Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger

Serious Bench Help needed!

I am just gettin in from yet another chest workout, to be blunt...my bench is god**** pathetic for someone my size (6' 235lbs). I used to use machines only for benching (don't even ask my why) so i am so weak on the bench. My dumbell presses are a step ahead and going good. My weakest link is benching..i am so down about it i have thought about stopping benching and just do dumbell presses for awhile and then go back.

I no i should press on and i have made progress but without a partner to push me over the edge i feel terrible about benching.

Any advice bros?

Gorgoroth_ is offline Associate Member
    What does your form look like on the bench ?

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Form looks good as i have lifted "light" enough so that i have good form. It has to be years of neglecting free weight bench work?

My shoulders have been tweaked a bit from Jiu-Jitsu but should not be a problem.

Sage is offline Anabolic Member
    work your back especially deadlifts

Depends on your goals. If you wanna get a heavier bench immediatly its simple. Use more of a powerlifters technique. No that doesn't mean a bench shirt. I mean with an arched back and pinned shoulders cutting the bar path dramatically and work on bar speed with maybe some chains and bands and lighter weight.

I love floor presses. I believe they are highly underrated and very useful.Stay away from machines if you are wanting to get stronger. Some advanced technques such as rope pushups are very useful and gives you a break from normal chest training. Most of the powerlifters I know have huge chests and tremendously strong from basically heavy benching and the specific training that breaks down the bench press itself.

I'd also wanna throw some boards in there as well. I noticed you said you didnt have a partner. That's no excuse. Get a squat rack and do your work there. As far as board training you could have a 5 year old hold it on your chest and it work.

I do feel for ya not having a training partner,because right now im in the same situation,but don't let it get you down and use it as an excuse. I think too many people neglect heavy training on core lifts because they have either never done it and seen the results compared to light training or it hurts their egos being weaker then someone thats smaller then them.

6_pak is offline Associate Member
    Dont worry about the weight right now. Your muscles have gotten accustomed to the light weight. Keep increasing the weight from week to week. Eventually , you'll gain strength.

mitch911 is offline Member
    Try working hard on your tricep strength and traps. If you build strength in theses 2 areas while not benching, once you go back to your bench, it will improve guarenteed

Thread Information