pumped420 is offline Junior Member

wut is wrong with my bench?

Im 19 years old around 168lbs. and Ive been lifting about 3 years now. Ive always wanted a big bench and when I first trained I overtrained my chest. Then I did my research and learned a lot about the sport. First off, I have had a good diet for about a year and a half, I train very hard and I workout my chest very hard and always have (that was my original goal since i hav adolescent gyno). But my highest max was around 205 at 165 pounds since I had a shoulder injury and I couldnt do shoulder presses or really bench for about a year? Is that like really bad? I was inured again and couldnt lift at all for a while and now my max is probably around 195, 200. I can only military press 120 lbs 4 reps, and i can close grip bench around 155 for about 5. Are these terrible stats? I need help. ...and serious shoulder mass i think cuz my pecs are not small everyone notices i hav an unproportionately big chest.

sensaispike is offline Member
    are you working out the other large muscle groups such as legs and back... if not that is your problem, that would be like trying to build a street racing car but the only thing you bulk up is the tranny, it just will not work......

L8ter

yeah I try and train my back as hard as my chest! Also I do train legs consistantly. This is really hurting my self asteem about my potential to do good with my body.

I do my bb and db rows. I just think that since I been broke lately my supplement funds have been down and my familys kinda strugglin and between the lack of money and school and work Its hard to eat the way I should be eating exactly.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    W/out a sound diet, your bench/lifting are not going to improve, nope.

~SC~

hung-solo is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    W/out a sound diet, your bench/lifting are not going to improve, nope.

~SC~
    listen to the man! also sleep is essential also. make sure you are getting atleast 8hrs. that alone helped me mentally and physically

ImmmtheIceman is offline Senior Member
    Sleep, proper nutrition, the right training, and of course PATIENCE. You'll increase weight but its not gonna happen over night.

Special "K" is offline New Member
    I am the same weight as you and I bench and shoulder press about the same as you, so I don't think you're doing all that bad.

You and I won't be doing the Olympia anytime soon (or ever), but I think we're a lot better off than 60% of people.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Quote Originally Posted by hung-solo
    listen to the man! also sleep is essential also. make sure you are getting atleast 8hrs. that alone helped me mentally and physically

I only wish i could get 8hrs sleep. 5 1/2 - 6 hours at most for me. It really ****ing kills me too.

Njectable is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Special "K"
    I am the same weight as you and I bench and shoulder press about the same as you, so I don't think you're doing all that bad.

You and I won't be doing the Olympia anytime soon (or ever), but I think we're a lot better off than 60% of people.
    my bench isn't great either .. but i'm definately not the weakest one at my gym for my size either.. the main thing that hurt my confidence was i read a few past threads on here from people claiming when they were 16-18 they were benching 220 - 270lb .. i was like wtf? how is their people on this site that are claiming their 16 years old and weigh like 150-160lb and benching 270lb .. it pissed me off whether it was bull**** or not.. but it wasn't just one person claiming they were benching over 200 when they were 16, their were many others. when i was 16 i couldn't even bench my weight but i also wasn't working out on a regular schedule either. Not sure if some of the threads u've been reading is why your 2nd guessing your weights but i got to the point after reading more and more of those where i really don't care, obviously the people are monsters genetically or i just have awful form when it comes to bench .. don't get me wrong it still pisses me off when i hear people say on here they weigh 20lbs less then me and are benching 40-50lbs more then me .. but the last 2 months i've really stepped up my game, got a solid diet and routine and now i pretty much add atleast a little to my bench every week whether it be 2.5lbs, 5, or 10. i just turned 20 so i'm in about the same boat as you, although i'm a little bigger then u weight wise, i'm 185, not sure of your height. Either way i wouldn't beat yourself up over your weights, if you just keep with it, it will go up.

Thread Information