Phatso is offline Associate Member

Which burns more fat???

1. running for 30 mins
    2. walking inclined for 45 mins
    3. cycling for 30 mins

i see that running burns more cals than walkin but cycle burns the most on the other hand i keep reading that walking is the best? for fat burning that is.. so confused.. little help guys?

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    I would think that cycling is the best... I usually do 25 min on the bike then 20-25 on eliptical... remember to do it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatso
    1. running for 30 mins
    2. walking inclined for 45 mins
    3. cycling for 30 mins

i see that running burns more cals than walkin but cycle burns the most on the other hand i keep reading that walking is the best? for fat burning that is.. so confused.. little help guys?
    Running is going to burn the most "total fat." It will also burn more "total kcal" because you are using the most muscle and running is high intesnity, therefore requiring more energy.
    Walking inclined will most likely burn a "higher percent of fat" from your total kcals. This will burn less kcals than running, however more of the kcals you burn will come from fat. This is because oxygen is more readily available.
    Cycling will burn less kcal than walking if HR is equated. This is because you are using less musculature.
    Fat burning is going to depend on your intensity and duration of the activity more so than the mode you choose.
    If you are looking to retain LBM and decrease fat, I would go with walking or cycling (lower intesnity, longer duration). If you just wanna lose weight/muscle/fat, run like Forrest.

Susguy is offline Associate Member
    i tried all three before and what seems to work for me is walking on incline for 45 min

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    running is bad because once you get above your target heart rate your body starts burning muscle for energy instead of fat...

Quote Originally Posted by AandF6969
    running is bad because once you get above your target heart rate your body starts burning muscle for energy instead of fat...
    Only after you deplete glucose/glycogen, then if you remain in an anaerobic state, protein metabolism will occur (aka: burn muscle).

ProVet is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    Running is going to burn the most "total fat." It will also burn more "total kcal" because you are using the most muscle and running is high intesnity, therefore requiring more energy.
    Walking inclined will most likely burn a "higher percent of fat" from your total kcals. This will burn less kcals than running, however more of the kcals you burn will come from fat. This is because oxygen is more readily available.
    Cycling will burn less kcal than walking if HR is equated. This is because you are using less musculature.
    Fat burning is going to depend on your intensity and duration of the activity more so than the mode you choose.
    If you are looking to retain LBM and decrease fat, I would go with walking or cycling (lower intesnity, longer duration). If you just wanna lose weight/muscle/fat, run like Forrest.
    Exactly...very good post

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Susguy
    i tried all three before and what seems to work for me is walking on incline for 45 min
    Bingo.

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    Only after you deplete glucose/glycogen, then if you remain in an anaerobic state, protein metabolism will occur (aka: burn muscle).
    Right, and the goal of cardio is to burn FAT, no lean muscle. To burn fat for fuel, you must deplete almost all blood glucose first as well. (You are confusing blood glucose with muscle glycogen, two very different things)

So it would be wise to choose an activity that is within 65-75% of the MHR to burn fat, as anything OVER that threshold is too intense to utilize fatty acids for fuel. Not opinion, but rather scientific principle.

~SC~

Phatso is offline Associate Member
    wow so many replies thanx guys for the info got a Q though letsay i lift weights then do cardio at the end would i burn fat or food ive eaten all morning meaning not loosing any more fat?

Mixing anaerobic and aerobic activity in the same session is far from ideal.

Seperate them, you do nothing but cut into recovery time and take the chance of putting yourself in an extended catabolic state. As well, as soon as you throw down your post-workout offering(s), fat mobilization and loss is halted.

~SC~

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    depends on what you hr is at.

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    What's everyone's opinion on using Anaerobic Intervals and it's role in fat burning.

IE. 20 Second Sprint - 60 second walk - 20 second sprint - 60 second walk, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by RoNNy THe BuLL
    What's everyone's opinion on using Anaerobic Intervals and it's role in fat burning.

IE. 20 Second Sprint - 60 second walk - 20 second sprint - 60 second walk, etc...
    Well. . . I will need to read more studies/research on this type of training. But from what I know. Your RMR accounts for 60%-70% of your total caloric expenditure. Interval training (high intensity) has a profound effect on your metabolism (increasing it). Based on this, it "might" be more beneficial from a long term standpoint of fat loss. With this style of training, one needs to be very careful of duration, because their is a higher risk of using proteins. I think there are some things that will be debated forever, and this is one~

BigJames is offline Senior Member
    My experience says walking is best...hit the target heart rate and hold it there for 25+ minutes and you are good to go....oh, and listen to SwoleCat, he knows his stuff.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoNNy THe BuLL

I think it is a good idea just do not overdo it, use it sparingly imo. I do it on the treadmill..

Thread Information