Thread: cardio

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member

cardio

my buddy wants to know how much cardio for him would be enough he's about 200-205, and he has a very fast metabolism! he is currently doing 20 min of stationary bike first thing in the morning with an empty stomach. THis sounds good to me but he wants me to ask you guys! so what do you think?

imann is offline Member
    Need to know his stats, i.e. bf%,ht., wt.,trainin, diet,goals, etc..........then someone could help him a lot more

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    I was actually just reading an article that says when you are doing cardio you need to do no less then 25 min.. It didn't say 20 min was useless but it encouraged 25-40 as you burn much much more in that time frame!

stats are about 5-11-6' 200-205lbs i would say close to 10% bodyfat! he wants to get shredded for a trip coming up in march but doesnt want to hit the cardio very hard because he doesnt want to loose and muscle size, he wants to do it gradually, and he said his diet is good meaning the worst thing he said he eats is maybe baked potatoes with a little fat free butter and steaks and thats about it really! he takes in about 150 carbs a day and about 300-330g of protein.

imann is offline Member
    First off he needs to up the ptotein intake to arround 400g/day(will help with muscle loss)and if he is serious, cardio in the morning on an epmty stomach will force your body to burn the fat and depending on his caloric intake,fequency of meals,and training adjust carbs accordingly.Try the diet forum for some specifcs, lots of great cutting diets clearly laid out for him.I assume he would then lift in the evening. morning=cardio...night=weights

Jock191 is offline Associate Member
    He doesnt really need to up his protien but he does need to up his carbs.. 150 carbs is no where near enough if he trains hard. With the cardio if hes doing 30-60 min at least 3 days a week he will be just fine.

you still think that 150g of carbs isnt enough if he's trying to get shredded and if so how much would you recommend??

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    I've read lipolysis doesn't even begin until the 20min mark... correct please if I'm wrong...

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blown_SC
    I've read lipolysis doesn't even begin until the 20min mark... correct please if I'm wrong...
    Approximately. Lipolysis is a slow process and an increase in fat metabolism occurs after several minutes of exercise.

so what you're saying is that with a high metabolism 20min might be enough?

You have to first deplete your body of glucose then and ONLY then can you body start to utilize fat for energy..After that lovely 20 min mark is when you start losing fat like hypertrophy said lipolysis is a slow process to begin. Oh and yes IMO 150 G of carbs is not enough.. Just b/c your trying to get ripped doesnt always mean you have to go low carb. Why does everyone think this? You can always mess around and do a zig zag type diet.. Thats a GREAT way to get rid of fat while keeping your muscle..

imann is offline Member
    yeah if he wants to gaurantee muscle retention he should up his protein..imo

Quote Originally Posted by imann
    yeah if he wants to gaurantee muscle retention he should up his protein..imo

Not even uping just his protein but carbs as well..

ok so how carbs per day he be taking?

carbs-rule is offline Associate Member
    I think his protein intake is adequate. The extra 100 protein intake will ensure he takes in a sizaeble amount of calories, which I would avoid when cutting. He is already at 1.5 X bodyweight protein.

Thread Information