Aggression is offline Member

Do you need to do decline presses?

Well, what about decline dumbell and barbell presses? Are they necessary to do or could I get away with just flat presses? I know they help build the lower chest but I'm not a competing bodybuilder I just want a big strong chest. So do I have to do them or could I just do flats?

Aboot is offline Banned
    Unnecessary, in my opinion. You can have a well balanced chest without any decline movements.

decadbal is offline Banned
    i never do it, i have a few times, didnt do much, couldnt tell nada... just a pain in the ass to get set up and done

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    I do them but not quite as much as say inclines. My opinion is to blast the chest from all angles and that includes declines. But the best reason for doing them is you can do a higher weight compared to flat's/inclines as your range of movement is less. At least for myself I can lift much more heavier therefore I do them..

BigJames is offline Senior Member
    My opinion is that Declines are optional...I personally prefer weighted dips for lower chest. I have tried both and dips just give better results for me...

NeedPaintoGain is offline Junior Member
    I have read that your lower chest is being used when you do any regular chest press...its not being hit big time as if you were doing declines, but its worked enough where you shouldnt really need to hit that specific area, as the case for upper chest is different, where you need to hit that specific area. The only thing that would be good for lower chest is dips because it brings out a nice shape to your overall chest development.

justin2305 is offline Senior Member
    IMO u dont need to but if i were u i would deff. do some incline dumbells incline builds the upper portion of ur chest and thats what makes it huge also if u dont wanna do decline i would recomend doing some lower cable cross overs just to hit that lower chest a lil bit so do flat bench/incline dumbells and lower cable cross overs... good luck bro

Jock191 is offline Associate Member
    This is the thing you gotta look at. You chest is made up of 2 muscles Pectoralis major and Pectoralis minor. Any and ever chest excerise works your Pectoralis major even incline presses to an extent just putting more emphases on your Pectoralis minor. You dont need to do incline for this reason.. If anything dips are better but you dont even need to do those. IMO

diesel21 is offline Member
    never use it, u use it while on flat bench anyway,

JdFlex is offline Senior Member
    I do decline a few times a year. I don't think they're necessary to build a quality chest. Flat and incline should be the concentration.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    EMG shows that the greatest amount of motor unit recruitment in the pectoralis major is achieved by doing decline DB bench, followed by decline BB bench.

Sir Lifts-a-lot is offline Senior Member
    They arn't necessary in building a better chest but every now and then it wouldn't hurt to shock your system a little and hit it from a slight decline instead of flat bench. It can help to bring out your lower chest and round it a little at the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    EMG shows that the greatest amount of motor unit recruitment in the pectoralis major is achieved by doing decline DB bench, followed by decline BB bench.

Do you have a link or something to that? I would like to see that.

G-Force is offline Anabolic Member
    i always do decline benches
    but for some reason my chest doesnt have the round bit at the bottom
    which sucks

no matter how many declines/dips i do i just cannot get it

sh!t genetics

imann is offline Member
    I rotate them in probably once or twice a month................i perfer to do weighted dips for the lower chest.......jmo

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock191
    Do you have a link or something to that? I would like to see that.
    Of course, as all my posts can be backed!
    Serious Strength Training
    Tudor Bompa, Lorenzo Cornacchia

Electromyographical Research
    Melo, G.L & Cafarelli. (1994-5) Exercise Physiology Manual

Moritani, T., A. Nagata, & M. Muro. (1982) Electromygraphic manifestations on muscualr fatigue." Med Sci

Koyabashi Matsui, H. (1983) Analysis of myoelectric signals during dynamic and isometric contraction. Electro Clin Neurophys

DeLuca, C.J., R.S. LeFever et al. (1982) Behaviour of human motor units in different muscles during lineally varying contractions. JAP

Realize this depends on the individual, origin and insertion, grip, etc. However, I disagree with people saying decline are worthless, as they add variation to a routine. Also, anytime you change the angle of an exercise, you change the exercise. Therefore, one needs to effectively work their chest from all angles to maximize hypertrophy.

Thanks.. I do agree with the part about them not being worthless they do some good b/c it is a change.. I just perfer dips over decline they work the chest way better IMO..

G-Force is offline Anabolic Member
    i like declines

i get too much stress on my shoulders from dips
    Last edited by G-Force; 10-30-2004 at 04:55 AM.

GREENMACHINE is offline Are you green enough?
    Never done them. My gym doesn't have a decline bench. Otherwise I would incorporate them. Remember variety is the spice of life.

Thread Information