Chemical King is offline Anabolic Member

Gains have stopped

I have noticed that over the past 2 months that my gains have completly stopped. When I first started out in January this year, by the time I got to june people were starting to comment on my gains but now even my girlfreind says im not gaining any more.

Ive tried to swap exersizes around a bit but to be honest the gym I use is a little underequiped but it is right on my doorstep.

Any help or ideas would be great

bignatt is offline Anabolic Member
    Sometimes that just happens i had a time where i was going heavy for a while i totally stopped gaining anything so i switched up my workouts still no gains it wasnt until i decided to go light for a few months that i got bigger and stronger so i think if your going light go heavy for a month or two and if your going heavy now go light for a month or two and i know youll think you wont get as big by going lighter if your going heavy now but beleive me i thought the same thing and i got great gains and now im going heavy again

6plates is offline Banned
    you could do alot of things bro.

try switching up your diet/routine/time you train/excercises/etc etc, possibility's are endless.

decadbal is offline Banned
    change your workout

NeedPaintoGain is offline Junior Member
    Yeah bro, switch your routine....or if you feel like it, take a couple weeks off...It sucks I know, but I did it, and my gains increased and i got past sticking points in weights.

mass junkie is offline banned
    post your routine and we can give our .02 cc's worth on what can be changed to shock your muscles into growing again

Iam currently lifting heavy at the minute, so will try lifting light but should I lift light weight for longer?

My routine is as follows :

day 1 : cardio / chest / tri /
    day 2 : back shoulders
    day 3: cardio /Biceps / abs / legs

If I fit a day 4 in my routine I usually target the chest or shoulders.

I have tried switching thiongs around a bit and doing different exersizes but nothing seems to work so think I may try lifting light for longer

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    I hope you dont do cardio BEFORE your workouts...

Check out your diet that could be the culprit.

Iam a little guilty of doing cardio before lifting, but only cos im short on time. I do plan to do it on a different day altogether

u need to get a 5day split.. no cardio preworkout...

GREENMACHINE is offline Are you green enough?

Smile

Should he do at least 5-10 min to warm up?????????

warm up sets for the body parts hes workin... thats all id do.. or have ever.. so id say no..

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Incoporate Periodization~

Just do the same amount of sets go to like 10 reps

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Drop the cardio.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Quote Originally Posted by GREENMACHINE
    Should he do at least 5-10 min to warm up?????????
    Maybe a decent paced walk just to get a sweat going, but no cardio before lifting for the love of god. Also sounds like diet could be an issue here as well. I have all but dropped the 5-10 minutes on the treadmill for a warmup and started doing light warmup sets.

I know you say you are short on time but you gotta think, how bad do you want your gains?

Also a 5 day split would help IMO.

Ok I think I might drop the treadmill altogether as this is where I find I sweat more but want to keep the rest as Id like to maintain a little bit arobic activity.
    My diet is much better than it used to be when I first started the gym so don't think that is the issue here I think its more a case of technique, so I think ill try doing more sets on less weight to try consolidate my strength and get a bit definition to my body then take it from there.

Thanks guys

Pork Chop is offline Member
    Lifting light won't stimulate your muscle fibres into growth - you'll only burn energy, and not get big.. further hindering gains.

You said you made great gains, you're muscles got bigger, so you simply need more rest to recouperate. I'd give yourself an extra 3 or 4 days in between workouts. Eat a little more. You should continue to grow.

I also wouldn't change the exercises if they've proven to work well on you.

I mean, do you think your muscle is getting smart to that exercise and is refusing to grow, so you do something different to trick it?

I beg to differ because most pros go light and they are huge are they not? i dont mean light like 15 reps i mean like 10 reps

unclemoney is offline Senior Member
    If light is 10 reps then what is heavy?

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    Quote Originally Posted by bignatt
    I beg to differ because most pros go light and they are huge are they not? i dont mean light like 15 reps i mean like 10 reps
    pros got huge in the first place by lifting heavy. THeir are a few genetic freaks who are exceptions. Coleman used to be a powerlifter i believe

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    Quote Originally Posted by unclemoney
    If light is 10 reps then what is heavy?
    heavy is training to absolute failure. Different rep ranges hit different muscle fibers. after reps go over 10-12 in many muscles but not all, bodybuilder type muscle fibers are not getting targeted. but many guys see growth in up to 20 reps in legs.

Powrlftr is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop
    Lifting light won't stimulate your muscle fibres into growth - you'll only burn energy, and not get big.. further hindering gains.

You said you made great gains, you're muscles got bigger, so you simply need more rest to recouperate. I'd give yourself an extra 3 or 4 days in between workouts. Eat a little more. You should continue to grow.
    It depends on just how overtrained he is. If he is chronicly overtrained for years I would recommend taking a couple weeks off then going light for a couple weeks just to prevent atrophy and to regularly throw in light weeks w/possibly more time off depending on how bad a condition he's in. Eating more is also a good idea if he doesn't have to stay at or near any particular weight.

heavy sets to me are 4-6 reps i do all my training to failure

Bignat so you think I should lift a heavy weight untill failure for 4-6 sets ? Should I do this for every exersize ?

Quote Originally Posted by IronReload04
    pros got huge in the first place by lifting heavy. THeir are a few genetic freaks who are exceptions. Coleman used to be a powerlifter i believe
    no, just played football, hes strong enoug to be a PLer, just not fat enough..lol

Quote Originally Posted by Chemical King
    Bignat so you think I should lift a heavy weight untill failure for 4-6 sets ? Should I do this for every exersize ?
    If you were lifting light i suggest go heavy if lifting heavy now i suggest you go light somewhere arond 10 reps

SMYL_GR8 is offline Senior Member
    This isnt a matter of light vs. heavy. You must get the muscle out the neuromuscular pattern it gets habituated to. This means changing up the sequence of exercises on a given body part and incorporating Supersets, Giant Sets, Tri-Sets, Compound sets, anything that will retrain the muscle and force blood into it. ALL pros do this at some point.

