Thread: bent-rows

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member

bent-rows

i know this sounds like a dumb question but what grip should i use to hit the upper back i feel the same amount of stress when i do under-hand or over-hand, so which one i know it's over hand but i just want some more opinions!

jmillerdls is offline Junior Member
    over-hand and wide...seems it would be hard to get full contraction with under-hand, but ive never tried it

phreezer is offline Respected Member
    Rows: Well, the best way to do them is to start with the bar on the floor every single rep. Your middle back will have slight bend to it. You pull the bar off the floor quickly with the arms, and by a powerful arch of your middle back. You finish by touching the bar to your upper stomach or middle stomach. At no time is there any movement of the hips or knees, no hip extension at all, all that bends is the middle back and the shoulders and elbows.

This is hard to do and you have to have good muscular control to do it, or you'll end up straightening up at the hips along with the arching of the back. But if you can master doing them this way you will get a big back. This works because the lats actually extend (arch) the middle back in addition to other functions, just like with glute-ham extensions compared to leg curls…you always get a stronger contraction when you move both the origin and insertion of a muscle, flexing it from both ends so to speak.

The bar returns to the floor after each rep. The bent row is actually best done as an explosive movement and the bar is moved fast.

Rows look at an anatomy chart. if the scapula and upper arms are held in a constant position, shortening of the lats WILL result in arching of the middle and upper back. i AM NOT saying that the lats are primarily responsible for upper back flexion... what i am saying is that they can assist in this.

Stay away from doing them underhanded...this recruits too much bicep and takes load away from the lats...also it is a good way to tear a bicep.
    Last edited by phreezer; 11-20-2004 at 12:01 PM.

good info thanks alot ill give her a go like that then next time back comes around! also you dont feel any lower back strain doin em like that?

Odin is offline Member
    I like Under hand grip the best, Can use more weight and seems to be less hard on the wrist's, elbow's and shoulders, Also Under hand seems to make the bi's pretty big. I pretty much just a a bigger pump in my back going Under hand, Use more weight and can squeeze slower. I loving doing 1 huge drop set "doggcrapp style" 315 for 8 reps rest 30 seconds and force 2 more out, 8 reps are wider grip and the last 2 are closer.
    Quote Originally Posted by crosby7117
    good info thanks alot ill give her a go like that then next time back comes around! also you dont feel any lower back strain doin em like that?

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Overhand grip. Try 90* bent rows. Most do 45* and go heavy turning it into a shrug.

thats very true!!! good point

Monkeytown is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmillerdls
    over-hand and wide...seems it would be hard to get full contraction with under-hand, but ive never tried it
    I think you need a different avatar bro....I had mine first!

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    90º bent over rows. Mid-wide grip over hand. On a stepper or bench to let the arms hang straight down. I like to let the bar hang almost to foot level. keep your back straight almost arch it back even.

the guy earlier said to the upper or middle stomach...ive always read its best to go to the lower stomach, lower ab region...what's the difference in doing each?

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeytown
    I think you need a different avatar bro....I had mine first!
    ok, got a new one

Thread Information