Thread: After a meal?

gya321 is offline Member

After a meal?

What do you guys think about hitting the weights right after a meal? Besides the possible cramping is there any other reasons not to do this.

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    All your blood is rushing to your stomach to try and digest food so its hard to get your muscles warmed up

MotoLifter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AandF6969
    All your blood is rushing to your stomach to try and digest food so its hard to get your muscles warmed up

That is exactly what my father used to tell me...and that its also herd to get a good pump due to the blood used for digestion.

gya321 is offline Member
    hmm. Thats interesting, Ive been going to the gym directly after eating and it seemed to be fine.

6_pak is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoLifter
    That is exactly what my father used to tell me...and that its also herd to get a good pump due to the blood used for digestion.

This is exactly what happens. Blood is going to be used for digestion, therefore, hurting your pumps. Wait 60-90 minutes before w/o.

weightshead is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6_pak
    This is exactly what happens. Blood is going to be used for digestion, therefore, hurting your pumps. Wait 60-90 minutes before w/o.
    i always have a pre workout meal. by the time i get to the gym its probably 30mins since i finished eating. i also sip my post workout shake during the workout.

However I've never paid much attention to pumps... to me its more important to make sure your moving heavier weight or performing more reps than last time.

Besides i would never leave a 3hr gap between meals (90mins wait + 90mins workout).

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by gya321
    hmm. Thats interesting, Ive been going to the gym directly after eating and it seemed to be fine.
    Then why the thread in the first place?

~SC~

gya321 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Then why the thread in the first place?

~SC~
    I wanted to know if it was hurting my workouts in any way I might not be aware of.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Oh.

~SC~

I always feel I work out best just before meal time. A little nutrition 1/2 hour or so
    before and I feel great. Much better than after a meal. But, I'm old tho, I just want
    to take a nappie after I eat now......

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    Same reason you shouldn't go swimming within 30 minutes of eating. Blood is sent to your GI tract for digestion and not sent to muscles worked in the gym.

6_pak is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by weightshead
    i always have a pre workout meal. by the time i get to the gym its probably 30mins since i finished eating. i also sip my post workout shake during the workout.

However I've never paid much attention to pumps... to me its more important to make sure your moving heavier weight or performing more reps than last time.

Besides i would never leave a 3hr gap between meals (90mins wait + 90mins workout).
    Thats your call, but i feel great when im pumped, but i also think its important to go as heavy as possible, as well, and (60 min wait + 60min w/o (FOR ME))= 2 hr. I know it doesnt count as a meal, but i usually drink a little gatorade+ creatine right before w/o, when im not cutting that is.

jgg1221 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gya321
    try not eating for a change before going to the gym and see if it gives you an extra advantage

Quote Originally Posted by 6_pak
    Thats your call, but i feel great when im pumped, but i also think its important to go as heavy as possible, as well, and (60 min wait + 60min w/o (FOR ME))= 2 hr. I know it doesnt count as a meal, but i usually drink a little gatorade+ creatine right before w/o, when im not cutting that is.
    one thing i've learnt is that you've got to find out what works best for you...

and when you think you've found it - be open-minded enough to try something completely different.

so i might give working out on an emptier stomach another go.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Quote Originally Posted by weightshead

Why would you drink your PWO during your workout?

Curious about this one.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    There are some studies that have said it may help offset/minimize catabolism following a workout therefore recovery is sooner. I sometimes drink during my workout too but it is mostly carbs , my post has more protein.

Quote Originally Posted by muriloninja
    Why would you drink your PWO during your workout?

Curious about this one.
    i just start _sipping_ it in the last half of the workout. i only get about two big mouthfuls (its v. thick) of it down.

absorbtion isn't instantaneous either you know...

Thread Information