Thread: Progression

mcvays1 is offline Junior Member

Progression

Do you need to add weights every week to your workout and if so by how much?

Aboot is offline Banned
    This is a pretty broad question. You should stick to a rep scheme and then attempt to reach psoitive failure or near failure on most of your working sets (or whatever your "program" or system calls for). Add weight according to that.

Not sure if that helps, but there you go.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcvays1
    Do you need to add weights every week to your workout and if so by how much?
    You should overload every week to expose your muscles to something they have never been exposed to before in order to grow. It is impossible to add weight "every week." Overload can be accomplished in many ways~

Pork Chop is offline Member
    If all variables are in check - You should be getting stronger every week.
    Measure your progress by keeping a log.

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    Log, log, log, every one loves a log. ROFL

Quote Originally Posted by 63190
    Log, log, log, every one loves a log. ROFL
    How do you measure your strength increases?

radar1234 is offline Member
    always try and increase your poundages every workout(yes, every workout),even if its only a couple of pounds its still an improvement.your body will naturally adapt to the weight.never be complacent.always push your muscles to improve.
    too many people stay with the same weight and never make any gains.

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    Something that has worked for me is to add 5-10lbs every week or so. One thing Ive been doing since I started was working up to a wieght that suits me for a good hard set of 8 reps or so and doing that for 4 sets. Lets use the alphabet for demonstration. We'll call this A A A A. Then after a couple weeks where I can get 10 solid reps on each set Ill add 5-10lbs and the new wieght will look like this A A B B. do the same thing. The A sets will probably have 12 reps and hte B's might have 6-8. Then after working the B's up to 10 solid reps move up to A B B C. Once you can get the C's for 10 strong reps, move up to B B C C. You could do a B B B B for one week but not for too long because you might loose the ability to do C for 10reps.

These numbers dont have to be 6-8 or 10, use what ever youre comfortable with. This is basically what Ive been doing for 2 years and it works for me. Recap.
    A A A A
    A A B B
    B B B B could throw in here or after next
    A B B C
    B B C C...and so forth

decadbal is offline Banned
    this is all bull****t, if you guys are all going up 5 or 10lbs aweek, then you must be the strongest ppl in the world, or just plain out not have a clue what you doing... your reps will show strength increases.. also there are so many things that go into how much u can lift today versus tomorrow on the same lift... keep a log, thats the best advice ive read so far, the rest is BS and ignore it.

mass junkie is offline banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Decadbal
    this is all bull****t, if you guys are all going up 5 or 10lbs aweek, then you must be the strongest ppl in the world, or just plain out not have a clue what you doing... your reps will show strength increases.. also there are so many things that go into how much u can lift today versus tomorrow on the same lift... keep a log, thats the best advice ive read so far, the rest is BS and ignore it.
    lol, no ****, If I were able to increase weight every week id be on the worlds strongest man competitions in a couple of months...hell in a couple of years id be bigger than Ronnie Coleman

who said 5-10 lbs per week?i myself always try to increase my weight as to not get stagnant with my lifts.if i can do an excersise for 10-12 reps i will increase my weight a couple of lbs the next time until i can do that weight for 10-12 reps and so on.
    so next time you post a reply, ask for carification before you shoot your mouth off.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    To answer you question no you do not need to add weight EVERY WORKOUT. Not possible to do it every time. You need to gain some strength not only in you muscles but ligaments,tendons too before you really increase the amount of weight. You can keep the same weight but increasing your intensity by either reps, rest time, volume. However, sooner or later you do need to add the weight to continue your advancement. How much time depends on you and your body, diet, ect..

Quote Originally Posted by radar1234
    who said 5-10 lbs per week?i myself always try to increase my weight as to not get stagnant with my lifts.if i can do an excersise for 10-12 reps i will increase my weight a couple of lbs the next time until i can do that weight for 10-12 reps and so on.
    so next time you post a reply, ask for carification before you shoot your mouth off.
    wtfe... maybe u should read a book on this, instead of just add a few lbs every workout. retard

wtfe... maybe u should read a book on this, instead of just add a few lbs every workout. retard
    i guess online is the only place you can get lippy.thats too bad.

your funny, you think your smart eh... here u go, do the math... start day one, doing chest... at 100lbs, add 5lbs to it each workout... by the end of a year, you will be benching well over 300lbs... i dont see that happeneing, so come up with some other brainstorm way to miseducate a newb. or just shut up... either way, im done with your dont know jack shiit ass..

your funny, you think your smart eh... here u go, do the math... start day one, doing chest... at 100lbs, add 5lbs to it each workout... by the end of a year, you will be benching well over 300lbs... i dont see that happeneing, so come up with some other brainstorm way to miseducate a newb. or just shut up... either way, im done with your dont know jack shiit ass..
    dont worry,ive seen your "bulking" pic and i sure as hell wouldnt take advise from someone as out of shape as you.at least i contribute to this forum rather than talk about bull sh*t in the ar lounge all day.your a joke!

haha, pics like 2 years old.... and bloated is more the word for it.. but whatever, u know it all... ill cya at the O one day im sure
    Last edited by Decadbal; 10-25-2004 at 08:01 PM. Reason: not arguing with the retard jackoff

haha, pics like 2 years old.... and bloated is more the word for it.. but whatever, u know it all... ill cya at the O one day im sure
    get a life.

You should continue adding weight to every workout.
    If you've got the balls to carry on for a year - you'll have to add extra time in between workouts to allow more time for your BIGGER muscles to recouperate if you want to continue seeing gains.
    But eventually, you'll hit your genetic potential; then sauce it up good.

G-Force is offline Anabolic Member
    i pretty much always try to add weight each workout - i always keep a log and will either add weight and try for the same amount of reps or stick with the same weight and try and get another rep

recently i have been adding 5kg to my bench every week and staying with 10 reps (however i am on test/dbol /winny)

well i say every week - by the 4th week i added another 5kg and only got 6reps

i'm pissed off with myself if i havent added an extra rep to one of my sets or increased the weight a bit (even if its just 2lbs) from the previous week - on or off cycle

i always up it in some way from the workout before

progression is the name of the game

Quote Originally Posted by G-Force
    i pretty much always try to add weight each workout - i always keep a log and will either add weight and try for the same amount of reps or stick with the same weight and try and get another rep

recently i have been adding 5kg to my bench every week and staying with 10 reps (however i am on test/dbol /winny)

well i say every week - by the 4th week i added another 5kg and only got 6reps

i'm pissed off with myself if i havent added an extra rep to one of my sets or increased the weight a bit (even if its just 2lbs) from the previous week - on or off cycle

i always up it in some way from the workout before

progression is the name of the game
    i agree. ive been stuck on the same weight for sometimes a couple of weeks but once i hit my target rep range i bump it up a couple pounds and try for more.its all about pushing yourself.

Thread Information