jgg1221 is offline Member

lifting weights before bed

i was wondering.. would there be any benefit in lifting weights before sleeping as opposed to doing it mid-day or morning... such as would your muscles grow more, since we do most of growing at night?
    thanks

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    No, food makes you grow, not lifting. Lifting is but the mere stimulus FOR growth to occur. You'd be wise to ingest at least 2 pwo meals before you hit the sack. Definitely never lift and then go to bed, wtf are you going to use for repair??

~SC~

jgg1221 is offline Member
    well i mean having the pwo meals and then going to bed...
    but im just wondering if its all accomplished within 3 hours before bedtime would it be more effective than 6-12 hours before bed time

NevrSayNevr is offline Associate Member
    Testosterone levels are at their highest in the morning, then gradually tapering off towards night, this is the body's natural way of preparing for sleep. If you workout at night you get adrenaline going wich can disturb good sleep, also the body needs time for the blood to settle down and remove the lactic acid build-up. If you must workout at night do it at least 2-3 hours before bedtime.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    3+ yrs ago I was working out around 8-9pm 4days week and am on Sunday. Many times I was there till closing at 10pm. Immediately after I would sit down eat a few whole hard-boiled eggs and some carb/protien drink and a small can of tuna! People almost puked seeing me eat tuna straight out of the can(small oz.). Any ways then I would go home in bed eat my low/no fat yogurt & read my magazines or book untill I got sleepy. I had no problem dosing off but found myself waking up after a hour or two. I was still pumped up and thats why I awoke. I did not mind that schedule as it worked for myself instead of going at 6pm when the gym was packed. Now I work out around 4pm leaving my work early.. I am self-employed
    Last edited by bluethunder; 12-16-2004 at 08:15 AM.

Thread Information