dymbag is offline New Member

failure on every set?

after reading todays obvious reminder ,wich makes a hole lot of sense..!

i wanted to know if i should be doing whatever weight im using per set to failure each time..

if i grab a 70lb barbel and start curling and im shooting for eight reps but can MAYBE do a couple more should i. even if it means when i grab 80lbs i i wont be able to get 8 ,,instead i get six?

im always afraid if i dont save some strength for the heavier of the sets that i am not goin to maximize. sorry if i confused anyone but i get confused myself

thanks for the help!

does bodybuilding have the most contradiction ever? seems worse than politics at times

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Be concerned with Overlaod. If your do two extra reps with X amount of weight, and the rest of your workout remains constant (use all the same weight) then your overloaded by increasing your poundage. I would not go to failure every set, but I would overload every workout.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    Be concerned with Overlaod. If your do two extra reps with X amount of weight, and the rest of your workout remains constant (use all the same weight) then your overloaded by increasing your poundage. I would not go to failure every set, but I would overload every workout.
    so if i was pyramiding sets 70x10- 80x8-90x6....after a few months shoot for 75x10-85x8-95x6? even if cant make all those numbers excalty.. maybe 85x7 and 95x5? at least i made some overload

mitch911 is offline Member
    try overloading the muscle everytime u hit the gym..the weight should have some increase since the last time you worked that muscle(in the previous week) pushing the muscle beyond what it is confortable with is the way to make big gains

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dymbag
    so if i was pyramiding sets 70x10- 80x8-90x6....after a few months shoot for 75x10-85x8-95x6? even if cant make all those numbers excalty.. maybe 85x7 and 95x5? at least i made some overload
    You will have to do the math and figure whether or not you actually overloaded.
    80lb x 10 reps = 800lbs
    85lb x 9 reps = 765lbs
    Overload should be specific to the phase of training you are in. A high volume lower intensity phase will have significantly higher poundage than a low volume high intensity phase. So overload according to what you are doing.

Thread Information