Neo22 is offline Junior Member

Flat or Incline?

For putting less strain on the front delts. My problem is my front delts are a little oversized for the rest of my body. Basically it makes my chest look as if it collapses in so to speak. Would incline be better to bring the chest out more or would flat? I need my chest to stick out further away from my front delts. I was told by one of the trainers to do incline only. So should I take his advice or what? What should my chest workout be?

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Im not getting into a routine for you but your trainer gave you bogus advice about inclines. If you want a bit less stress on front delts then flat is prefered. Although inclines are great for chest it can hit delts/shoulders depending on the degree of incline.

bignatt is offline Anabolic Member
    I agree i would do both though i wouldnt leave one out

joey11 is offline Associate Member
    you can try dumbells for both, my front delts get sore sometimes on incline b/b so i switched to d/b's and the pain went away.

I'm not really worried about soreness or pain, thats not an issue. The issue is building my chest up. I just wanted to make sure my trainer was FOS when he told me do only incline, and do 3 exercises of each. As in, do incline bb, incline db and a machine for incline also. I dont want my front delts to build anymore, I need my chest to grow. thansk for the replies so far.

anaBROLIC is offline Only The Strong Survive
    just dont train your delts all that much..theres other things you can do for chest that will work around your delts..tho most things will still require them.. do more flys that may be more focused on just your chest

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Here is my problem with inclines. I have never seen a study/research to prove that the conventional 45* angles activates the pec minor more so than the anterior deltoid. All adjustable benches or fixed angles benches put you at a certain degree, in most cases about a 45*, where did this come from? If I had more time I would do research with EMG to see what angles activates the pec minor more so than the anterior delt. If I were you, I would manipulate the angle (lessen it) by putting a couple of 45 lb plates underneath the front of the bench (below your butt), this would lessen the angle, take stress off of your anterior delts, but still provide the stimulus to activate the pec minor. I would also eliminate front raises from your routine, because overhead pressing works the anterior delts. Also, keep your shoulders back when benching. Your trainer was probably thinking, lets blast his upper chest, bring it up and then it will be proportioned with your anterior delts. However, your anterior delts will also hypertrophy due to the stress that inclines put on them. Good Luck

Ejuicer is offline Anabolic Member
    The higher the incline the more the delts are incorporated into the exercise... so flat would work them less. I would still do some incline work in your chest workouts but i would focus mainly on heavy flat bench, flat flyes and dips if you're worried about shoulder development.

Ejuicer is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    Here is my problem with inclines. I have never seen a study/research to prove that the conventional 45* angles activates the pec minor more so than the anterior deltoid. All adjustable benches or fixed angles benches put you at a certain degree, in most cases about a 45*, where did this come from? If I had more time I would do research with EMG to see what angles activates the pec minor more so than the anterior delt. If I were you, I would manipulate the angle (lessen it) by putting a couple of 45 lb plates underneath the front of the bench (below your butt), this would lessen the angle, take stress off of your anterior delts, but still provide the stimulus to activate the pec minor. I would also eliminate front raises from your routine, because overhead pressing works the anterior delts. Also, keep your shoulders back when benching. Your trainer was probably thinking, lets blast his upper chest, bring it up and then it will be proportioned with your anterior delts. However, your anterior delts will also hypertrophy due to the stress that inclines put on them. Good Luck
    A 30 degree angle is superior to a 45 and will work your upper pecs while reducing the anterior delt work. Most adjustable benches should go to that setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    That sounds like what he was thinking. Problem is I never do any front raises lol. All I do is rear delt movements and side laterals. One thing I haven't done that was pointed out to me was keeping my shoulders back an sticking my chest up. I tried that last week and it was a huge difference. So I should probably put more emphasis on the flat bench or decline?
    Last edited by Neo22; 12-03-2004 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ejuicer
    A 30 degree angle is superior to a 45 and will work your upper pecs while reducing the anterior delt work. Most adjustable benches should go to that setting.
    So the front delt is known as the anterior delt?

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo22
    So the front delt is known as the anterior delt?
    Yep, you are on your way to becoming a Kinesiology Professor!

craneboy is offline Senior Member
    if only i had that problem, mine is the opposite. i would say incline definately hits more shoulders. if you want to hit more chest without alot of shoulders do some heavy dumbell flys (flat and incline) or decline bench

Quote Originally Posted by craneboy
    if only i had that problem, mine is the opposite. i would say incline definately hits more shoulders. if you want to hit more chest without alot of shoulders do some heavy dumbell flys (flat and incline) or decline bench
    If there was a way to trade I'd gladly do it!

Performing overhead db presses when you are close to 90deg and not clanging the db at the top almost lock-out position works the medial head with secondary the anterior delts,tri's,pec major imo.

decadbal is offline Banned
    both...

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    Performing overhead db presses when you are close to 90deg and not clanging the db at the top almost lock-out position works the medial head with secondary the anterior delts,tri's,pec major imo.
    how do you figure that your anterior delts are a secondary muscle group with that exercise even with the 90*and all that???

Monkeytown is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ejuicer
    I had a former power lifter at my gym tell me the same thing. A lower angle, I think he actually said something like 37 degrees was best for inclines. He built all of the benches at my gym so I know I am working at the angle he suggested.

allsaucedup is offline Member
    i would say keep doing all three press movements and maybe move your hands in alittle on the bar

Quote Originally Posted by crosby7117
    how do you figure that your anterior delts are a secondary muscle group with that exercise even with the 90*and all that???
    BB or DB overhead presses are a medial delt head exercise not the front anterior escpecially at close to 90 deg angle. Inclines presses are simular to front lateral raises then it targets the anterior head more. Are we getting the 3 heads confused??

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Wouldn't doing flat benches with a wide grip work the pectorials pretty good? As well, dips and dumbbell flies?

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    BB or DB overhead presses are a medial delt head exercise not the front anterior escpecially at close to 90 deg angle. Inclines presses are simular to front lateral raises then it targets the anterior head more. Are we getting the 3 heads confused??
    no not at all i've just always thought that presses worked mostly the anterior and medial was a secondary! maybe it's because i havent been using a close to 90* angle! i probably use more of a 75*-80* angle i would say! but i will try 90* because shoulder width is my main concern!

Thread Information