slacker is offline Associate Member

Need some chest help

Hey guys, i just finished a cycle of test.. my d@mn chest makes me so mad. I work it like a b@stard and it never seems to get thick enough. My abs still stick past my chest ( i dont have a gut by anymeans i'm pretty lean). I dont know is it just my genes? Is there any other types of workout for chest that i can use for my next cycle other than incline, decline, and regular old bench? Will i never achieve the thick chest that i'm wanting?

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Whats your chest workout look like bro?

every monday and thursday i work chest and back. First is Flat bench, backworkout, Incline, backworkout, Decline with dumb bells, backwork out, Flat with dumbbells, backworkout, flys.

sooners04 is offline Senior Member
    I would do 3 set of 4-6 reps of heavy weight obviously but do one body part then switch to the other. Ex: Flat bench-Incline-Decline-Cable Crossovers. Maybe not all in the same day but mix it up. Mix up the order in which you do them also.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Well, seems like you are over-training. When I hit chest Monday, there is no way in blue hell that I can do it again on Thursday. Just no way possible, as I am still sore, or just past the soreness point.

My guess is you are not fully recovered before your next workout. More is not always better, as you grow/change OUT of the gym.

~SC~

ok, i'm gonna start doing chest one time a week, I wont lock out my elbows at the top either.. i think i should start using a smaller weight and concentrate more on making sure i'm using my chest not just trying to get the bar going up and down.

Yeah! I had to put my ego aside as well, and drop the weight considerably to limit the "takeover" of the shoulders (front head) and the triceps. I can lift a lot more when I don't concentrate on just the chest being worked, and it "looks cool" to others for me to lift that much, but it's not making my chest grow at all. I finally realized that to make the chest grow, I have to keep my shoulders and triceps as much "out" of the movement as I can, and that means reducing the weight to focus purely on the pecs. You may not lift as much as you can w/sloppy form recruiting the tri's/shoulders, however if you want pure chest growth, you'd be wise to lift lighter, yes.

Hope that helps.

~SC~

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    I agree with Swole drop the weight and feel the pecs. Thursday I was doing incline benching with only 95lbs, then flat for 135lbs but I got real deep into the pec muscle eliminating tri/shoulder involvement to minimal. I have no clue as why some still have to lift way too much using their own momentum to heave the weight. Lifting heavy does have its place but now for the last few years realize I myself no longer need to. My ego is at the front door..

As well, when you lift heavy all the time (using bad form), you risk injury. All it takes is one major injury to set you back YEARS.

~SC~

ya thanks alot for the advice, monday i will test it out. any other comments about form? i heard bring your shoulder blades close together so that you they sit almost flat on the bench.. anything else?

beyonddriven is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Yeah! I had to put my ego aside as well, and drop the weight considerably to limit the "takeover" of the shoulders (front head) and the triceps. I can lift a lot more when I don't concentrate on just the chest being worked, and it "looks cool" to others for me to lift that much, but it's not making my chest grow at all. I finally realized that to make the chest grow, I have to keep my shoulders and triceps as much "out" of the movement as I can, and that means reducing the weight to focus purely on the pecs. You may not lift as much as you can w/sloppy form recruiting the tri's/shoulders, however if you want pure chest growth, you'd be wise to lift lighter, yes.

Hope that helps.

~SC~
    Hey swole I was wondering how you go about eliminating your shoulders and tris when you bench. The only things I can think of is not locking out and a wider grip. Do you do a lot of positive negative when you do chest to isolate?

Right, don't lock out, wider grip (or use d-bells and you eliminate a lot of error as it's a more natural movement, you are not "locked into" a bar), and roll the shoulders down and back, thus pinching the shoulder blades together and having the chest poke up a bit.

Make sure to keep the small of your back ON the bench though, you don't want to mess up your back!

~SC~

beyonddriven is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Right, don't lock out, wider grip (or use d-bells and you eliminate a lot of error as it's a more natural movement, you are not "locked into" a bar), and roll the shoulders down and back, thus pinching the shoulder blades together and having the chest poke up a bit.

Make sure to keep the small of your back ON the bench though, you don't want to mess up your back!

~SC~
    Allright thanks I will work on that

Thread Information