You dont think going from heavy to light sends a shock to the body?

syncere is offline New Member
    bro try to sleep more, and heavy deads,
    spent more time in the cage!
    Last edited by syncere; 10-28-2004 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SMYL_GR8
    You must get the muscle out the neuromuscular pattern it gets habituated to. This means changing up the sequence of exercises on a given body part and incorporating Supersets, Giant Sets, Tri-Sets, Compound sets, anything that will retrain the muscle and force blood into it. ALL pros do this at some point.

So you're saying the muscle is getting smart to his routine?
    Maybe he should keep a dumbell under the bed.. set the alarm for 2am.. then SURPRISE!!! start exercising like mad to catch the muscle off guard?

That is a ridiculous statement.

Forcing blood into the muscle DOES NOT make muscles big. Stressing the muscle fibers full intensity through direct stimulation does.

Also, anyone who believes the pro's get big from the BS routines hig volume low instensity rouitines outlines in BB magazines best hit chapters on books speaking on the science behind building muscle.
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 10-28-2004 at 07:37 AM.

Pork Chop its not a ridiculous statement,in fact neuromuscular pathways has as much impact on growth as intense direct stimulation..

can you define in english what a neuromuscular pattern is?

as far as i know, muscles do 3 things, as consistent as a mechanical machine.
    Contracts, holds, detracts. No matter how many times you stress the fibers in doing this, the bodys natural defence mechanism will make it grow, indefinitly (not in size, but in method).
    It doesn't vary over a period of time. The results are constant and never change.
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 10-28-2004 at 08:07 AM.

Nueromuscular Physiology & weight training go hand in hand as you cannot stimulate the muscle with the other. Of course the muscle requires intense direct stimulation for growth but how does the muscle know it is stressed? Nueromuscular pathways are in laymans terms is it all begins with your brain. You decide to lift, your brain controls the cortex thru the spinal cord to specifically activate your muscles. Nerves transmit signals via the nueromuscular junction which is connected to the muscle itself and the feedback is done at sensory receptors,which in turn send signals back to the brain.. The control center then will control various proteins ie. hormones ect to reply to the stimulation of the muscle. Neuromuscular pathways are also responsible for the cells production of ATP the energy source as well as the endrocrine system. The reason you get growth is in part related to nueromuscular physiology which resistance training can cause adaptation to specific stimuli. Nerves play a vital role hence the term nueromuscular. Of course this is simplifed explanation but as you can surely see you cannot have one without the other. Also like you said muscles do certain things like contract,hold or whatever but it is the pathway that makes those very things possible.
    Last edited by bluethunder; 10-28-2004 at 12:09 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    Nueromuscular Physiology & weight training go hand in hand as you cannot stimulate the muscle with the other. Of course the muscle requires intense direct stimulation for growth but how does the muscle know it is stressed? Nueromuscular pathways are in laymans terms is it all begins with your brain. You decide to lift, your brain controls the cortex thru the spinal cord to specifically activate your muscles. Nerves transmit signals via the nueromuscular junction which is connected to the muscle itself and the feedback is done at sensory receptors,which in turn send signals back to the brain.. The control center then will control various proteins ie. hormones ect to reply top the stimulation of the muscle. Neuromuscular pathways are also responsible for the cells production of ATP the energy source as well as the endrocrine system. The reason you get growth is in part related to nueromuscular physiology which resistance training can cause adaptation to specific stimuli. Nerves play a vital role hence the term nueromuscular. Of course this is simplifed explanation but as you can surely see you cannot have one without the other. Also like you said muscles do certain things like contract,hold or whatever but it is the pathway that makes those very things possible.
    sounds like a variation of the neuromuscular pathway amounts to motor problems similar to parkinsons or some other debilitating disease.. not sure if i'd directly relate it to slowing muscular gains in the gym though.
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 10-28-2004 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    Nueromuscular Physiology & weight training go hand in hand as you cannot stimulate the muscle with the other. Of course the muscle requires intense direct stimulation for growth but how does the muscle know it is stressed? Nueromuscular pathways are in laymans terms is it all begins with your brain. You decide to lift, your brain controls the cortex thru the spinal cord to specifically activate your muscles. Nerves transmit signals via the nueromuscular junction which is connected to the muscle itself and the feedback is done at sensory receptors,which in turn send signals back to the brain.. The control center then will control various proteins ie. hormones ect to reply top the stimulation of the muscle. Neuromuscular pathways are also responsible for the cells production of ATP the energy source as well as the endrocrine system. The reason you get growth is in part related to nueromuscular physiology which resistance training can cause adaptation to specific stimuli. Nerves play a vital role hence the term nueromuscular. Of course this is simplifed explanation but as you can surely see you cannot have one without the other. Also like you said muscles do certain things like contract,hold or whatever but it is the pathway that makes those very things possible.
    wow, educated fella... your both right, hes just about 4 steps higher up in developmental muscle attritbutes and your around the core causes.. but def right.. good post bro..

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    Take 10 days off to let your CNS recover, as mentioned in another reply, try researching Periodization.

During your 10 days off, break out of your normal routine in everyway possible.

Don't do any cardio, weights or stick to a strict diet. Have fun.

When you come back to the gym, your CNS and muscles will be fully recovered and ready for another beating for a few weeks.

Thread Information