gino_slayer is offline Associate Member

New Split... I think it'll work, do you?

ok... I have made a new split for myself. Many people go by DC training, and I may try it someday after this cycle, but right now while I'm on I love my volume training... so here's what my new training split is:

Monday: Legs (8 sets quads, 8 sets hammies), Calves (1 set {dont flip, ill explain in a sec})

Tuesday: Chest (14-16 sets total), Tri's (1 set)

Wednesday: Back (14-16 sets total), Bi's (1 set)

Thursday: REST

Friday: Tri's (12-15 sets total), Chest (1 set), Calves (8 sets)

Saturday: Bi's (12-15 sets total), Back (1 set), Delts (12-15 sets total)

Okay... many of you are probably wondering what the **** im doing with this type of messed up split but here's my reasoning and why I'm giving it a try.

I wanted to work every muscle group twice weekly but couldnt really find an appropriate split to make it possible to really hit my muscles the way I'd like... so by doing one set to target the assisting muscles on their off days (and I mean a real working set all the way to failure), I can add that extra little bit of growth. Many of you may think this has some flaws because of the over-exhausted muscles leading up to the 1 setted exercise, and I'm a little concerned about this as well, but in the end its all good because even if I dont get growth from the single sets, they will pump some fresh blood into the targetted muscles and aid in recovery.

I'm prepared to here all your flaming so if you think it wont work then tell me... but if your going to criticize please make it constructive criticism by giving me specifics of why it wont work, not just telling me I'm an idiot.

thanx

Slayer

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I like a bit of volume myself, never just 1 all out set, however 14-16 sets for big bodyparts, and 12-15 for smaller ones is OVER-TRAINING like h*ll for me. If I was able to do 12-15 sets of bi's and tri's, the intensity on each set would be that of Richard Simmons. With the intensity I use, I can only do 6 sets of each, and I sport some pretty big guns.

Give it a shot though, that's what it boils down to.

~SC~

yeah... the technique I use for volume training is increasing intensity. Meaning, lets say I'm doing 4 sets of a particular exercise, my first 2 sets will be very close to failure (like 1 rep short of it), my second last will be till failure, and my last is till failure with a spot if its something like bench or a little bit of cheating if its something like curls.

I hope it works... we'll have to see.

Slayer

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Well I myself have done much volume training as I feel it depends on ones genetic makeup ie. % of type 1/2 fibers & hormonal balance. Sometimes I too do many sets but not on one exercise so I may do 5-6 different exercises per one bodypart. However my reps are lower during the higher set scheme. THE most important think here is knowing ones own body and overtraining which you might be in to now. I also believe if you do due volume training your diet is more crucial as nutrients play a major role for recovery. I can relate to your routine so I say if it works for you go for it. BUT as a precaution to CNS adaptation I would recommend taking a full week off for resting every 5-6 wks.

Ok... I've decided what I'm going to do. Since I have about 2 months left of my cycle I'm gonna give the volume style training a try for 4 weeks and then switch to DC's style of training for the remaining 4. It's funny because I've been lifting for a long time and right when I think I've found what works someone else brings up some good points. I've went from volume, to hihg intensity with supersets and dropsets and a bunch of other shock priniciples, to HIT training, and now Im back to volume. Now I'm gonna give each one a really good go for their money and see what REALLY works. Ill make sure to tell you guys how it goes... too bad it wont be for another 2 months or so

Slayer

Thread Information