Thread: Dips Dips Dips

Sage is offline Anabolic Member

Dips Dips Dips

is there a difference between doing standing dips verses bench dips in trice growth? which one is more beneficial.

decadbal is offline Banned
    dependin on your angle of your torso, dips can work chest to.. i never had any good growth from doing dips on triceps... nosebreakers are what made my tris swell up... try those, heavy, heavy as u can go.. i do 2 45lb plates on the sides of the ezcurl bar now...

imann is offline Member
    I use weighted dips and lean foward to work my lower chest.....as far as tri's go....heavy seated dumbell extensions and close grip bench...i also like heavy skullcrushers as well...jmo

unclemoney is offline Senior Member
    What's a nosebreaker?

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by unclemoney
    What's a nosebreaker?
    Lay flat on your back with a ez/straight bar directly above your eyes, elbows fully extended, then flex your elbows until the bar lowers to your nose or forehead, then back to full elbow extension.
    AKA, skullcrushers, supine tricep extension. . .

Oh, yeah... I get you, I do skullcrusher and that is what I feel works my tri's the most and that's what I feel I get the most out of that and dips are my favorite tri exercises.

AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member
    not to scare you at all, but i am currntly recovering from a small partial triceps tear which happend during a workout of that had skullcrushers and dips supersetted. They are both awesome arm developers in my opinion, but just be careful of one thing: When you fail on the dips make sure you have a spotter to slow down your decend, or have a box you can put your foot on so you can control your way down. I may have come down too fast after failing.
    I'm really not that sure what caused my tear, but it could have been that. It might not have been that but i thought i'd mentiion it.
    I may have also done it on the skullcrushers. since i got 10 reps on my last skullcrusher workout i decided to bump it up ten pounds, but after one, i new I wouldnt get six.It felt really heavy. It may have been too big of a jump and stupid on my part. I shoulda went up 5 like i normally do.
    Im all for heavy training as i don't like to do more than 6 reps on anything, but just be carefull.
    Or it may have been a combination of the two from supersetting and the overload that happpens in the muscle. My therapist says that tears often occur in workouts involving supersets. Hearin that irritated me cuz i like the pre-exhaust methods. Oh well.
    One other thing that may have caused it is this: When doing dips, the triceps bear most of the load for the first few reps, but after the triceps start to fatigue the arms bow out a bit so that the chest can finish the movement. I always welcomed this because it was like my chest could give my triceps forced reps and get them really blasted. However, perhaps this turning out of the arms to finish the movement somehow torqued my triceps and the tendon in such a way that it tore. I dunno. It's all a mystery. But somethiing you should think about and be aware of.
    This doesn't mean that dips can't be done with he arms bowed out more to isollate the pecs, but perhaps changing arm position mid-set is potentially dangerous. So instead, perhaps better to just keep the elbows in and fail with them in then to flair them out in order to continue the motion.

Both are great excersises though. Use weight on dips if you can get more than six.
    Last edited by AnabolicBoy1981; 11-03-2004 at 08:18 PM.

PizdetS is offline New Member
    i do stading dips have a belt to strap on more plates.....The only diffrenece between standing and bench dips i hear is that Bench Dips are far more dengerous since you are using two benches and if your hand(s) slip from being sweaty (pressed skin against leather bench) the demage can be very serious.

are nosebreakers the same as scullcrushers?

Yeah I was wondering that earlier but they answered it nosebreakers are skullcrushers just another name.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Personally when I do skulls I ALWAYS go past the skull. If you only going to your eyes/nose your cheating yourself from the most important part of that exercise.

fLgAtOr is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    Personally when I do skulls I ALWAYS go past the skull. If you only going to your eyes/nose your cheating yourself from the most important part of that exercise.
    Wouldn't that depend on how long your forearm is in relation to your torso? I don't usually pay much attention, as long as my upper-arm is perpendicular with the floor and my elbows tucked.

znak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder

Blue- gotta disagree with you on this one, man.

Try it now. You can't go past your forehead unless you move your upper arm away from perpendicuar.

You would need freakishly long arm to do so.

Decabal- you are doing skull crusher with two plates on each side with your elbows in and arms perpendicular? My trainer has 24 1/2 inch arms and uses one plate. He is pretty big. Send us a picture of your tris, they must me awsome!!!

Bench dips are BS. Complete waste of time. Do weighted dips and do put a box under you to stop you if you fail.

big daddy k de is offline Senior Member
    weighted dips are awsome ... i would switch it up now and then do reg dips one week and bench the other

carbs-rule is offline Associate Member
    Skullcrushers are the best IMO. Just concentrate on moving the weight solely with your triceps.

Sage is offline Anabolic Member
    for skullcrushers I also take the curl bar just slightly past my skull/bench almost all the way down to the floor. U lay down on the bench with your head right on the edge of the bench and slowly lower the bar and when u bring it back up it should line up between ur nose and the forehead.

Thread Information