Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    jmillerdls's Avatar
    jmillerdls is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    138

    When do you guys stretch??

    Ive never really stretched before, and thus I lack the agility of most...in an effort to alleviate this problem, im hoping to start stretching.

    Now, ive heard stretching before lifting can actually lower your strength, even if to just a small degree, but that doesnt sound too good.

    So, im thinking either after lifting, or before sleep...and do i do stretches for all bodyparts, or just the one or two I worked out that day?

  2. #2
    justin2305's Avatar
    justin2305 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,552
    ive heard that to bro but as far as im concerned thats nonsinse i stretch everyday before my workouts and a lil bit after words u need to stretch before workouts i would think and after so ur **** dont cramp up if i dont stretch good i no i didnt cuz i am hurting by the time i get home and cant move but i also train with 100% intinsity so thats what i would do.....good luck

  3. #3
    Jock191's Avatar
    Jock191 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    184
    I donít recommend stretching b4 working out while your muscles are cold.. Stretching cold muscles can actually lead to alot of damage.. Also what you read is true. Stretching, REALLY stretching b4 weight lifting will cause a decrease in strength.. When you stretch its best to do it right after a work out to help decrease the lactic acid build up.. Also its best to do it while the muscle is warm and lose and pliable.. Think of it like this stretching a cold muscle is kinda like taking a piece of taffy from the freezer and trying to stretch it,When you pull on it, It just snaps but when itís never been in the freezer and its warm itís pliable and able to stretch. You can always stretch at night thats fine as well or in the morning but always warm up alittle bit b4 you stretch and never stretch b4 lifting heavy..
    Last edited by Jock191; 10-29-2004 at 12:49 AM.

  4. #4
    jmillerdls's Avatar
    jmillerdls is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock191
    I donít recommend stretching b4 working out while your muscles are cold.. Stretching cold muscles can actually lead to alot of damage.. Also what you read is true. Stretching, REALLY stretching b4 weight lifting will cause a decrease in strength.. When you stretch its best to do it right after a work out to help decrease the lactic acid build up.. Also its best to do it while the muscle is warm and lose and pliable.. Think of it like this stretching a cold muscle is kinda like taking a piece of taffy from the freezer and trying to stretch it. It just snaps but when itís never been in the freezer itís pliable and about to stretch.
    sounds more than reasonable, and is just what i was looking for, thanks

  5. #5
    klubhead is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock191
    I donít recommend stretching b4 working out while your muscles are cold.. Stretching cold muscles can actually lead to alot of damage.. Also what you read is true. Stretching, REALLY stretching b4 weight lifting will cause a decrease in strength.. When you stretch its best to do it right after a work out to help decrease the lactic acid build up.. Also its best to do it while the muscle is warm and lose and pliable.. Think of it like this stretching a cold muscle is kinda like taking a piece of taffy from the freezer and trying to stretch it. It just snaps but when itís never been in the freezer itís pliable and about to stretch.

    thats a good way to think of it

  6. #6
    bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    2,015
    I stretch between sets ,like when I am waiting for the water fountain to get a sip and someone is taking 5 minutes to drink or fill up their jug I stretch then too... No need to waste precious time. As far as when to do it there is much debate on that and If you do it before exercise you need to be a smooth controlled stretch not bounching,kicking(dynamic stretches) and not too extreme. Static stretching only when cold if any. The way I look at the subject is synanimous too begin benching(or other) heavy WITHOUT 1-2 warm-up sets.. Same princible.

  7. #7
    JdFlex's Avatar
    JdFlex is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    1,158
    I stretch every muscle, every morning when I wake up. I do light stretching before workout, and deep stretch after workout.

  8. #8
    justin2305's Avatar
    justin2305 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock191
    I donít recommend stretching b4 working out while your muscles are cold.. Stretching cold muscles can actually lead to alot of damage.. Also what you read is true. Stretching, REALLY stretching b4 weight lifting will cause a decrease in strength.. When you stretch its best to do it right after a work out to help decrease the lactic acid build up.. Also its best to do it while the muscle is warm and lose and pliable.. Think of it like this stretching a cold muscle is kinda like taking a piece of taffy from the freezer and trying to stretch it,When you pull on it, It just snaps but when itís never been in the freezer and its warm itís pliable and able to stretch. You can always stretch at night thats fine as well or in the morning but always warm up alittle bit b4 you stretch and never stretch b4 lifting heavy..
    good points, so do u recomend stretching between sets cuz i would feel really okward if i didnt stretch at all while working out i would think u would cramp up real bad if u didnt at all while in working out...thanks

  9. #9
    Jock191's Avatar
    Jock191 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    184
    I dont stretch in between sets but once im doing working the muscle.. I just dont feel the need to but thats just MO.. Like if im doing chest and shoulders once Im done with my last set I will stretch the hell out of my chest with the stretches from DC. Then its time to do shoulders and the same thing done with the last set I stretch shoulders.. I also do alittle warm up and stetch at night and when I wake up.. I have never had a problem with cramping while working out. Only on caves b/c my calves get tight as Hell right away so Ill do a set or 2 and then stretch them but not hard stretches just a nice light stretch. Then I get back into my workout.

