• Chalk

27 9.25%
  • Gloves

90 30.82%
  • Nothing

147 50.34%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    MrMuscle is offline New Member
    I wear gloves on all exercises except deadlifts. i need chalk on that.

FromFleshtoSteel is offline Associate Member
    i like callouses

LittleMeth is offline Junior Member
    I always have gloves when lifting. But for dead lifts i like to use straps so my back gives out before my hands do.

Pitbull is offline Junior Member
    Hi All

I have been lifting for a while and have never used gloves they just feel too un-nutural especially on curling movements . The only thing I use even for heavy deadlifts is resin - yellow crystal that you press to a fine powder in your fingers - just be sure to keep a small steel brush handy to clean the bar aftger your workout as the resin tends to get sticky from the sweat . I think one should keep in mind that all the lifting aids out there are the tools of the trade and that they all have their place and time . It is senseless tom stop a shrug when your grip fails and the traps haven't worked hard enough . Also a tip to remove calouses is to scrape them with an old razor just befor you get out of the bath . The skin is soft and will com off easily. Apply some cream afterward and you'll never have to worry about the ladies complaining

Steak Helmet is offline Associate Member
    I occasionally use power grips. Other than that if the bar is slick, I grab some chalk.

But usually nothing.

Sema is offline Associate Member
    Never used something to lift dumbells and barbells. However, lately, the heavier i go, the more cramps i get in my handpalms when doing the dumbells.
    So i'm considering gloves now, is there anyone who can give me some advice whether they would make the cramps less or give support to my hands ?
    Thanks very much

greetz and respect
    Semark

freakout is offline Associate Member
    Wearing gloves do not make you look gay ... shaking your backside while lifting weights do!!!

Opps!!

I wear gloves...not all the time.. sometimes I agree they provide hindrances than help but to me they do provide a good grip sometimes..

I still have a rough skin on my hands...thus the only help gloves provide for me is grip(by the way, the gyms here in my country do not have wraps or chalk for sale....so gloves or straps are the next alternatives...)

Too bad I am not from the States or the West... I would love to see how hardcore your gyms are... hopefully will bring a bagful of motivation and inspiration home...

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Gloves

Lady Viking is offline Female Member
    I wear gloves.

Ermantroudt is offline Associate Member
    In training:

Belt: On both Dynamic Days and on Maximum Effort BP Day
    Wrist Wraps: Once in a while on Maximum Effort BP Day
    Straps: Nope
    Elbow Sleeves with Atomic Balm: Every Day (Damn Bicep Tendonitus )

In Meets:

SQ:Titan Boss Suit, NXG Briefs, Belt, TP5000 Knee Wraps
    BP: Inzer EHPHD Shirt, Crain Genisis Wrist Wraps , Belt
    DL: Crain Genisis DL Suit, NXG Briefs, Belt

Ermantroudt

Vegas Kid is offline Senior Member
    I use gloves and a watch to time my rest between sets. Funny how some of you talk about lifting weight naturally and how you don't need any type of aid, but at the same time your taking a shit load of vitamins and supplements and\or gear. I think all those tools are just that...tools. They are there to help you achieve your goals. Just like certain machines or the ez curl bar for example, these are there to help you. I don't think gloves or even a belt during calf raises is "gay". Use whatever the fuck works for you and don't worry about others opinions.

BTW, I have never used a belt cuz they're too fucking big to lug around the gym.

solid90062 is offline Member
    Gloves with wrist wraps. I have bad joints and arthritic hands, So i need the support

tie
    tie is offline Junior Member
    I started on gloves, but I found that on heavier lifts, my wrist hurt. So I've got these new gloves with integrated straps and they're great - no more sore wrists.

weightsbeforedates is offline Junior Member
    I honestly see no problem with gloves, straps, etc. I personally wear gloves for the extra grip, it never crossed my mind to wonder if they are cool looking or not. I don't see wearing gloves and straps to be cheating or hurting yourself either, you either like the way gloves feel or you don't. Whatever floats your boat is what I say. My Opinion though

SteelBuilt is offline New Member
    I wear a belt but no gloves coz they make my hands sweaty, and i find that uncurmftoarble . . .
    SB

hahaha i have been working out for 2 years and just recnetally i started to use gloves when my hands hand blisters the size of quaters on them .hahahahah ouch!!

blaster is offline New Member
    I just started wearing gloves 2 months ago when the calluses were getting out of control.

