dirtythirty is offline Associate Member

shoulder press question

i had to have surgery a few years ago on my shoulder. ive overcome it for the most part but the metal anchor holding my ligaments in place prevent me from ever getting a full range of motion back. i have recently been working hard at shoulder presses and i am just wondering how far down should i take the bar? i do them on a smith machine and i go all the way down to about my chin. should i go deeper to my chest?

Iowa is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtythirty
    i had to have surgery a few years ago on my shoulder. ive overcome it for the most part but the metal anchor holding my ligaments in place prevent me from ever getting a full range of motion back. i have recently been working hard at shoulder presses and i am just wondering how far down should i take the bar? i do them on a smith machine and i go all the way down to about my chin. should i go deeper to my chest?
    Just do whats comfortable. If I were you, I'd lower the weight and do higher reps. I personally get good growth in my shoulders from doing light weights/high reps anyways. I like to burn out my shoulders instead of going heavy with them. I dont feel my joints taking a beating that way. JMO

I could go all the way to my chest if i wanted. i just didnt know if this would hurt me in the long wrong or maybe not benefit me at all. thanks

bump

TimeToGetBig27 is offline Junior Member
    I personally would do it to a 90 degree range, which to me is around eye level. Tends to be a lot on the lats any lower for me.

TEXAS is offline Junior Member
    SAFTY distance is your ears level not lower.

Thread Information