se11 is offline Associate Member

No abs while bulking?

This is true? Since you can't really cardio all that much, so wouldn't working abs be pointless, or can you successfully train abs while bulking?

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    Yes, train 'em! The whole point of training during bulking is try and get hypertrophy and hyperplasia. Meaning growing, thickining. If not your abs will lag when you cut. Plus, you need body core exercises to make sure you can handle more weight above and below your chest.

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    Ab exercises arent cardio, theyre regular exercises like curls and extensions. Build up a 6-pack so you dont get a keg.

ToJuice,OrNotToJuice is offline Associate Member
    Your abs aren't going to grow like you chest or legs, but they will thicken and sharpen up, so do them while your bulking and you will see the difference once you diet down.

se11 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ToJuice,OrNotToJuice
    Your abs aren't going to grow like you chest or legs, but they will thicken and sharpen up, so do them while your bulking and you will see the difference once you diet down.
    once a week good enough for working them?

Big Slick is offline Associate Member
    Abs and calves are smooth muscles and can be worked everyday is so desired. Once a week probably is not good enough, but it depends on your goals.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Keep the abs strong!! Its crucial for deadlift and squat strenght. And you want them heavy squats and deadlifts when bulking

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    While bulking I do abs 2 times a week. When cutting i only switch it up and do them 3 times a week.

The reason. I need to slim down my waist when cutting... not fat. Muscle. WHen you overtrain your abs... just like anyother muscle... they will shrink.

But you need to train abs year round. Would you ask if you should train arms or legs while bulking? of course not. You train them year round.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    You can do ab training more per week than most muscles because they oxygenize rapidly therefore promote quick recovery. For the most part you if you are trying to grow them that is classified as hypertrophy NOT hyperplasia! You are increasing the SIZE of the myofibrils(fibers) where as hyperplasia is a actual increase in the amount(number) muscle cells. This can only be achieved in the most advance/pro level bodybuilder. HGH can do this too. And for the abs being a smooth muscle that is FALSE! Your body has 3 types> 1. skeletal(striated) 2. cardiac 3. visceral also known as smooth. The walls of blood vessels are smooth (they do not contract) but striated muscles are voluntary and contract. In regards to bulking just remember its normal to gain some extra unwanted b/f. Having said that do not expect your abs to completly shine through..that comes from diet/aerobic exercises(cardio). Peace out
    Last edited by bluethunder; 10-05-2004 at 06:24 PM. Reason: spelling

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    You can do ab training more per week than most muscles because they oxygenize rapidly therefore promote quick recovery. For the most part you if you are trying to grow them that is classified as hypertrophy NOT hyperplasia! You are increasing the SIZE of the myofibrils(fibers) where as hyperplasia is a actual increase in the amount(number) muscle cells. This can only be achieved in the most advance/pro level bodybuilder. HGH can do this too. And for the abs being a smooth muscle that is FALSE! Your body has 3 types> 1. skeletal(striated) 2. cardiac 3. visceral also known as smooth. The walls of blood vessels are smooth (they do not contract) but striated muscles are voluntary and contract. In regards to bulking just remember its normal to gain some extra unwanted b/f. Having said that do not expect your abs to completly shine through..that comes from diet/aerobic exercises(cardio). Peace out
    Good post.

carbs-rule is offline Associate Member
    I think you can get by doing abs once per week while bulking, maybe twice if you feel like it. I'm not going for huge ab muscles, especially because my body type makes me look fatter with larger obliques. Other lifting techniques work your abs also. Abs seem to take much less time to look like they have developed a lot of muscles, especially if you are cut.

Thread Information