Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    HOLLYWOOD's Avatar
    HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,960

    my weird workout!

    ok i've doing this workout i read about on the net! it consists of doing 10 sets of 1 rep with like your 80% 1RM and consistently decrease rest time between sets! now what i did was take this idea and down size it to 3 sets of about 95% 1RM with decreasing the rest time also until the 3 singles become 1 set of 3 complete reps! now this seems to be working actually my strength is going up considerably! i know this isnt a conventional way to train but when you think about it one way to add muscle is to make progress every time you training and with this program it is very easy to do so! i also know that 1 rep is not the best rep range fo hypertrophy, however because of the strength increases is it possible cause hypertrophy using this program?

  2. #2
    Hypertrophy's Avatar
    Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Getting Fat
    Posts
    1,446
    Yes, you could increase muscle mass off the program you mentioned. Why? Because you are recruiting fast twitch fibers, you are also maximally recruiting all fibers avaliable, or the maximum your body will let you recruit. These are both good things concerning growth/strength. However, the importance of this program would be strength, not size. Your main focus during a strength phase, would be to become significantly stronger. With this increase in strength, you can transition into a "hypertrophy/high volume phase" considerabley stronger than before. This is where your strength phases become paramount! We'll say that you were squatting 200lbs
    4 sets of 10 (hypertrophy phase) before your strength phase. Then after the strength phase you squat 225 4 sets of 10. See how the strength phases come into play?

  3. #3
    Hypertrophy's Avatar
    Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Getting Fat
    Posts
    1,446
    I have no freaking idea why muscle mass is underline when I type it and it takes you to a supplement page. No clue!!
    Anybody?

  4. #4
    HOLLYWOOD's Avatar
    HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,960
    haha you got me! is there any way to incorperate both???

  5. #5
    Dmize9's Avatar
    Dmize9 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    Yes, you could increase muscle mass off the program you mentioned. Why? Because you are recruiting fast twitch fibers, you are also maximally recruiting all fibers avaliable, or the maximum your body will let you recruit. These are both good things concerning growth/strength. However, the importance of this program would be strength, not size. Your main focus during a strength phase, would be to become significantly stronger. With this increase in strength, you can transition into a "hypertrophy/high volume phase" considerabley stronger than before. This is where your strength phases become paramount! We'll say that you were squatting 200lbs
    4 sets of 10 (hypertrophy phase) before your strength phase. Then after the strength phase you squat 225 4 sets of 10. See how the strength phases come into play?
    Some kind of advertising or spyware is causing this..... run ad-aware and it should clean it up..

  6. #6
    Hypertrophy's Avatar
    Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Getting Fat
    Posts
    1,446
    Quote Originally Posted by crosby7117
    is there any way to incorperate both???
    Long Term, Yes. It is called periodization!

  7. #7
    SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    25,778
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    I have no freaking idea why muscle mass is underline when I type it and it takes you to a supplement page. No clue!!
    Anybody?
    I heard it's a virus of some sort.

    Seriously.

    ~SC~

  8. #8
    Hypertrophy's Avatar
    Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Getting Fat
    Posts
    1,446
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    I heard it's a virus of some sort.

    Seriously.

    ~SC~
    Everyone can calm down now. Swole is still helping out in the workout forum.
    I'll check my pooter and see what's up.
    Thanks

  9. #9
    BigJames's Avatar
    BigJames is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,311
    Get ad-aware and do a check for spyware...

  10. #10
    Hypertrophy's Avatar
    Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Getting Fat
    Posts
    1,446
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJames
    Get ad-aware and do a check for spyware...
    Is that stuff free?

  11. #11
    *Narkissos*'s Avatar
    *Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Barbados
    Posts
    16,357
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    Is that stuff free?
    http://www.download.com/

    Yup

  12. #12
    HOLLYWOOD's Avatar
    HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,960
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    Long Term, Yes. It is called periodization!
    hyper, which would produce better and/or quicker gains; non-linear or linear periodization???

