xenithon is offline Member

Question More Weight, Less Pain??

Hi All,

Unfortunately I have a fairly week bone structure and composition (a number of sports doctors say its simple genetics ) but I have gotten used to it and found those exercises appopriate for my body type. However when younger I was quite naive and overdid it and thus both my shoulders suffer from pain with many movements, especially shoulder and chest exercises (impingment syndrome in the one and osteolysis in the other lol )

Recently I have been doing chest using DB's instead of BB as it was less painful. I took the advice of so many and started light focusing purely of form. What I found oddly enough is that the first few sets, which were quite light and consisted of 10-15 reps, hurt my shoulders. However in the past few weeks I have ventured much heavier, and in the last 2-3 sets which are heavy, 5-6 reps, I had virtually no pain in the shoulders! Is there some reason for this? Should I keep doing the higher weights or go back down to lower weights? Bear in mind that the heavy sets did not suffer in form, if I lose form I drop the weight.

X

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    Odd that heavier wieghts caused less pain.

Maybe the heavier weights cause you to get off of the proper form.

Maybe it is just repetative movement that causes your pain.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Yea odd, I would continue heavy IF & only IF no pain. The only logical answer is at the higher weight you may not be getting the complete stretch on the eccentric part of the lift(down) and perhaps you using more arms& shoulders vs. pecs but this is only a guess.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Are you sure that you are warmed-up properly for the "first few sets" that hurt??
    It might not be the weights in the latter sets, just might be that you are more warmed up then.

xenithon is offline Member
    Yup, warm up for 10-15 minutes before chest due to the shoulder situation. I have tried in past workouts using only lower weights, perfect form, higher reps, and this was painful even in the last few sets of using lower weight.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    I would become intimately acquainted with the ice pack and try some anti-inflammatory meds.

ToJuice,OrNotToJuice is offline Associate Member
    I have the same thing on squats some of the lighter warm up sets just feel aquired then the heavy ones feel good. I would warm up really good and just stick with the heavier weight and watch the form.

Thread Information