  10. #10
    GREENMACHINE's Avatar
    GREENMACHINE is offline Are you green enough?
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Forty shades of green
    Posts
    2,248
    I donít recommend stretching b4 working out while your muscles are cold.. Stretching cold muscles can actually lead to alot of damage.. Also what you read is true. Stretching, REALLY stretching b4 weight lifting will cause a decrease in strength.. When you stretch its best to do it right after a work out to help decrease the lactic acid build up.. Also its best to do it while the muscle is warm and lose and pliable.. Think of it like this stretching a cold muscle is kinda like taking a piece of taffy from the freezer and trying to stretch it,When you pull on it, It just snaps but when itís never been in the freezer and its warm itís pliable and able to stretch. You can always stretch at night thats fine as well or in the morning but always warm up alittle bit b4 you stretch and never stretch b4 lifting heavy..

    Try cardio 10 mins followed by light stetches and then lift. IT's greeeaaatt

  11. #11
    6plates is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    55
    stretching before heavy bench days is a no no for me. the only times i ever stretch are when im about to do heavy deats for my lower back or squats for my lower back. whenever i stretch on chest days i end up straining the pec out going heavy which is frustrating as hell.

  12. #12
    Jay Man's Avatar
    Jay Man is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    190
    No offense but some of these posts are the most ridiculous claims I have ever heard. I thought this was the most basic fundamental knowledge there was to weight lifting. Of course you stretch prior to any exercise. That is just basic common sense. Now I am not talking about "rip the muscle from the bone" stretches but light stretching to get the working muscles and connective tissue prepared for the work load. How does it make sense to not stretch a cold muscle but it does make sense to go right into weight training with a cold muscle, tendons and ligaments? It doesn't make any sense. It is basic bio-mechanics!

    And as far as stretching prior to lifting making you weaker is even more ridiculous. How is that even possible? That must be between the ears because there is no biological foundation for that claim. If you increase blood flow to an area prior to lifting weights you will perform at a higher level besides the fact that you will prevent injury which no one has even touched on.

    I stretch the muscles I am going to train and the secondary muscles before I begin my warm up. It takes about 3 minutes. I also stretch between sets. Nothing crazy, just a nice stretch to help increase blood flow and I stretch at the end.

    I figured this type of question was a no brainer but I was wrong.

  13. #13
    Jock191's Avatar
    Jock191 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    184
    Lite stretching is fine b4 working out. I guess I should have been clearer. If you do any type of Static stretching(you stretch to the farthest point and hold the stretch) b4 you work out you will be weaker I promise it.

  14. #14
    Jock191's Avatar
    Jock191 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by GREENMACHINE
    I donít recommend stretching b4 working out while your muscles are cold.. Stretching cold muscles can actually lead to alot of damage.. Also what you read is true. Stretching, REALLY stretching b4 weight lifting will cause a decrease in strength.. When you stretch its best to do it right after a work out to help decrease the lactic acid build up.. Also its best to do it while the muscle is warm and lose and pliable.. Think of it like this stretching a cold muscle is kinda like taking a piece of taffy from the freezer and trying to stretch it,When you pull on it, It just snaps but when itís never been in the freezer and its warm itís pliable and able to stretch. You can always stretch at night thats fine as well or in the morning but always warm up alittle bit b4 you stretch and never stretch b4 lifting heavy..

    Try cardio 10 mins followed by light stetches and then lift. IT's greeeaaatt

    Why did you take my post?

  15. #15
    arthurb999's Avatar
    arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,715
    Personally, I stretch a little do a warm-up set stretch a little again... workout... then a good stretch after. That works for me.

  16. #16
    mitch428cj's Avatar
    mitch428cj is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    685
    I usually warm-up when i get to the gym about 5-10 mins cardio just to start to heat my body up alil then workout then after workout stretch

  17. #17
    chicamahomico's Avatar
    chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Hoss's Moms bedroom
    Posts
    2,993
    I agree with you in that there is a lot of misinfo in this thread but there are academic studies which document stretching prior to explosive movement does reduce max power output. Alhough it is true, it really only applies to things like olympic lifting and other speed strength sports at the elite level. If I remember correctly, it has to do stretching's immediate effects on the motor nervous system. Certainly it would do the average trainee well to stretch period, so long as he or she is adequately warmed up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Man
    And as far as stretching prior to lifting making you weaker is even more ridiculous. How is that even possible? That must be between the ears because there is no biological foundation for that claim.

    I stretch the muscles I am going to train and the secondary muscles before I begin my warm up. It takes about 3 minutes. I also stretch between sets. Nothing crazy, just a nice stretch to help increase blood flow and I stretch at the end.

    I figured this type of question was a no brainer but I was wrong.

