Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion

legs 3x a week to much?

Im trying to develop my legs better then they are now. Is doing legs 3x a week to much?
    my split:

1:legs
    2:chest/shoulders
    3:back
    4:legs
    5:arms
    off
    6:legs
    7ff

Aboot is offline Banned
    WAY too much. Once a week is good, if you hit them hard. What's your routine look like?

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Depends on your volume. One exercise, 3-4 sets, you could get away with it.
    If you are doing 8-15 totals sets, then NO.

tubbytank is offline Associate Member
    Once a week is sufficient as they say if you really give them a caning.
    If you want to bring them up, just train a bit more instinctively, and when you feel that your legs are ready for another workout, do them that day, and push your other scheduled workout back a day.
    EG.
    Monday legs
    Tues chest
    Wed Arms
    Thursday back (but you feel you can train legs so do legs and then back on fri)

You prob need at least 3 full days to recover from a leg workout if you do it properly, so maybe every fourth or 5th day. This means you are hitting them maybe 3-4 times in a two week period.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    3x a week I'd be in a constant state of body coma from over-training.

I think my CNS would fry itself into a zillion electrodes, and implode within my brain.

~SC~

jmillerdls is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    3x a week I'd be in a constant state of body coma from over-training.

I think my CNS would fry itself into a zillion electrodes, and implode within my brain.

~SC~

soo...too much or no?

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame

Really though, if I do legs on Monday, the real soreness sets in on Wednesday, and I couldn't even think about blasting again on Thurs.

U grow when you REST, so if you are always in the gym, u ain't really growing. As well, if you can lift again 3 days later, makes u wonder just how much damage you are doing, and just how much u are actually growing. (not too much time to do either)

~SC~

CanadianBacon is offline Junior Member
    Way too much, once a week, but work the piss out of them. Calves can be trained twice a week though at higher reps than the rest of legs.

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    twice a week is the most i'd go, and that's splitting them up to quads/glutes/calves and hams/calves a few days apart. Personally, i like to train my lower back along with my hams.. and then i have a different day to work the rest of my back.
    Last edited by chrisAdams; 11-09-2004 at 05:44 AM.

CAUSASIAN is offline Banned
    Once I do legs, I cant even walk for about 3 days. Three times is too much. Hit it hard one day a week, and it should be fine.

for legs,
    4 sets of 20 reps of extensions and curls
    4 sets of 10-15 reps of barbell squats
    3 sets of 15-20 reps of hack squats or sled
    supset of calves

(i also do 5-10 reps of calves inbetween each set and increase weight every time for all sets)

i heard that to really jumpstart your legs is to do high reps, ive been getting good pumps.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Two at most per week, your overkilling as your legs need recovery time being a big muscle group.

Sir Lifts-a-lot is offline Senior Member
    The thing I would switch up is to do one pre-exahust set of leg extensions at a moderate weight and then do some seriously heavy squats with perfect form and realy drop that butt of yours down to the ground. Maybe do 5 sets @ 6-10 reps but no more (squats that is). Then do some hacks or leg press.

Also what are you doing for your hams? They are just as important as your quads bu it doesn't look like you have anything in there for them.

JdFlex is offline Senior Member
    Volume and intensity are the issues. I'm doing DC training and it calls for a low amount of volume with a high amount of intensity. I train my legs 2x every 5 days and am seeing good results.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Twice a week is the norm for myself...Tuesday quads and Friday hamms. I split them so each group gets a good dose of heavy weights as oppossed to going heavy on one group and then having to lighten the load to do the other.

Three times per week I don't think I could handle. I'm sick during and after my workouts on Tueday and Friday...adding a third day would be too much...not to mention their too sore for a minimum of two days after each workout.

decadbal is offline Banned
    im gonna have to say, if you can work your legs out 3x a week, your not workin em out at all realy, bc your not hittin em hard enough..

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    You must be lifting with very little intensity, i can't walk leaving the gym on leg days, i do legs on Mondays as i like to have legs later in the week, like Swole said, come Wed i am sore as a MF. I am sore now but tommorow will be worse.

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat

Really though, if I do legs on Monday, the real soreness sets in on Wednesday, and I couldn't even think about blasting again on Thurs.

U grow when you REST, so if you are always in the gym, u ain't really growing. As well, if you can lift again 3 days later, makes u wonder just how much damage you are doing, and just how much u are actually growing. (not too much time to do either)

~SC~
    Exactly bro... its the day after after effect...

You know... I'd even go as far as saying every 1.5-2 weeks leg training is FINE if you blast them good enough on that day. I have moved my legs to everyother week and am still seeing growth..

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    Quote Originally Posted by bigol'legs
    Exactly bro... its the day after after effect...

You know... I'd even go as far as saying every 1.5-2 weeks leg training is FINE if you blast them good enough on that day. I have moved my legs to everyother week and am still seeing growth..
    you should put in a disclaimer that people not squatting over 700lbs may not have that same results.
    I too have been training my legs every other week, but for me its be due to the gym being closed

for hams i do curls, and i thought that a full squat does hams also, i also position my legs on sled up high to hit hams as well. is that enough?

LNK
    LNK is offline New Member
    I think others have hit it on the head. Anyone that can train legs three times a week aint hitting it hard enough. To follow up on what swole said, if i do legs on mon., I cant hardly sit down to take a #### on wed. My legs feel normal two days out of the week, so training them twice a week is is out of the question for me.

Everyone is different however. If you feel you can get away with training them twice a week, try it. Try doing a liight and heavey day. If you feel overtraining coming on, then back off.

LNK

Thread Information