researching and I don't think I tore it. If I tore it I wouldn't have been able to do 6 reps of incline after (though they hurt when I did them). And I wouldn't be able to move my arm around. The **** hurt like hell though after about 20 mins.

Maybe i pulled it? what does a pull do? I physically felt **** ripping as I was bringing the weight down though. But I pressed it up no prob. any physio experts on here.
    If you felt it and could literally hear it then you ripped it. My advice to you is to lay off the weights until you know for sure what is wrong. See a **** doc. Nobody here on this board can diagnose your condition.

Don't be stupid.

Peace out

Dally is offline The Dally Lama
    I tore my pec and waited a week... I trained again, and made it worse. Now, after a month of layin off chest completely, I can hit it again, but with half the weight....

so, its just gonna take some time.

bloody shame tho, I feel ya on that one mang.

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    That happend to me. Took four months off. Am now rehabing it. Used to be able to 1RM 280. Now working up to 230. I go 1x12@45, 1x12@135, 1x9@185, 1x7@205, 1x5@215, 1x3@225, 1@230. Sometimes I can go all the way thru it, sometimes I can't. It's really inconsistant at this point. I also do board press at 235 on a smith machine. See a specailist for this. You need professional help. I probably did more damage trying to push thru pain instead of getting help right away.

imann is offline Member
    [QUOTE=BigMike J]If you felt it and could literally hear it then you ripped it. My advice to you is to lay off the weights until you know for sure what is wrong. See a **** doc. Nobody here on this board can diagnose your condition.

You should for sure lay off until you can seek medical advice, at least go see a trainer.

]

Quote Originally Posted by BigMike J
    If you felt it and could literally hear it then you ripped it. My advice to you is to lay off the weights until you know for sure what is wrong. See a **** doc. Nobody here on this board can diagnose your condition.

Don't be stupid.

Peace out
    I didn't hear it rip, I definitely felt it though. On the way down, I felt a tear, then I pressed it up no prob, so I did another rep, then felt more tear and I had a hard time pressing it. The tears felt small, like individual fibers.

Update:
    Today I did bi's no problem. No bruising and not much pain in the pec, only when I run up the stairs and my pec jiggles. It just feels really, really weird and I have very little ROM. I have a hard time putting on/taking off my shirt. I think I am looking at least a month off the bench maybe two. I think I made two very small tears. Count myself lucky, it could have been much much worse.

Thanks for all of the feedback, and how does this sound:
    Pound arms and legs as long as there is no discomfort or anything, leave out back and shoulders for a few weeks, then maybe incorporate some light shoulder raises, and test the chest lightly in a month or two.

I will use the injury for the better as my bi's, tri's, calves are my weak areas, and I am thick in the chest, shoulders, back. As long as I don't have to sit home for 3 months, which I am almost positive I won't have to, i am good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dally
    I tore my pec and waited a week... I trained again, and made it worse. Now, after a month of layin off chest completely, I can hit it again, but with half the weight....

so, its just gonna take some time.

bloody shame tho, I feel ya on that one mang.
    thanks bro, you still trained everything else though no problem? As long as i can pound arms and legs, no worries. I'll miss that bench though, it feels dam good.

trust me man, you will know where you tear a pec due to alot of dead giveaways, such as the discoloration of the actual muscle.

what youve done is strained your pec, theres no need to worry about it, but your gonna have to lay off any chest excercise for a couple weeks. electrolosys and stem will sooth the muscle, and make it feel better if you have access to either of those machines. you should also try icing for like 15 mins, 15 mins off a few times which will also help sooth it. you can train, but dont train chest like i said. dont train ANYTHING that involves chest as a seconday muscle also like some tricep excercises.

no need to worry i have done this plenty of times, and its frustrating, but youll be ok bro

Quote Originally Posted by itsallmental
    trust me man, you will know where you tear a pec due to alot of dead giveaways, such as the discoloration of the actual muscle.

what youve done is strained your pec, theres no need to worry about it, but your gonna have to lay off any chest excercise for a couple weeks. electrolosys and stem will sooth the muscle, and make it feel better if you have access to either of those machines. you should also try icing for like 15 mins, 15 mins off a few times which will also help sooth it. you can train, but dont train chest like i said. dont train ANYTHING that involves chest as a seconday muscle also like some tricep excercises.

no need to worry i have done this plenty of times, and its frustrating, but youll be ok bro
    Like i said nobody on this board can diagnose your condition. Go see a doc.

My insurance just ended, so I am not gonna see a doc. As long as I don't reaggravate it, it should heal fine.

I don't know if I just "strained" it, I was going to do squats today, but I literally can't get my right arm back far enough to hold the bar. I think I either tore it very very small, or pulled a tendon or something.

My insurance just ended, so I am not gonna see a doc. As long as I don't reaggravate it, it should heal fine.

I don't know if I just "strained" it, I was going to do squats today, but I literally can't get my right arm back far enough to hold the bar. I think I either tore it very very small, or pulled a tendon or something.
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by BigMike J
    Good luck
    Thanks if you're not being sarcastic.

Thanks if you're not being sarcastic.
    Nope.. really mean it. Good luck.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Thread Information