Thread: rows

briansauras is offline Senior Member

rows

if doing wide grip cable rows and single db rows is it nessisary to do close grip cable rows?

6_pak is offline Associate Member
    If your talking about in the same workout, probably not. Depends on how your lats are feelin. But otherwise, sure-- variety is the spice of life, as well as in your workout. Cables keep tension on the muscle-- thats the benefit. Your back is a huge bodypart to work. It requires different exercises to hit different angles.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Close grip IMO is a real need. Good for overall back thickness and rhomboids.

Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    Close grip IMO is a real need. Good for overall back thickness and rhomboids.
    Ok, so I should be alright doing close/wide grip cable rows aswell as siingle db rows

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Yes, imo but that all depends on your training type. Single db is simular to close grip rows. I am a firm believer hitting the muscle from many angles. As far as the wide grip if seated make sure you get the squeeze and hold the contraction for a second. If wide-grip pull downs are used make sure you only do in front NOT behind the neck as risk of injury and muscle fibers are not stressed nearly as much from recent test studies have shown. I always know the inexperienced lifter when I see them bobbing behind the neck.. lol which is half the guys walking around..good luck

Yes, imo but that all depends on your training type. Single db is simular to close grip rows. I am a firm believer hitting the muscle from many angles. As far as the wide grip if seated make sure you get the squeeze and hold the contraction for a second. If wide-grip pull downs are used make sure you only do in front NOT behind the neck as risk of injury and muscle fibers are not stressed nearly as much from recent test studies have shown. I always know the inexperienced lifter when I see them bobbing behind the neck.. lol which is half the guys walking around..good luck
    Arnt wide grip rows good for building the lower traps? Thats my main reason for doing them...Do you think they work to much rear delt than anything else?

Pork Chop is offline Member
    close grip allows for a better range of motion.
    don't beleive me? fully extend with a close and wide grip - it's abvious.

a greater range of motion provides for a better workout - more mucles/thickness.

Ok well, does widegrips do anything for your lower traps, or is it more effesis on rear delts?

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I think it is best to very your grip and angle... the grip/angle used for pulling in dumbell rows and close-grip cable rows is very similar... so your just further blasting the same movement... but the resistance is a bit different since one is free weight and the other is a cable resistance. Are you doing some sort of pull down/up to hit the lower beef in the lats?

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger

Care to elaborate on this? What is the differences between doing pulldowns behind the head and in front? Seriously interested to hear this...as i still do some behind (closer grip) my neck. I feel it hits pretty good but i am all for trying something new.

Thread Information