Thread: 20 rep sets

test is best is offline Associate Member

20 rep sets

Ive always read heavy weight low reps for mass,well since ive went to 20 rep
    squats ive had the best gains.
    My question is if 20 reps is good for legs why not 20 rep curls or 20 rep bench
    Im going to try it!

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by test is best
    Ive always read heavy weight low reps for mass,well since ive went to 20 rep
    squats ive had the best gains.
    My question is if 20 reps is good for legs why not 20 rep curls or 20 rep bench
    Im going to try it!
    Give it a try but the muscle composition differs between muscle groups - and thus training should differ. Quads need higher reps to get them to grow - where hamstrings are better off working more explosive in lower rep ranges. From personal experience, my arms get a good burn with lower reps but using super/giant sets. Delts need a lot of time under tensions too (frequently using static contractions have worked well) - you recruit them all day. Calves need at least 40 seconds of time under tension. Back and Chest need explosive lower reps more frequently than other muscle groups.

A simple way to find a good rep-range for your particular muscle make-up is to try calculating your Power Factor - see what give you the highest result... everyone is different...

PF = (REPS*SETS)/TIME

test is best is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior
    Give it a try but the muscle composition differs between muscle groups - and thus training should differ. Quads need higher reps to get them to grow - where hamstrings are better off working more explosive in lower rep ranges. From personal experience, my arms get a good burn with lower reps but using super/giant sets. Delts need a lot of time under tensions too (frequently using static contractions have worked well) - you recruit them all day. Calves need at least 40 seconds of time under tension. Back and Chest need explosive lower reps more frequently than other muscle groups.

A simple way to find a good rep-range for your particular muscle make-up is to try calculating your Power Factor - see what give you the highest result... everyone is different...

PF = (REPS*SETS)/TIME
    thanks bro,what do you mean buy super or giant sets,thanks

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by test is best
    thanks bro,what do you mean buy super or giant sets,thanks
    Super sets is combining 2 sets with no rest interval. Giant sets are 3 or more sets with no rest. For example you could superset Barbell Curls with Seated Dumbell Curls... using 8-10 reps each - you can completely burn those fast-twitch fibers and at the same time nail the more endurance-orientated slow-twitch. Another good way to use super/giant sets is by pairing opposing muscle groups, like Biceps/Triceps, Quads/Hams, Back/Chest, ...

Here is how I apply the Charles Staley method very other- or every third... it leaves you feeling like someone beat you with a bat from your upper arms down to your forearms... so don't do it too often - dependent on your training level...

You want to keep the reps at about 10-15 - so adjust the load as you go. But the first 5 minutes of each should be relatively easy.

Superset A, 20 minutes (not 10... not 15 - 20 mikes!)
    [A-1] Standing Barbell Curls, around 10 reps
    [A-2] Rope Tricep Extensions, around 12-15 reps

Rest 10 minutes - or once the swelling goes down... then...

Superset B, another 20 minutes
    [B-1] Tricep Cambered Extensions, around 10 reps
    [B-2] Reverse Grip Cambered Curls, around 12-15 reps

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Everyone is different so I say go for it. High volume has worked for me escpecially strength and toning. Like Warrior said you have different % of slow/fast twitch muscles fibers which may be the reason you are seeing some results. Supersets,trisets & Giant sets are absolutely needed IMO.

Thread Information