HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member

upper back and over-all developement

if you had to go with either deadds or bent-rows which would it be for upper-back and over-over back thickness???

bignatt is offline Anabolic Member
    I couldnt choose i would say do both they are both so good for the back

.45Caliber is offline Associate Member
    Rotate your routine like this Deadlifts, Bent over rows, oly style high pulls, and finally pullups. Don't do them all at once. Rotate to meet your goals.
    Those high pulls will kill your upper back!!

cwhid is offline Junior Member
    Though I am in no way an expert, I would have to say that deads are better for overall development. If you mean just for back purposes then they are two of the best, but deads involve the calves, legs, forearms, traps, and many other muscle groups that I failed to mention, so I give deads the nod for OVERALL developement as it truly is as close to a full body exercize as you can get other than say a power clean and jerk or other clean/explosion lift. I use some form of both in almost every back workout, so I would say go with both for a kick ass workout.

Quote Originally Posted by .45Caliber
    Rotate your routine like this Deadlifts, Bent over rows, oly style high pulls, and finally pullups. Don't do them all at once. Rotate to meet your goals.
    Those high pulls will kill your upper back!!
    what do you mean by high pulls??? do you mean upright rows?

Iowa is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crosby7117
    what do you mean by high pulls??? do you mean upright rows?
    Get in a power rack and place the catches about knee high. Do a "dead lift" from there. In short, theyre the upper half of a deadlift.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa
    Get in a power rack and place the catches about knee high. Do a "dead lift" from there. In short, theyre the upper half of a deadlift.
    ok i hear ya! and they work pretty good for back developement?

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Your question is confusing as you ask for upper back then overall developement. So there are two answers. Rows for lat width/thickness and deads for lower lumbar erector spinae so flip a coin.

Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    Your question is confusing as you ask for upper back then overall developement. So there are two answers. Rows for lat width/thickness and deads for lower lumbar erector spinae so flip a coin.
    i would have to disagree with this statement about deads! beacuse when i do deads the next day i dont feel anything in my lower back or lumbar its all in my lats, upper back, traps, hams strings abit, and thats about it! i think thing because i dont want to end up with lower back problems! but im sure for me my lower back is getting worked at little also!

ProVet is offline Banned
    IMO..there is no other exercise that will get your back as thick as you want by doing deads. Now, when it comes to lat spread then bent-rows are my first choice. Kudos

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Bent Rows would be my exercise of choice.(I dead pretty heavy) but for overall back development i feel the bent rows are better.

True deads hit more muscle groups; hams etc..that is my point.For me if i had to choose a movement that was back-only..it'd be bent rows...palms facing down

Thread Information