Thread: calves

Natural1 is offline Associate Member

calves

I have busted my @ss for like 2 years trying to make my calves bigger, they have gotten slightly bigger but cannot hit the inner calve, only outer calve. I was wondering if being flat footed had anything to do with this. When i say flat footed i mean it, no arch at all.

Pork Chop is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Natural1
    I have busted my @ss for like 2 years trying to make my calves bigger, they have gotten slightly bigger but cannot hit the inner calve, only outer calve. I was wondering if being flat footed had anything to do with this. When i say flat footed i mean it, no arch at all.
    change the position of your feet - toe in and toe out.

6_pak is offline Associate Member
    Dont think being flat footed has anything to do with it. what rep range have you been using? Some benefit with heavy weight 10-15 reps. Some benefit with lighter weight 20-30,40,50 reps. Also the position of your feet may make a difference. What exercises are you doing?

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    No being flat footed should have nothing to do with it as you are on the balls of your feet when doing calf raises. The arch never comes in play. however, it could have something to do with overall shape because walking/balance may be different. Ask your podiatrist its a good question. Like PC said point toes out to target the inner and point in for outer calf. Not too much either.

Natural1 is offline Associate Member
    thanks, sorry it took so long i have been stuffing my face for a couple days and wasnt around my computer but, yeah i have tried changing my foot position.

I should have rephrased the question, to ask about shape instead thats what i really meant, because i dont come up on the balls of my feet when i walk

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    i myself have been unsuccesful with making my calves grow. i have tried everything from light weight high reps, heavy weight moderate reps. il experiment with foot position.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    I think when one reaches the point where extreme variations don't work..'tis the time for subtle variations.

Time to get 'into' the muscle.What made the difference in my calf-training was envisioing the muscle contracting and expanding while i train them.At the highest point of contraction in my mind it's like a ball(much like a contracted bicep)...like a ball of wool..as i stretch it's like the ball slowly unravels.

Made a bif difference in my development

Also..negative work made my growth jump.

I'd train calves with my usual workload but my training partner would press down on the weight on the negative portion...I'd resist him.. sometimes taking 30 seconds or more to complete the negative portion...It increased the muscle time under stress and subsequently my workout's untensity.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    I would concentrate on "time under load." Everyone has a short range of motion in their calves. Yes, you can take them from one extreme to the other, full range of motion, but because their isn't much of a range of motion, then muscle itself is not under tension for very long during a set of 10 or whatever, unless you employ static holds at the top or negatives like Narkissos mentioned. Both these techniques increases your calf muscle under load, which, I beleive, will cause greater gains.

Cuttup is offline Senior Member
    point your toes outward

Thread Information