YoungGuns20 is offline Junior Member

For Mass How Long Between Sets

I am sure someone has posted this but I keep getting mixed answers, do you wait 30 seconds or 2 minutes for mass? I thought doing it in 30 seconds would get heart rate up and be for cutting but I have heard it helps build the muscle?

ProVet is offline Banned
    The amount of time you reserve for resting between sets will vary, depending on your particular goals. If your goal is to gain strength and pack on the muscle mass, the ideal amount of time between sets is roughly 3-4 minutes. Allowing this amount of time will provide ample recovery time for your muscles, and thus, refuel your muscles with the strength it needs to conquer the next grueling set. For the more toned, defined look, cut back the rest time to 1-2 minutes between sets, keeping the tension on the muscles while carving them into that sharp, chiseled look you so willfully desire

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    Quote Originally Posted by ProVet
    The amount of time you reserve for resting between sets will vary, depending on your particular goals. If your goal is to gain strength and pack on the muscle mass, the ideal amount of time between sets is roughly 3-4 minutes. Allowing this amount of time will provide ample recovery time for your muscles, and thus, refuel your muscles with the strength it needs to conquer the next grueling set. For the more toned, defined look, cut back the rest time to 1-2 minutes between sets, keeping the tension on the muscles while carving them into that sharp, chiseled look you so willfully desire
    Actually strength and hypertrophy have different time between sets. 1.5 - 2 minutes is best for hypertrophy.

wink182 is offline Associate Member
    I remember reading years ago, and have always followed Bob Paris( thats old huh?) his advice was to take as long as nessecary between heavy sets. It works for me.

josh8416 is offline Associate Member
    i always rested about a minute, but maybe im not resting enough... TTT

Anhydro78 is offline Anabolic Member
    What I allways did for powerlifting is I let my heart rate allmost return to normal. Which was any where between 2-3 minutes.. ANd I packed on most of my mass powerlifting.

nsa
    Rest period length assignments based on the training goals:

Strength: 2-5 minutes
    Power: 2-5 minutes
    Hypertrophy: 0.5 - 1.5 minutes
    Muscular Endurance: under 30 seconds

This is from the NSCA textbook. Don't confuse training for strength and power with training for hypertrophy, they are related but not the same thing by any means.

edit: where i got the info from.
    Last edited by nsa; 12-31-2004 at 12:34 PM.

anaBROLIC is offline Only The Strong Survive
    i just recently read somewhere that for mass you should give yourself about 2.5 minutes in between..

josh8416 is offline Associate Member
    if u rest 2 minutes or more, wont you be in the gym for hours!!!!!! Bump

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    I gained very good when doing westside and I rested very little betwen sets except on the first exercise. I think its not a set number but depends on your general fitness level and what your body is used to. Shortening rest periods is a new way of shocking the body and can for sure lead to growth

Duckhombre is offline Associate Member
    I really think this has a lot to do with body type, I think the ecto's can take longer than endo's-Just from what I've seen

jgg1221 is offline Member
    jay cutler said in some interview that the best way to put size on is by waiting only 30 seconds between sets...

i have an idea, i think im going to start trying to rest for 30 seconds, then 2 min, then 30 secs and then 2 min again... im gonna see what happens

nsa
    Don't confuse training for hypertrophy with training for strength/power. Hypertrophy rest periods should be between 30 - 90 seconds.

Odin is offline Member
    Well it take me 5 minutes plus to catch my breath after 1 set, I can only perform 1 set of each bodypart anyways cause i do really intense Doggcrapp style set.

mitch911 is offline Member
    For hypertrophy to happen dont u need to push the muscle beyond what it is used to with heavy weights lower reps. Say if u benched 250 for 6 reps then waited the 30 -90 sec to rest...what if you did not recover quick enough and were only able to get 4 reps on ur next set.

Odin is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch911
    For hypertrophy to happen dont u need to push the muscle beyond what it is used to with heavy weights lower reps. Say if u benched 250 for 6 reps then waited the 30 -90 sec to rest...what if you did not recover quick enough and were only able to get 4 reps on ur next set.
    It pushing the muscles as far as they can go with a small time frame. The goal is to push so hard on that set, that you won't need another, or cannot perform another. I have been getting more extreme pumps doing set's this way versus the numerous other styles I have tried before.

Odin is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch911
    Sorry heard you wrong, Yes i agree with you if your still breathing hard during your set, your going lift less. All the people I see in the gym only taking a minute between sets don't have to my size or strength to take about, Unless it's a rest pause or a drop set.

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by nsa
    Actually strength and hypertrophy have different time between sets. 1.5 - 2 minutes is best for hypertrophy.

yup yup

nsa
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantzen4k
    yup yup
    Finally someone acknowledges the truth, instead of confusing training for strength with training for hypertrophy. The techniques involved are similar but have significant differences in certain areas. Sure your muscles will get bigger over time by training for strength as well, only the bulk of the adaptations (adaptation due to increased stress on the muscle belly) will be involving an increase in contractile strength instead of increasing muscle volume (hypertrophy).

t-money is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nsa
    Rest period length assignments based on the training goals:

Strength: 2-5 minutes
    Power: 2-5 minutes
    Hypertrophy: 0.5 - 1.5 minutes
    Muscular Endurance: under 30 seconds

This is from the NSCA textbook. Don't confuse training for strength and power with training for hypertrophy, they are related but not the same thing by any means.

edit: where i got the info from.
    These are the PROVEN SCIENTIFIC facts.

Sure everyone will vary a little, but in general these are the guidlines to follow.

T

t-money is offline Member
    At least someone else gets/gives knowledge from a source other than a Weider publication.

Thanks nsa.

T

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungGuns20
    I am sure someone has posted this but I keep getting mixed answers, do you wait 30 seconds or 2 minutes for mass? I thought doing it in 30 seconds would get heart rate up and be for cutting but I have heard it helps build the muscle?
    The best answer is both training ideas. By periodizing your training you can take periods where you push your muscles to require growth in return (more intensity with short rest intervals)... mixed with periods where you focus on increasing limit strength (heavier loads with longer RI's). A strong muscle that is trained inside out (from the the fast-twitch to the slow twitch) will grow the best...

The idea of waiting 2 minutes is to allow your body to recover (physically and mentally) before moving to a next set... this is good when training with low reps and going for an increase in your limit strength. Using shorter RIs, super sets, giant sets, drop sets, ... will completely deplete muscle stores and slap your system around to demand increased stores/capabilities... growth.

Periodize between strength and intensity... you can alternate between each workout or periodize over several months... this also helps limit training boredom...

Thread Information