wired-up is offline Member

Workout frequency?

Per the sticky, here's some preliminary info:

Age, Bodyweight/fat
    26, Male, 173, 14%

Training Experience
    Off and on since I was 14, but consistant (3 or more days/wk) for the last 2.5 years

Goals
    Gain mass and strength. Shooting to be at 185 @12%BF by christmas.

Existing/Previous Injuries
    None.

Ergogenic Aids
    Protein and glutamine of course. Currently taking some PH/PS of 1-test (not M1T) and Finigenx (converts to Tren ).

Here's what my week looks like:

Monday:
    6:00am to lift chest and tri's heavy

Tuesday:
    7:00am cardio
    3:00pm to lift shoulders and legs heavy

Wednesday:
    6:00am to lift back and bi's heavy

Thursday:
    3:00pm to lift chest and tri's light

Friday:
    6:00am to lift shoulders and legs light

Saturday:
    2:00pm to lift back and bi's light

Sunday:
    rest

I've read a lot on here and seen widely varying workouts. I've done each muscle group once per week before and didn't gain all that much, so that's why I went to twice a week. Currently, each group gets at least 2 days off before they're lifted again. I know some people lift each muscle only once per week, but is this because of something you've read, or is it that you've tried more than that and your body told you you needed more rest. Is there a set, ideal amount to work out or is it just listen to your body? Also, for my goal of gaining size & mass, would it be better to cut back to each muscle only once per week? Someone at the gym today told me it will take longer to reach my size goal if I'm lifting 6 times per week. I want to get the size, but I don't want to gain fat while doing it. I'm following the Bulking Diet Sticky to a 'T' so nutrition isn't a concern. I've already gained 3lbs in 3 wks while my strength has gone up across the board and I feel that I'm leaning down (haven't gotten a BF check in a couple weeks to verify though). Thanks in advance for your input.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    You answered your own question-- listen to your body. That will dictate how many times a week to workout. Your schedule is pretty aggressive 6 days. I say do it but only for 2-3 weeks then take 2-3 days off for the next few weeks lifting heavy..

Thanks for the reply. I know to listen to my body to tell me if I'm overtraining, but I guess I was wondering more about if I'm doing too much to meet my goals. You say my schedule is aggressive and to do it for only a couple weeks. I've been doing it since May of this year. My diet has only been in line for about 3 weeks now though. Before that, not only did I not eat enough, but I wasn't eating the right stuff. Most of my intake was white carbs (ie. hamburger buns!) and if I was lucky, I might have gotten 100g of protein in one day. So I can't really compare my current results to then. For one, I wasn't getting any results, just maintaining. Would something like this be better?:

Monday:
    6:00am to lift chest and tri's heavy

Tuesday:

Wednesday:
    6:00am to lift back and bi's heavy

Thursday:

Friday:
    6:00am to lift shoulders and legs heavy

Saturday:

Sunday:
    rest

I have always heard and felt that if you are still sore from lifting the muscle a few days before, then your body is not recovered. If this happens (common on chest) then I'll skip that muscle group that day. I'm also thinking of making legs their own day, but then I don't know where to stick shoulders in so they're not already worn out.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Looks good if you decide to work legs only one day than add the shoulders with back. Shoulder muscles are a part of the back. It's hard to gain 12lbs of lbm in only 3 months without some extra b/f . But you have a good chance to gain 12 lbs and maintain the 14%b/f providing your diet is in check. Cut carbs out late evening. Instead of Saturday cardio take another rest day there. With 4 days cardio will help b/f but slow lbm gains. I do not know how tall you are but if you lose 2% b/f but only gain 5lbs lbm your overall body will look much better & bigger. I am only 5'6' 175-180LBS LEAN..(still to much gut lol) guys at the gym think I am way over 200lbs! It's funny as I see myself still small skinny little kid.. The spilt routine twice a day is advanced but if your goal is b/f loss then that will be good to do.. Good luck

Sorry, I'm 5'9". I'm fine with my current BF, especially if maintaining it would help gain more LBM. I think I might switch up my routine a little. I've been reading some other people's splits and might try some of them. I'm eating the right foods, but I'm still trying to get upto the amount that I should be at. My BMR is 1829.02 so I figure I should be eating about 3300 cals/day. So far, the most I've been able to hit was 2700. I'm trying to eat more, but it's tough (and expensive). I eat about every 2-3 hours. Most of the time, I don't feel hungry when I do eat. Just got to get used to it I guess.

ToJuice,OrNotToJuice is offline Associate Member
    Like Blue said, listen to your body, but I was running the heavy light day workouts like you are and I couldn't stand it. I am going five days a week high intensity for about an hour, low reps, high weight, each muscle hit once a week. That plan works the best for me. If you ant more info PM me.

I actually have switched now. I got to where I was just tired all the time. big clue, right? so i cut back to lifting 3 days a week (Tue,Thur,Sat) and cardio 3 days a week(mon,wed,fri) with sunday off. i'm already feeling better. plus i got my workout partner to agree to lifting in the evenings instead of the mornings. no more 6am's! i posted here originally that i was 14%BF. I got checked with calipers today and I was 10.2%. problem is that genetically, I carry all of it in my stomach, chest and love handles. my legs are pretty lean already with decent definition without really trying. my upper body is a different story though! just gotta keep lifting and eating right though thanks to you guys here, i've been eating right for the last month now.

Thread Information