noddy1 is offline Associate Member

AM/PM Traing? Am I overtraining?

Just interested to know your thoughts on this, I will make sure I specify as much as I can so there is no confusion!

I own my own business hence not having to work, so I have as much time to train, eat and sleep as I want, and have done for about 2 serious years.

I am very happy with my diet and sleep patterns. My training itself is very intense too and I have always been happy with my gains! I have gained 25kg over 18months.

The question is will I make better gains if I train differently to what I do now? See I train AM/PM 4 days a week. Here is a look at how a general week training would look!

MON AM-Hamstrings
    MON PM-Chest

TUE AM-Calves
    TUE PM-Shoulders

WED AM-Rest
    WED PM-Rest

THU AM-Back
    THU PM-Quads

FRI AM-Bis
    FRI PM-Tris

SAT-Catch up day for anything that got missed for any reason

SUN-Rest

What do you think? I do cardio Monday Wednesday Friday in AM. I am willing to train any which way as long as I get good results. I am in week 2 of my 3rd coarse over this 18 month period.

Chur,

Noddy.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Split routines are generally better suited for advance people & 2 yrs is not advanced. You could do some cardio in am then lifting pm. The key to split training is intensity/volume which if too much you will overtrain and gains will stagnate as your stress hormone cortizone are high and you are in a catabolic state. One key thing to remember is diet needs extra attention here everything from mico/macro nutrients, timing, kcal's, ratio's of protien/fats/carbs ect to name only a few. Thats just one reason splits are better suited for experienced serious people. Remember you do not grow in the gym... Get in get out..

You havnt convinced me at all. As i see it how could i possibly get better gains by trying to focus on 2 muscle groups in 1 session and expecting the second to get the the attention the first did when i start to run out of energy! At least i am paying all attention to each group every time i train and am trainin as intanse as i can

tubbytank is offline Associate Member
    If you can manage to put the intensity into both workouts then yes, it would be good. But you better make sure you get your sleep, and protein spot on, otherwise you will overtrain.

I wouldn;t do back and legs in one day though. They are both major body parts requiring a lot of intensity. I myself would have a day seperate for back and quads to give them the attention they deserve. Else do something else like bi's on leg day, and tri's on back day.
    Remember that squats etc do lower back so you might have difficulty with that back/leg day.

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    how long are your training sessions

Thanks Tubbytank,

im glad someone is with me on this one. Yes as I said I am very happy with my diet and also my training is great! I sleep for how ever long my eyes are shut, usually 7-10 hours a night. Alarmclock? WTF not me

Ironreload04

Morning are usually short at about 30-45mins because they are small groups. Nights about 50-75mins on bigger muscle groups. My rest periods have always been reasonably long at between 2-3mins so a 60 min train aint a real end on end hard thrash! Just heavy, big sweat stuff!!!!!!!

Thanks for your guys input

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    [QUOTE=noddy1]You havnt convinced me at all. Bro I am not trying to convince you! You ask for opinions & thoughts and I gave you mine. Sounds like you know everything already so why ask for opinions here? You wish to get the best gains but that will only come from trial & error as experience speak volumes. I also never said split routines are not good but you need to be smart about what the heck you are doing. Doing cardio in am along with the weight training you do is nuts.. And you say you are only in week 2 in a 18 month program so of course you may see some good gains for now but IMO before long you will stagnate. How long have you been training? The one good thing I see is that you have all the free time to get enough sleep. If you CAN continue this for the next 17 1/2 months good for you.

No No No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Read f**k it.

I have done 2 cycles over the last 18 months and gains over 60 pounds! I am in week 2 of my 3rd 10 week cycle

I have been trainin for a few years now, about 5, but the last 2 very seriously and with good gains to go with it!

Thread Information