Physical_Specimen is offline Junior Member

ABS-the once neglected muscle group

Yo Bro's! Well where should I start, ive been training for 2 years now. Up til today I have never done a crunch, really never even thought about it. You know how it is, you first start training, your thinking about the upper body (arms, pecs, back) . . well seeing how I now have a fair size in the upper body region. It is now time to focus on the "neglected muscle group" . . Here is my new ab workout and the question I have will follow after . . .

AB WORKOUT
    Warm Up
    5 min on bike, Twist (with pole) 2 sets 15 - 20 reps
    ABs (done in order as listed)
    Air bike 3 sets 20-30 seconds
    Vertical bench knee raise 3 sets 12 - 15 reps
    Crunch (compound set) with hip thrust 4 sets 12 - 15 reps each
    Wrap Up
    5 min bike
    stretch out abs

So my questions are, how does this approach to getting lean, mean abs look?
    and most importantly people, seeing how I have not trained these, I am un-educated with on and off days . . so how often should I train abs? keep in mind that I want to train them the maximum limit . . . thank you people, your alright

and also, a compound set is sets done consecutively. Correct?

BDTR is offline Retired
    Weighted crunches on the decline board and hyperextension board. Hanging leg raises with a dumbell between my feet. 8-10 reps on all exercises. My abs respond best to low reps like the rest of my body. They got thicker than ever when i started low reps/heavy weights.

I train my abs once a week.

wow only once a week, are you developing definition in them yet? . . have you always worked abs once a week? . . .

Yea im gonna be going onto the declind board within a month or so after my routine that was just posted . . I think I want to build my abs up, get a lil more resistence in them before crunching on the painful declind board . .

thanks for posting your experiences

BDTR is offline Retired
    I train abs like every other muscle; once a week.

I've trained them in all sorts of ways, from heavy to light, from daily to every other week. heavy weights, moderate to low reps and once a week works best for me.

As for definition in them... i can see them with bodyfat as high as 15%.

Quote Originally Posted by Physical_Specimen
    wow only once a week, are you developing definition in them yet? . . have you always worked abs once a week? . . .

Yea im gonna be going onto the declind board within a month or so after my routine that was just posted . . I think I want to build my abs up, get a lil more resistence in them before crunching on the painful declind board . .

Bump

can I train abs every day, or evey other day without overtraining them?

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    You approach will not work for developing mean abs. Only cardio and dieting will burn the fat off and reveal your abs. You exercises are fine to strengthen and develop them. I would work them 1-3 times a week depending if you are going to externally load them.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Abs can be worked more than once a week and evan everyother day IMO. The Rectus Abdominis is your center point where all blood flows therefore it gets oxygenated quickly and if they get oxygen they have the ability to recovery quicker. Abs I think respond more to higher reps much like the calves but There are times to do low rep heavy weight like BDTR does. I do both but if there is fat and they get bigger your waistline will growwwwwwww..

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    If want to see the abs you must diet. As Bluethunder says, if you train them and you are fat you just look fatter. If you want thick abs, do as bdtr says. If want to have a tiny waist, just stick with body weight movements and train to failure.

Thread Information