Aggression is offline Member

Confused about sets and reps

Should you change your set and rep scheme every time you change your routine?

I change my routine every 5 weeks. That's when I change the exercises I do, the order I do them in, the order of the days I do certain body parts, etc.

Also, what is the ideal set and rep scheme? Would lifting 3 days a week, 7 exercises a workout, 4 sets reps of 10,8,6, and one last set to failure (about 4) all while increasing the weight each set, be too much?

Would it be better if I did only 3 sets reps of 8,6, and one last set to failure (about 4) all while increasing the weight each set?
    Last edited by Aggression; 10-03-2004 at 02:18 PM.

Anyone?

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Just post up a sample workout it will be a lot easier to evaluate

I'm 24 years old 6' 220 with alot of bodyfat. I lift every mon,wed,fri.

Day 1 Mon

Seated rows
    Wide grip lat pull downs/Close grip lat pull downs (alt every week)
    EZ bar preacher curls/Incline dumbell hammer curls (alt every week)
    Close grip upright rows
    Barbell shrugs

Day 2 Weds

Squats/Deads (alt every week)
    Leg Curls/Leg extensions (alt every week)
    Standing calve raises/glute raises (alt every week)
    Kneeling cable crunches
    Cable side bends

Day 3 Fri

Incline/decline dumbell press (alt every week)
    Front barbell lat raises
    Tricep pushdowns (alt grip every week)
    Reverse flys
    4 way neck machine

Most exercises (except for the two I will list) will be 4 sets, reps of 10,8,6, and one last set to failure (about 4 reps) all while increasing the weight each set.

The two exceptions will be deads which I will do 4 sets, reps of 5,4,3 and one last set to failure (about 2 reps) all while increasing the weight each set.

And finally the 4 way neck machine which I will do 4 sets, the first three sets will be of 10 reps and the last set will be to failure (still trying to get 10 reps) all while increasing the weight each set.

I will change my workout (exercises, order of body parts, etc) every 5 weeks.

Some questions I have:

1) I'm doing 5 exercises a workout. Is that too many? Will I be overtraining?

2) How do my sets and reps look?

3) Can I make good gains in size and strength with this workout?

4) Is it good that I am alternating every week doing squats one week than deads the next?

5) Is it good that I am alternating certain exercises every week?
    Last edited by Aggression; 10-04-2004 at 03:30 PM.

Come on bros I need some help!

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggression

I change my routine every 5 weeks. That's when I change the exercises I do, the order I do them in, the order of the days I do certain body parts, etc.

Also, what is the ideal set and rep scheme? Would lifting 3 days a week, 7 exercises a workout, 4 sets reps of 10,8,6, and one last set to failure (about 4) all while increasing the weight each set, be too much?

Would it be better if I did only 3 sets reps of 8,6, and one last set to failure (about 4) all while increasing the weight each set?
    i stick to the same routine year round and progressively increase weight and lower reps
    progressive resistance is what you want. so yes you need to change the rep scheme. this is what i do

week1-2 10 reps
    3-4 8 reps

5-6 6 reps

somthing like that

Bigpup101 is offline Senior Member

I didnt really read any other posts to this thread but, first off you shouldn't have a set week where you will always change ur routine..i'll stick w/ a program for 6 months if i'm still making strength or size progress...and as far as reps/ sets you usually have to workout for a lil' bit to get to know ur body and what it responds best too..if you want strength i would stay between the 4-6 rep range for size 8-12 i do more 4 sets on a particular body part when i'm going for strength and 3 sets w/ the higher reps...

I didnt really read any other posts to this thread but, first off you shouldn't have a set week where you will always change ur routine..i'll stick w/ a program for 6 months if i'm still making strength or size progress...and as far as reps/ sets you usually have to workout for a lil' bit to get to know ur body and what it responds best too..if you want strength i would stay between the 4-6 rep range for size 8-12 i do more 4 sets on a particular body part when i'm going for strength and 3 sets w/ the higher reps...

Thread Information