jon_83 is offline Junior Member

sholder problems

hey guys, i need some help. whenever i work my sholders i get sharp pains in the socket which stops me from finishing my workouts. Its alot worst when i push myself hard. so do you think on my sholder days i should take it a lil easier, so i don't screw up the rest of my workout. It will be sore for a day or so after wards which will effect my workouts tomorrow. Do any of you have any good sholder exercises that is easy on the joints.

Tallon484 is offline Junior Member
    Sharp pains doesn't sound good. You don't want to damage your rotator cuff. The best advice is to see your doctor and get some tests done. But if that isn't what you want to hear try some glucosamine, condroitin amd MSM. Thast stuff really works.

BigDogRonnieC is offline New Member
    i dont know what your routine looks like but if you do military presses you might want to do them infront instead of behind that is if you even do them and if you shrug also up and down motion not rolling that plays hell on the rotator cuff i see guys doing it all the time in the gym rolling the shoulders on shrugs not good on the shoulder and you might want to use dumbells on shoulder prsses instead of the bar if you even use the bar dubless will give you much more range of motion then the bar with military presses just some quick advice and tallon484 is right glucosamine is great for joint lubrication helps to lubricate and repair the tendons and ligaments. also somthing to work the roatator cuff, is lying down on your side take a dumbell and putt your elbow and you side and throw the weght like you would a baseball its hard to explain but if you get the picture just say so if not ill try to explain it better and to stretch your roatator cuff after a shoulder work out just put your arm in an L shape hold it up and let some one pull your hand back while holding your elbow. there are all the things i do for baseball to work my roatator cuff. hope this was of help

thanx guys i'll try the glucosamine, and some of the excercises you listed.

I've separated both of my shoulders now playing rugby. Both times an exercise that was part of therapy (seemed to work weel for me) was to bend over forward at the waist to about 90 degrees. Take a LIGHT plate...I'd start at no more than 5 lbs...let it dangle freely in your hand with your arm relaxed and pointed down at the floor. Then slowy begin making a very small circle with the weight. Clockwise or counter clockwise it doesn't matter because you'll repeat the exercise in the opposite direction that you started in. But as you make the small circles with the weight...slowly increase the diameter of the circle and after it gets to about as big as it can without hitting your chins, relax your arm and let it come to a stop by itself. Then repeat as I mentioned in the opposite rotation direction. DO NOT FORCE THE WEIGHT TO STOP AND SWITCH DIRECTIONS!!! Extremely important that you let it stop by itself. Good luck man.

100%NATURAL-theGH is offline Senior Member
    I have started skipping isolating shoulders... atleast for a little... My chest is lacking anyways... so I am doubling up on that and it doesn't hurt my shoulders nearly as much... I think that on my 2nd chest day I may do 1 shoulder exercise like a military press or something... but no more front raises... those eff me up...

yeah its really the front raises that get me too, i can barely lift my arm after i do them.

Bound for Muscle is offline Associate Member
    if they hurt then don't do them!

i would personally feel pain when doing lateral raises or front raises with too much weight, so i stopped doing them, the pain went away

same with dips

also hamstring curls, hurt my knees, i stop doing them, knee pain goes away

Pork Chop is offline Member
    don't do dips or over head presses.
    i also had very bad shoulders. now i only do side laterals. my shoulder pain to date has all but disapeared.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Deffinitly do not work in your vertical plane - like doing pull downs or military presses behind your neck. I know from personal experience how much this can mess up your shoulder joints. Also, with lateral your hands should come up and writs turned like pouring a pitcher...

When it comes to your shoulders - a symptomatic approach to staying injury free is not nearly as important as a more preventive aproach. Stay off your verticle plane, warm up well...

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    from my own experience do not ignore the pain, you will regret it further down the road. i dont do any overhead presses with a barbell anymore, it all hurts. Im limited to dumbells as they dont hurt. Im doing shoulder presses 1 arm at a time at the moment to focus on the individual shoulder and not cause any pain. You could try that.

thanx guys i'll keep all this info in mind on my next sholder days.

Thread Information