Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator

Post Tendonitis and Tenosynovitis

Been reading up on this thought it maybe of some use here?

Tendonitis and Tenosynovitis

--An inflammation of the tendon (tendonitis) and lining of the tendon sheath (tenosynovitis) characterized by pain on movement of the associated joint.

Causes and Incidence The etiology is often unknown, but individuals are thought to be more susceptible as degenerative changes occur in the vascularity of the tendons, causing a slower response to repetitive microtrauma. Repetitive movements, strain, or excessive, unaccustomed exercise may be causes. Underlying systemic disease (e.g., rheumatoid arthritis, gout, sclerosis, and disseminated gonococcal infections) may also be a cause. Middle-aged and older adults and athletes or individuals with occupations requiring repetitive motion are at greatest risk.

Disease Process Repetitive microtrauma damages the fibers in the common extensor tendon of the involved joint, causing extravasations of tissue fluid and setting up an inflammatory process. Over time, healing builds fibrous, inelastic tissue and scarring, which often bind the tendon and sheath together, limiting joint motion.

Symptoms The involved tendons usually show visible swelling; the joint may be tender and hot to the touch; motion of the joint causes pain.

Potential Complications Rupture of the tendon is a possible complication.

Diagnostic Tests The diagnosis is based on a history of repetitive motion or underlying disease and physical examination of the joint. Radiology may show calcium deposits in the tendon or tendon sheath.

Treatments

Surgery
    Removal of calcium deposits in cases unresponsive to other treatment; release of fibroosseous tunnels associated with de Quervain's disease; tenosynovectomy for chronic inflammation associated with rheumatoid arthritis

Drugs
    Oral or locally injected corticosteroids to relieve inflammation; analgesics/anti-inflammatory drugs to relieve pain

General
    Moist heat compresses to joint; rest of joint with controlled progressive exercise program

Tendon , one of many white, glistening fibrous bands of tissue that attach muscle to bone. Except at points of attachment, tendons are tubular shaped in delicate fibroblastic connective tissue. Larger tendons have a thin inner dividing wall (septum), a few blood vessels, and specialized stereognostic nerves. Tendons are extremely strong and flexible, inelastic, and occur in various lengths and thickness.

Corticosteroid /kor'tikostir'oid/, any one of the hormones made in the outer layer of the adrenal gland (adrenal cortex). They influence or control key functions of the body, as making carbohydrates and proteins, working of the heart and lung systems, and functions of the muscles, kidneys, and other organs. The release of these hormones increases during stress, especially in anxiety and severe injury. Too much of these hormones in the body is linked with various disorders, as Cushing's syndrome. The skeletal muscles need the correct amount of corticosteroids to work normally. Corticosteroids can also be given to patients to help certain disorders, as swelling or failure of the glands to make enough for the body

Excerpted from Mosby's Medical Encyclopedia. Copyright (c) 1994-5, 1996, 1997 The Learning Company Inc. All Rights Reserved

Dr.Evil is offline Retired Moderator
    cool post. i wonder if the pain i get from winny could be classified as tendonitis or the other thing. whatever it is it's damn annoying...

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator
    Originally posted by Dr.Evil
    cool post. i wonder if the pain i get from winny could be classified as tendonitis or the other thing. whatever it is it's damn annoying...
    Well, the technical name for "the other thng" is DeQuervain's Tenosynovitis, and it's diagnosed by using The Finklestein Test. (I kid you not.)

So okay, kids, let's all do this one together! Ready? (Everybody say, "Yeah!")

Take your right hand, bend your thumb under your palm, and make a fist so that your first couple of fingers are wrapped around your thumb.

Now hold your arm in front of your chest, bent at the elbow so that your hand is pointing toard your left.

Loosen your wrist and, with your left hand, move your right hand only outward from your body. In other words, move your right hand so that it bends slightly at the wrist.

If your wrist suddenly hurts like hell - a sharp, stabbing pain - then it means that you have a positive Finklestein test and, thus, that you have DeQuervain's.

Obviously, if you want to check for tenosynovitis in the left wrist, just do the same thing in reverse - left arm out, bent at elbow, hand facing toward your right, make fist with your thumb bent inward and inside the fingers, then use your right hand to move the left forward at the wrist. Again, if you feel like screaming (and yes, the pain is that sharp), you've got a positive Finklestein.

(By the way, if that's the case, make sure you say that to your doctor. To walk in and say, "I've got a positive Finklestein" is so esoteric that it will impress the hell out of anyone. )

For both tendinitis and tenosynovitis, the primary treatment is cortizone shots. They work wonders, but you can only have a maximum of three shots to any one site before you begin to weaken the bone structure. They are, however, worth trying before having any surgery. Once you've had either condition (and I had several shots for DeQuervain's a few years ago), believe me, you'll learn how to use correct lifting form at all times - and yes, both of these conditions can be caused by improper weight lifting techniques.

You can read more about tendinitis and tenosynovitis in the home version of Ther Merck Manual. It's at the end of the chapter that you'll find at this link.
    Last edited by TNT; 03-12-2002 at 04:29 PM.

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    I beleive winny tends to dry the joints "out" could be because of this you experience some pain.Where does it hurt?

Good post TNT I knew you would take it one step further LOL

Thread Information