Flexor is offline Banned

Triceps in wide grip benching

Is it the action of the grip that changes emphasis on the muscles, or is it a combination of this and the elbow position. Does elbow position alter the effect on the triceps or just pecs.

If I used a close grip but moved my elbows out to 45 degrees from my body or more would it work the triceps the same (pecs harder obviously)?
    Last edited by Flexor; 12-10-2004 at 01:55 PM.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    i find that if I wide grip bench with elbows in I get alot less strain on pecs/shoulders and more on triceps/lats. It is also a MUCH safer way to bench

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    For tri's I do close about 6 inch's apart with elbows in.. Hits strictly tri's and I actually take my thumbs out and I feel it a lot better.. I never totally lockout either

needmorestrenght. No lockout? That should be the part of the movement that involves most triceps? For trices I sometimes do only lockouts in the power rack and get a pretty "worked" feeling In my triceps. But I guess no lockout is better for the pump

allsaucedup is offline Member
    i would think that locking out the wieght would allow you to feel it in the lower head but i know people who do it either way i usually lockout because it makes the movement feel more complete to me

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    needmorestrenght. No lockout? That should be the part of the movement that involves most triceps? For trices I sometimes do only lockouts in the power rack and get a pretty "worked" feeling In my triceps. But I guess no lockout is better for the pump
    I dont know I stop about a quarter of an inch.. I think its a mental thing, since I have bad elbows.. some thing about locking out with 300+ pounds on my elbows lol.. I feel it in my lower head.. do you guys take your thumbs out?

rborwn77 is offline Associate Member
    You would think if you lock out it would take all the pressure off of the muscle and place it on the joints and bones ,in effect lessing the effectiveness of the muscle

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Flexor, you do not want to have your elbows sticking out at 45deg when doing close grips escpecially if you are lifting kinda heavy(thats when the close grip becomes the grand daddy of tri's). Too much stress on the elbow and shoulder girdle as well as reducing the contraction on each head. Keep elbows tucked in equal to your grip. As far as using the wide grip for the tri's forget it...

Quote Originally Posted by needmorestrength
    I dont know I stop about a quarter of an inch.. I think its a mental thing, since I have bad elbows.. some thing about locking out with 300+ pounds on my elbows lol.. I feel it in my lower head.. do you guys take your thumbs out?
    I dont dare to do any bench movement with a thumbless grip lol Im to big a pussie for that .
    I have read some comments that if you grip the bar with a regular grip and realy SQUEESE the hell out of the bar when lifting you will active more muscle fibers. It realy does work to Im always stronger when squesing the bar like my life depends on it.

Give it a try

Quote Originally Posted by rborwn77
    You would think if you lock out it would take all the pressure off of the muscle and place it on the joints and bones ,in effect lessing the effectiveness of the muscle
    But the last final muscle strenght needed to lock it out is almost exclusively triceps strenght.

I think locking out is important if going for 1rm strenght in bench. But maby not if just trying to build the triceps. Im not sure. To much powerlifting has poluted my mind

Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    Flexor, you do not want to have your elbows sticking out at 45deg when doing close grips escpecially if you are lifting kinda heavy(thats when the close grip becomes the grand daddy of tri's). Too much stress on the elbow and shoulder girdle as well as reducing the contraction on each head. Keep elbows tucked in equal to your grip. As far as using the wide grip for the tri's forget it...
    I think the same goes for regular benching to. Never let the elbows flare out, that is like beging for a pec tear or shoulder injury. Many get away with it but why on earth risk it

The Baron is offline Fourth Koala of the Apocalypse
    Locking out creates a point of skeletal support of the weight. The bones become a column supporting the weight, and the muscles do not carry a load at that point, so you are RESTING at each rep. Okay, well and good, right? Not if, like me, you believe that there must be significant stress on the targeted muscle throughout the set. I prefer to stop just short of lockout. Okay, so it doesn't hit all three heads... you can always supplement with weighted bench dips or cable pushdowns.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    I think the same goes for regular benching to. Never let the elbows flare out, that is like beging for a pec tear or shoulder injury. Many get away with it but why on earth risk it
    johan, do you find that benching with a wide grip with your elbows in still hits the pecs hard?

Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    johan, do you find that benching with a wide grip with your elbows in still hits the pecs hard?
    it does hit the chest alot less but I am stronger that way and I look at bench as a pl'er. Just a strenght test. Not as a good chest mass builder.

Also I rather bench that way and use less chest then to flare elbows and risk ripping a pec in the future when I get stronger

Quote Originally Posted by The Baron
    Locking out creates a point of skeletal support of the weight. The bones become a column supporting the weight, and the muscles do not carry a load at that point, so you are RESTING at each rep. Okay, well and good, right? Not if, like me, you believe that there must be significant stress on the targeted muscle throughout the set. I prefer to stop just short of lockout. Okay, so it doesn't hit all three heads... you can always supplement with weighted bench dips or cable pushdowns.
    Yes thats a good point. I guess for a bodybuilder not locking out is the way to go. For a powerlifter then lockout is almost the most important part of the lift. Im both so

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rborwn77
    exactly!

Thread Information