Malvino is offline New Member

Guidance on some basic Q's

Im new at this but ive spent the last 6 months taking my health more serious, first i started running 3-4 times a week. Then i relized i was losing alotta mass so i took to weight lifting. I read that when starting out you should aim for a mixed workout stressing on squats, deadlifts, and bench.

1) When i do squats am i pushing up with my legs or with my upper body to? Should i go all the way to 90' or is 120' good?

2) I read that you shoudl keep to about 9-12 total sets, after about 8-9 i feel my focus is terrible i only get good pushes between the 2-6 sets, any advice to help build my bodies stamina.

3) Working out to fail is good, a post a little ways down said i should work out to fail atleast 1 time per session. Is there anything wrong with pushing yourself to fail everytime you lift weight? Because this is what i do.

4) When i work out with a weight i try for 8 reps but sometimes i don't relize how tired i am and i ussually go down a weight and finish off my body part im working out. Is this a good idea to do? Or should i just stick to one level or weight. Someone said to me im just making myself tired not the muscle when i drop in weight so i can finish my reps.

5) Sometimes when i work i get stiff muscles which im assuming is lactic acid, i go for a run because i heard this 'cleans' it out of your system is this true? also should i go for a run after i work out or does this run (slight jog till i can no longer talk with the person i go jogging with) just use up the muscles im gaining.

6) Some muscles i go to the gym n work out ussually legs n chest i get a soar feeling the next day but with sholders arms n abs i almost never get that soar feeling. Because of this im ussualy even more intense when i work out these muscles. What kindda advice would you give to maybe get that feeling like im working the muscle out.

thanks for your time
    Last edited by Malvino; 12-12-2004 at 09:49 PM.

6_pak is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Malvino
    Im new at this but ive spent the last 6 months taking my health more serious, first i started running 3-4 times a week. Then i relized i was losing alotta mass so i took to weight lifting. I read that when starting out you should aim for a mixed workout stressing on squats, deadlifts, and bench.

1) When i do squats am i pushing up with my legs or with my upper body to? Should i go all the way to 90' or is 120' good?

2) I read that you shoudl keep to about 9-12 total sets, after about 8-9 i feel my focus is terrible i only get good pushes between the 2-6 sets, any advice to help build my bodies stamina.

3) Working out to fail is good, a post a little ways down said i should work out to fail atleast 1 time per session. Is there anything wrong with pushing yourself to fail everytime you lift weight? Because this is what i do.

4) When i work out with a weight i try for 8 reps but sometimes i don't relize how tired i am and i ussually go down a weight and finish off my body part im working out. Is this a good idea to do? Or should i just stick to one level or weight. Someone said to me im just making myself tired not the muscle when i drop in weight so i can finish my reps.

5) Sometimes when i work i get stiff muscles which im assuming is lactic acid, i go for a run because i heard this 'cleans' it out of your system is this true? also should i go for a run after i work out or does this run (slight jog till i can no longer talk with the person i go jogging with) just use up the muscles im gaining.

6) Some muscles i go to the gym n work out ussually legs n chest i get a soar feeling the next day but with sholders arms n abs i almost never get that soar feeling. Because of this im ussualy even more intense when i work out these muscles. What kindda advice would you give to maybe get that feeling like im working the muscle out.

thanks for your time
    I will answer your questions in the order you've put them.
    1. If your using correct form, your using quads, hamstrings and glutes. Your back will also get hit pretty hard b/c you should really be concentrating on keeping your back straight the entire time. You should go to parallel(90') but if you feel comfortable enough to go lower go for it. Keep in mind it puts a lot of stress on your knees. Also make sure your knees dont go past your feet. If your not feeling it in your hams and glutes your probably not doing it right. And finally always keep your head up and dont move it, especially when using heavy weight.
    2. In general, thats the most popular set range. If you get better pumps going more than that or less than that, then that is what works best for you. But if you want to increase stamina-- go lighter weight more reps and keep recovery time at a minimum.
    3. Its mostly used to shock your muscles into growth and also to get your muscles used to lifting heavier weight, which will help you get bigger and stronger. I wouldnt do it every set for every bodypart though. I think once or twice in a session is plenty.
    4. If you got a rep range in mind always focus on hitting it and maybe go past that rep. Doing negatives or doing drop sets are good examples of when you cant get your reps in due to fatigue.
    5. First off, you havent let your muscles recover, repair and grow yet, so you arent gaining any muscles. After working out you need to refuel your system by eating (pwo shake). If you can do cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, that would be ideal, and lift in the afternoon. If this is impossible, however, and you can only do them both together, you would have to decide what is priority, muscle growth or fat loss. If its muscle growth you need to work out first. Fat loss, you dont need to run at all. Get your target heart rate for fat loss and get on an eliptical trainer.
    6. Not knowing exactly what your routine is and your technique i cant give you any accurate advice. Just because your not getting sore doesnt mean your not working the muscle. But maybe in your case your not. Concentrate on feeling the muscle. If your doing bicep bar curls--concentrate on getting a full range of motion-- going all the way down and, without using your back and shoulders, curl it all the way up, squeezing your biceps at the top of the movement.

I havent really been too specific in my answers. It would take alot more time, but in general this may help you get started. If you got more specific questions post them and we can help you out.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    I would not recommend squats or deads for you if I was your trainer. You need to condition your body & mindset first. Use machines for the first few months then go free weights sticking with simple basic exercises. Too many guys think they just need to do squats & deads with only their 1 month gym membership and expect miracles. Sorry aint going to happen. Bad form, ego , misleading infomation and not being smart will only lead to painful injury and then what? Besides you can do all the squats you wish till your blue in the face but go home after and eat a tootsie roll and twinky and instead of being 2 steps ahead you are 1 step backwards. In another words get you diet in check to eventually nourish your workouts escpecially after squats.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    1.) Use leg drive. Keep upper torso erect and rigid. 90* is perfect
    2.) It's not where you start, it's where you finish!
    3.) Failure is good, but it is not recommended to do so every set. Remember in order to get better, you need to overload.
    4.) Adjust the load so that you can meet your rep range
    5.) It is not lactic acid, it is damage to your muscle fibers at the cellular level (tears). Monitor your jog, by using a HR monitor.
    6.) Soreness is not a sign of growth. Even though you are not sore, more than likely, you still ellicited damage.

Malvino is offline New Member
    thanks for your straight forward awnsers it is really a big help.

Thread Information