pumped420 is offline Junior Member

behind the neck?

Ive been tryin to start to do behind the neck militarys a bit more in my workout since all I hear is posative mass building with them. Now i do regular militarys and db press. But Ive been doin it for a lil while now and i cant seem to ge the form perfect. I either tap my head on a rep or 2 or I feel like im reaching back too far. I have trouble tryin to go heavy because I feel Im going to hurt myself.

Ejuicer is offline Anabolic Member
    The biomechanics of behind the neck and military are pretty much the same. Some people believe that doing them behind the neck with provide you with a few more details in your back, but that would be a myth. Behind the neck is only safe to do providing that the persons bone structure and flexibility allow the movement. Military is a much safer bet that will provide you with the same results and decrease the chance of injury.

pumped420 is offline Junior Member
    Ejuicer, thanks a lot bro

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Have your training partner assess your posture from the side veiw...If the bar is tapping the back of your head, most likely, your wrist and shoulders are not in allignment.The mistake i find most people making is, trying to duplicate a military press while doing a press-behind.The biomechanics are NOT the same...neither is the muscle-recruitment.The behind the neck press recruits more of the upper back (mid-traps etc)musculature than the press in front.

Try to press up and back...You won't succeed in pressing back..but by attempting such you will actually be pushing the bar directly up..as opposed to foward as you are currently doing

~Nark

Thread Information