Thread: Shoulder Shrugs

Canes4Ever is offline Banned

Question Shoulder Shrugs

Guys, as I have mentioned before I have bad shoulder (and bad strength in them), and have been told by a friend that I should incorporate shoulder shrugs into my routine.

I have always done them straight up and down, but my friend says I should rotate my shoulder while I lift. I have seen others do this but I have heard from some guys that is unsafe.

Is it okay and does it help build or is it actually more harmful?

Thansk for the replys in advance.

Originally posted by Diesel
    Your freind has no idea what he is talking about Canes. If you rotate your shoulders you are asking for an injury. Up and down my brother.
    Thanks Diesel, your word is as good as Gold. I'll be strict with up and down then.

xenithon is offline Member
    i double everything said here plus a little sumthing extra. you'll notice if you do dumbbells it puts a lot of stress on the traps and shoulders, unneccesary stress which can be removed by using barbell to do shrugs. now to add on to that : whn u do bb shrugs, you either do it in front of your body or behind your body right? i would suggest using the bench press machine to do shrugs, because it give you the stability of a barbell but it is as if it goes right through you, and you dont have to worry about in front or behind shrugs, and it also decreases unneeded stress. btw. i had serious rotator cuff problems and that exercise helped me build my traps very well with no injury at all.

Originally posted by xenithon
    i double everything said here plus a little sumthing extra. you'll notice if you do dumbbells it puts a lot of stress on the traps and shoulders, unneccesary stress which can be removed by using barbell to do shrugs. now to add on to that : whn u do bb shrugs, you either do it in front of your body or behind your body right? i would suggest using the bench press machine to do shrugs, because it give you the stability of a barbell but it is as if it goes right through you, and you dont have to worry about in front or behind shrugs, and it also decreases unneeded stress. btw. i had serious rotator cuff problems and that exercise helped me build my traps very well with no injury at all.
    Thanks Xenithon and Diesel, you guys are quick with the answers. I love the AR community !

9natural9 is offline Banned
    canes, just a little added info on this subject...I am sure you are knowledgable on the procedure of ShoulderShrugs, but I just thought I would reccommend to take slow movements and on the upwards movement, hold the weight at the highest point for 3-5 seconds or longer if capable, it will produce a good burn which produces what you want

CrazyRussian is offline Associate Member
    just go straight up and down, use dumbells and get some wrist wraps, but try not to rotate your shoulders, it can be bad on the muscle and the rotartor cuff.

Deadend is offline Associate Member
    I find that if you look straight ahead at the start of the movement, lift the weights as high as possible and then look down at the floor, you can get a little them up a little bit higher.

Be real careful canes, the rotator cuff is very sensitive. Good luck.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    I dont know if this is just me or of this is dangerous.

But I feel that if I lay down on a incline bench(around 45 degres) with my face against the bench and then do shrughs that way it feels much better.

I hope you understand how I mean. The movement for me atleast feels much more natural then doing ordinary standing shrughs.

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    As they all say never rotate and use DB as it is more of a natural
    possition...

Thanks everyone, good avice, and I'm sure my shoulders will be better off for it. I was already skeptical about the rotating the shoulders, and thought I had heard from several sources before never to rotate them.

What I will do is try the barbell one week and then dumbells the next week and see what is more comfortable for me.

Darkknight442 is offline Associate Member
    Yeah i used to do them like that canes.. I uses to rotate back and forth and just in a circular motion. then i got yelles at by some guy in the gym saying i was gonna tear my rotator cuff. Thank god for him. With the barbel and the dumbels (i like the dunmbels thoguh I like the added stress o n the traps) just go up and down.. And hold it up there as long as you can and release slowly

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Up and down. I use DB's as using a BB rips my nuts, lol.

BOUNCER

Now this is gonna sound stupid, so please forgive, but I'm not as experienced as most of you guys.

Here goes......dumb question......

Several of you guys have mentioned that you hold the weight up before releasing. Should I be doing this with all exercises or not?

I ask because I never pause at the top. I have heard before we sould squeeze is this when one should do the "squeeze" on the muscle?

I will if you guys say I should. Are there any cases where it would not be recomemmded?

Thanks sorry for being dumb.......

bump for my dumb question.....

ironmike7000 is offline Associate Member
    I personally try to squeeze at the peak contraction of every exercise I do. It seems to give me a better feel of what muscle I'm working plus I seem to get alot better pumps that way. It's just my preference. I only squeeze the muscle for a second...but you can definately feel it working that way.

MBaraso is offline Retired Mod
    Just one more thing to what the other guys said: Never do shrugs w/ more weight then what u can handle (or any exercise). IMO form is everything espeically them to avoid injury.
    If you feel that your not in control of the bar then the weight is too heavy for you....

M

Thanks everyone that has answered it's much appreciated and I'm gonna try to incorporate each thing y'all gave to the thread.

peace brothers, you helped me out a lot today.

Originally posted by Diesel
    Canes, on the squeeze question. Yes and No. You should always squeeze at the top of each movement like Curls, Extensions, Flys, etc...
    However, on power movements like Squat, Deadlifts, Bench, the 'squeeze' can de difficult. Concentrate on your form on these. Proper form during these exercises will give you no choice but to tense up.
    I hope my explanation did not lose you. I mean when you deadlift, what do you squeeze? My whole body is screaming .
    Thanks Diesel, you explained it perfectly. Thanks brother !

Thread Information