  18. #18
    Aboot's Avatar
    Aboot is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Not a well known name.
    Posts
    1,793
    As summarized at AST-SS.com (so take it for what you will, but it does reference a study that I have read. I couldn't summarize it any better):

    The majority of the research on this topic suggests that stretching a muscle before heavy lifting may reduce its capacity to exert maximum force. A most recent study that confirms the results of many others was completed by researchers at Wayne State University and published in the Journal Of Strength & Conditioning Research (17, 484-488) late last year.

    The scientists found that stretching prior to lifting actually decreased biceps strength during fast and slow velocity contractions. Their findings suggested that strength decreases because muscles become ďless-stiffĒ and not because stretching reduces the recruitment of motor units (the muscle fibers and the nerve that activates them).

  19. #19
    gino_slayer's Avatar
    gino_slayer is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Man
    No offense but some of these posts are the most ridiculous claims I have ever heard. I thought this was the most basic fundamental knowledge there was to weight lifting. Of course you stretch prior to any exercise. That is just basic common sense. Now I am not talking about "rip the muscle from the bone" stretches but light stretching to get the working muscles and connective tissue prepared for the work load. How does it make sense to not stretch a cold muscle but it does make sense to go right into weight training with a cold muscle, tendons and ligaments? It doesn't make any sense. It is basic bio-mechanics!

    And as far as stretching prior to lifting making you weaker is even more ridiculous. How is that even possible? That must be between the ears because there is no biological foundation for that claim. If you increase blood flow to an area prior to lifting weights you will perform at a higher level besides the fact that you will prevent injury which no one has even touched on.

    I stretch the muscles I am going to train and the secondary muscles before I begin my warm up. It takes about 3 minutes. I also stretch between sets. Nothing crazy, just a nice stretch to help increase blood flow and I stretch at the end.

    I figured this type of question was a no brainer but I was wrong.
    Ok... you have a couple of things backwards here. IT IS BAD to stretch a cold muscle... very bad in fact. Like Greenmachine said, it can lead to alot of damage. If your gonna stretch before a workout (light stretching of course) then you should do your warm-up sets with no stretching prior. This will adequately prepare the muscles for the stretching.

    The other thing is stetching prior to a workout. If you do static stretches (where you hold a muscle stretched for a period of time) then it has been proven to reduce your strength. BUT, we're talking about a full out stretching routine... if you stretch your muscle out it will be harder for it to fully contract which as a result decreases your strength. On the other hand, if you do dynamic stretches (like in football when you kick your legs and all that ****) thats warming up your muscle as well as stretching it at the same time, which is good. and when i say dynamic stretching i dont mean stetching a muscle and bouncing the stretch... that could potentially cause damage as well.

    All in all I have to agree with you about stretching before exercise. Picture a lion waking up from a nap... the first thing he does is stretch which prepares him for any physical exersion. You should do some LIGHT stretches before a workout to warm-up and prepare your muscle but dont expect this to help you gain any flexibility. If you want to gain flexibility then set aside time to do a full 30min stretching routine and make sure you do a couple of warm-up sets prior to your stretching routine so you dont cause any damage.


    Slayer

  20. #20
    Jay Man's Avatar
    Jay Man is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    190
    Slayer, you make valid points and they were well said. Everything I was ever taught in Exercise Physiology and Bio-mechanics classes in college discussed the advantages to stretching prior, during and after muscle exertion. When I say stretching I do not mean static stretches. Just light stretches to prep the muscle and connective tissue. If it indeed does reduce the muscles ability to contract I have never experienced this.

    With the thunderous force with which most of lift weights it would make sense we risk injury every time we enter the gym. With that said I would prefer to take every precaution to make sure my body is prepared for the force regardless if my stength is diminished ever so slightly in the process.

    I am with you on not stretching cold muscles too vigorously but am a strong advocate to light stretching throughout training.

  21. #21
    Jock191's Avatar
    Jock191 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by gino_slayer
    Ok... you have a couple of things backwards here. IT IS BAD to stretch a cold muscle... very bad in fact. Like Greenmachine said, it can lead to alot of damage. If your gonna stretch before a workout (light stretching of course) then you should do your warm-up sets with no stretching prior. This will adequately prepare the muscles for the stretching.

    The other thing is stetching prior to a workout. If you do static stretches (where you hold a muscle stretched for a period of time) then it has been proven to reduce your strength. BUT, we're talking about a full out stretching routine... if you stretch your muscle out it will be harder for it to fully contract which as a result decreases your strength. On the other hand, if you do dynamic stretches (like in football when you kick your legs and all that ****) thats warming up your muscle as well as stretching it at the same time, which is good. and when i say dynamic stretching i dont mean stetching a muscle and bouncing the stretch... that could potentially cause damage as well.

    All in all I have to agree with you about stretching before exercise. Picture a lion waking up from a nap... the first thing he does is stretch which prepares him for any physical exersion. You should do some LIGHT stretches before a workout to warm-up and prepare your muscle but dont expect this to help you gain any flexibility. If you want to gain flexibility then set aside time to do a full 30min stretching routine and make sure you do a couple of warm-up sets prior to your stretching routine so you dont cause any damage.


    Slayer

    Green Machince didnt say it. I SAID IT.. He copy pasted my sh!t......

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •