Aggression is offline Member

Barbell front raises

Has anyone ever had good results doing barbell front raises?

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...rontRaise.html

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    No I do not do them and the pic has the guy using some of his momentum by the looks of it. However, I do them with a incline of 70* once or so a month as this is much more effective then standing where you can cheat. This is a controlled exercise to have it do any good. On the incline you get more stress on the anterior head escpecially on the intial raise with less body movement too. That is of course if you do not use too much weight.

What do you mean incline? Like on an incline bench? Please explain.

Yes, set the incline bench at 70* keeping your back solidly resting on the bench pad. Keep a slight bend in the elbows and try to controll the raise and go no higher then top of your head.

So you sit on an incline bench as if you were doing incline dumbell press, right? But instead of doing incline dumbell presses you do a front dumbell raise, right? How do you do this with a barbell? Wouldn't the bar hit your legs?

What benefit does doing dumbell front raises on an incline have over doing them the traditional seated way?

Also, is there an illustration on the web where I can see this exercise being done?

Yes. It will not hit your knees just above. I suggest you try it for yourself. I do not do db front raises seated ,I do bb seated w/incline as I told you. Do not make it harder than it is. Less body movement and higher stress is placed on the front delt performing bb seated incline 70* that's the real benefit. I still do front db raises standing too but I gave you another option.

justin2305 is offline Senior Member
    ive done them and there kinda hard on my shoulders i still do them every once in a while but i would not recomend doing them alot

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    i did then straight after shoulder presses for a while. I diddnt focus on weight but on reps. I found they isolated the front delts well but it was hard not to cheat.

Remember the purpose of the front deltoid is to raise ones arm forward & up . KEEPING the weight low is a requirement if your cheating you are using too much. The front delt is not the biggest muscle.

weightshead is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    Remember the purpose of the front deltoid is to raise ones arm forward & up . KEEPING the weight low is a requirement if your cheating you are using too much. The front delt is not the biggest muscle.
    good advice, especially considering you can do you shoulder some serious damage overdoing this exercise.

Thread Information