  13. #13
    Hypertrophy's Avatar
    Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Getting Fat
    Posts
    1,446
    Quote Originally Posted by crosby7117
    hyper, which would produce better and/or quicker gains; non-linear or linear periodization???
    There is more research to support non-linear (undulating) periodization over linear periodization. I would run an entire macrocycle of both and see which one works best for you~

  14. #14
    HOLLYWOOD's Avatar
    HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,960
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    There is more research to support non-linear (undulating) periodization over linear periodization. I would run an entire macrocycle of both and see which one works best for you~
    ive atually been researching these two training principles and every study on linear has said that the 2 main macro cycles is a bad idea because if your current macro cycle is for strength then you tend to loose a little size because your body cannot train at 90% and over for longer than 3 weeks tops and you will go into a state of over training! also because you're not training to grow you wont and you may even risk atrophy! same with when you're in the hypertrophy macro cycle you loose strength! so what better way to use these priciples! put em together! so what do ya think hyper???

  15. #15
    Hypertrophy's Avatar
    Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Getting Fat
    Posts
    1,446
    Quote Originally Posted by crosby7117
    ive atually been researching these two training principles and every study on linear has said that the 2 main macro cycles is a bad idea because if your current macro cycle is for strength then you tend to loose a little size because your body cannot train at 90% and over for longer than 3 weeks tops and you will go into a state of over training! also because you're not training to grow you wont and you may even risk atrophy! same with when you're in the hypertrophy macro cycle you loose strength! so what better way to use these priciples! put em together! so what do ya think hyper???
    OK, this is hard to explain on a message board, but here goes: A macrocycle is the largest division and can last up to one year. You should never train for strength/power/hypertrophy/endurance for an entire macrocycle. That would defeat the purpose of Periodization. Periodization is the manipulation in training specificity, volume, intensity, etc. in order to promote long term gains. Therefore, your macrocycle should consist of mesocycles and microcycles. These are subdivisions lasting one week up to several months depending on ones goal. The incorporation of these cycles eliminates the problem you mentioned about running an entire marcocycle of strength, etc, and losing strength or size. You mentioned that after 3 weeks in a strength phase, your body begins to breakdown and you are overtrained. I would then incorporate a 3 week microcycle of strength, then unload or have a one week reduced volume phase to allow for supercompensation and transition into your hypertrophy/power/endurance (whatever you desire) phases. Within this approach I would use an Undulating Periodization (non-linear). A basic example might be:
    Weeks 1-8: Hypertrophy Phase
    Week 9: Unload
    Weeks 10-13: Strength Phase
    Week 14: Unload
    Weeks 15-19: Power Phase
    Week 20: Unload
    The duration and type of training in each phase is totally dependent upon the person's goal and their ability to recover and adapt. Trained subjects adapt much more quickly as compared to untrained. You'll need to listen to your body and monitor your progress. This is why keeping a training log is invaluable! Hope this helped?

  16. #16
    HOLLYWOOD's Avatar
    HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,960
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    OK, this is hard to explain on a message board, but here goes: A macrocycle is the largest division and can last up to one year. You should never train for strength/power/hypertrophy/endurance for an entire macrocycle. That would defeat the purpose of Periodization. Periodization is the manipulation in training specificity, volume, intensity, etc. in order to promote long term gains. Therefore, your macrocycle should consist of mesocycles and microcycles. These are subdivisions lasting one week up to several months depending on ones goal. The incorporation of these cycles eliminates the problem you mentioned about running an entire marcocycle of strength, etc, and losing strength or size. You mentioned that after 3 weeks in a strength phase, your body begins to breakdown and you are overtrained. I would then incorporate a 3 week microcycle of strength, then unload or have a one week reduced volume phase to allow for supercompensation and transition into your hypertrophy/power/endurance (whatever you desire) phases. Within this approach I would use an Undulating Periodization (non-linear). A basic example might be:
    Weeks 1-8: Hypertrophy Phase
    Week 9: Unload
    Weeks 10-13: Strength Phase
    Week 14: Unload
    Weeks 15-19: Power Phase
    Week 20: Unload
    The duration and type of training in each phase is totally dependent upon the person's goal and their ability to recover and adapt. Trained subjects adapt much more quickly as compared to untrained. You'll need to listen to your body and monitor your progress. This is why keeping a training log is invaluable! Hope this helped?
    ya it did help alot actually! THANKS HYPER!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •