Thread: Rep scheme?

Aggression is offline Member

Rep scheme?

I originally was gonna do 5 sets reps of 10,8,6,4, and 1 last set to failure (which I would be able to do about 2) for my rep scheme but on the other board someone recommended that I do less sets and ditch my last set to '2'.

After researching the matter I was thinking of only doing 3 sets reps of 8,6, and 1 last set to failure (which I should be able to do 4). I also plan on doing my deads 3 sets reps of 5,4, and 1 last set to failure (about 3) and 4 way neck machine with 3 sets reps of 15,12, and 1 last set to failure (about 10).
    I am training just to get a good base and some functional strength for when I start boxing in a couple months.

I have 2 questions:

1) Does this rep scheme look ok for my goals of a good base and some functional strength for when I start boxing in a couple months?

2) Would this be a good rep scheme even if I wasn't training for boxing? If I was just weightlifting and wanted to get bigger and stronger, would this be a good rep scheme?

Here is my training routine:

Day 1 Mon

Flat dumbell press
    Seated dumbell shoulder press
    Seated bent over reverse flys
    Seated dumbell shrugs

Day 2 Wed

Squats
    Deadlifts
    Standing calve raises
    4 way neck machine

Day 3 Fri

Seated cable rows
    Wide grip lat pulldowns
    Kneeling rope cable crunches
    Cable side bends

I'm 24 years old 6' 225 and haven't really lifted in 3 years.

I will do this for 6 weeks and than I will add an exercise to each day (leg curls and leg extensions to day 2 and side lateral raises to day 1.

I will also be doing some light rotator cuff exercises after each workout. Not to mention stretching before, during, and after my workout.
    Last edited by Aggression; 09-26-2004 at 04:09 PM.

Will_1 is offline Associate Member
    Im still a newb but ive seen fantastic gains mixing it up. Heavy one week 4-6 reps with a few sets. Light the next week with 10-20 reps with several sets. I have improved my strenght and endurance.

ToJuice,OrNotToJuice is offline Associate Member
    I wouldn't set the amount a reps, go for a weight that you can push for 4-6, once you hit 7 it is time to move up in weight.

Thread Information