Thread: Smith Machine

dtr98 is offline Member

Smith Machine

was thinking of getting a smith machine, i work out at home and use more or less as a spotter.

anyone have any input??
    thanks

Jock191 is offline Associate Member
    I personal cant stand smith machines.They put alot of undo stress on your joints just b/c they take you body out of its natural form of motion which is a curve and forces it to be linear. Just my .02

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Personally I like smith machines as they have many uses besides legs. I can push myself if I go heavier & no spotter since I always use the saftey catches. I you have the room for one go for it.

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock191
    I personal cant stand smith machines.They put alot of undo stress on your joints just b/c they take you body out of its natural form of motion which is a curve and forces it to be linear. Just my .02
    YAUP. Proper form on bench, squats, deadlift, or anything you would use a smith for should have a curved motion instead of straight up n down. get a power rack with an adjustible bench and an olympic bar.

LNK
    LNK is offline New Member
    Smith machines do have their uses. You can lift heavier than usual because of the fixed ROM and you dont need a spotter. If you can swing it, we have a machine that works like a smith without the fixed range of motion. I'll try to explain it to ya.

Instead of riding on rails, the bar hangs from coated cables. There's a sensor in the bar so as soon as you let off pressure, it locks into place. It's pretty handy to have when you dont have a spotter. Plus it has a upper and lower pulley attatchment on the backside with a stack. Im not sure on cost, but can guess it isnt cheap.

If I was in your predicument, without a lot of cash, I would just buy a power rack. Just my two cents worth.

LNK

Thread Information