Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

Super strict vs some cheating

with "some cheating" I mean controled cheating in a sensible way to break through a sticking point. Not any acrobat feats.

I find that for biceps for instance when I use mainly scott curls and other super strickt no cheat exercises then I gain NOTHING. Neither in strenght or size. No matter how sore I feel afterwards.

But when I throw in heavy ass barbel and dumbel cheat curls my gains go through the roof.

Same with back. When doing mega super strickt barbel and db rows they dont do **** for me. But with a little cheat in there my gains takes off.

Is using to strick form just counter productive(in the exercises where you can cheat safely that is)
    Can it be that the body is built for all muscles to cooperate and when trying to focus on one muscle exclusively you cant utilize it to 100%??

niXon)( is offline Member
    I think the main thought is if you use bigger weights, as in move up in weights, your body has to grow. Now don't get me wrong, i'm not talking about throwing on more than you can handle, just enough to where you cheat a little and can add that extra weight. I know what you mean by this, I do it too and doing so made me keep gaining. that and more calories...

NevrSayNevr is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    Can it be that the body is built for all muscles to cooperate and when trying to focus on one muscle exclusively you cant utilize it to 100%??
    I wonder if it could also be that the bicep, not exactly one of the bigger muscles of the body, when isolated 100 % requires such a small increase in weight resistance like say measured in ounces, instead of pounds, to stimulate growth or strength gains. Also alot of it depends on the amount of muscle fiber type we all have, fast, slow, in how different types of training affect us.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    erndog that might be true. But I have never heard of anyone building 20+ inch guns without cheat curls I think. Or well yeah I know one dude....

Would be fun to get the oppinion of a true biceps hard gainer and what he did to get his biceps to grow...

6_pak is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    Is using to strick form just counter productive(in the exercises where you can cheat safely that is)
    No it is not counterproductive. Although, there is a place in a routine for a moderate, sensible amount of cheating. Such as when your going for a rep range of 8 for bicep curls and the last 1 or 2 you have to incorporate your back into it to be able to get that last rep. However i would not recommend doing this often and with every exercise.

weightshead is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by niXon)(
    I think the main thought is if you use bigger weights, as in move up in weights, your body has to grow. Now don't get me wrong, i'm not talking about throwing on more than you can handle, just enough to where you cheat a little and can add that extra weight. I know what you mean by this, I do it too and doing so made me keep gaining. that and more calories...
    i agree - if you lift more you will get stronger. I think the most important thing is that you up the weight, but dont cheat so much that it becomes forced reps.

I see far too many people overtraining these days - basic heavy compounds is all that beginners to intermediates need.

Thread Information