But at least I remember to leave them in my bag on leg day!

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    Nothing but callouses baby!

Nathan5252 is offline New Member
    for me, i didnt use anything until recently ago, when i was gettin really big callouses. now i use a pair of gloves

SUPERDAVE is offline Banned
    MY SKIN

Vaj10 is offline Associate Member
    i sweat like a pig...i need my gloves or i would never get a grip... it has the wrist wrap/supports which helps my wrist (broke it 2yrs ago)

A_Nice is offline Associate Member
    just skin and caluses

androplex is offline Donating Member
    Wearing gloves do not make you look gay ... shaking your backside while lifting weights do!!!
    Freakout, you make me laugh bro....

Wearing a belt will eventually make your lower back extremely weak. Only wear it during max lifts to protect yourself, other than that, avoid them.

I don't wear gloves, I think you are a tougher person without them!

BIGGIN is offline New Member
    Originally posted by Diesel
    Nothing.
    Never wear gloves. Don't like what chalk does to the bars after a little while.
    I only use wraps on higher poundages with deadlifts.
    I have the same feeling, exactly.

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    blisters.. i don't wear gloves, and i have yet to invest in some chalk, i don't see any shame in using straps, imo straps are a great investment.

As far as belts go, i don't wear those either, i have a naturally strong back.

diesel21 is offline Member
    i always use wraps and straps and gloves.. it helps you lift a little. the straps keep my wrists from breaking when i'm putting up 140 lb. dumbells on incline almost to where it is positione on shoulders.. yes proper form.. 4 reps no spot, i weight 180..

Lil D is offline Junior Member
    Valeo Gloves

Buddha_Red is offline Senior Member
    I had to go buy some cheap ass gloves from walmart. They arent the best but i just wanted something to save me hands a bit

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    What's wrong with wearing gloves. I do. Not all the time because half the time I'm half-assed and forget half my shit at home on the kitchen table. But I like gloves. The one thing I don't understand is straps for workouts like chest and shoulders. What purpose would you want the bar strapped to your hand for. Incase it falls, you have a good grip? Haha IMO! No flame intended.

D3m3nt3d is offline AR's Whore D'Oeuvre
    the bar is on my hands?

ripsid is offline Senior Member
    A belt...Straps for shrugs, maybe rows... Beat Red Hands! broken blood vessels on my wrists from wraps.

kaizenro is offline New Member
    I use gloves with the wrist support. Works for me. And no calluses which girls don't like anyway. Nothing but gains during my training. Flame on.
    R

Assassinator is offline Associate Member
    Spounges !

I cant do nothing without my spounges !

Gloves dont work for shit, maybe for pushing exercises, but for back, shrugs, curls, i need spounges, they work better than anything else.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Wraps - gloves are for the hand models - I AM NO HAND MODEL. I like to feel the steel

chinups Guest
    Gloves. Why, cause my girl doesn't like big big giant bumps on my hands when I feel her up.

Also Guys withe the chalk have a bad name cause some smucks don't clean shit!

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Wrist wraps are good for wrist support (if your hands slide while benching - they can help with that).

The wraps that wrap around the bar let you work out your back to complete failure. Without them you are at the mercy of a smaller muscle group - your forearms and grip strength. I would never do back without bar wraps. But forearms must be worked in on their own time to keep them from not developing in porportion.

As far as gloves... I blame my father on that. He told me when I was in High School, "Gloves are for woman - your hands show you are a hard worker." And I just never really kept the gloves after High School. I used to like the physcological pump - putting them on meant t-time. But now I always have my wrist wraps on, and they give me that t-time feeling.

Different strokes for different folks...

Fooboy is offline Associate Member
    I generally wear gloves for protection from the nastiness on the bars. A few of my friends have gotten severe warts and stuff from it. Plus, asian chicks don't dig calluses...neither do I .

I lift bare hands, but I'm considering getting gloves... the calluses are getting out of hand (no pun intended!)

Only problem is that when I did use gloves (6-7 years ago) I would tear them to shreads within a month or so. Got annoying breaking in new gloves all the time.

dern180 is offline Member
    I WEAR WRIST WRAPS...AND THAT ALL.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information