Prime is offline Naturally perfect

A return to my initial and somewhat radical routien(sp?)

Whe i first got into bb i felt that the regular 4-5 day split seemed innefective you only trained each muscle gorup once every 7 days and after 3 exercises with multiple sets you were pretty exhausted. Well i moved to uni and the gym there closed on the weekends so i started doing a regular 5 day split. Then i got a training partner who could only train on set times and the split stuck. Well 2 1/2 years later my progress has slowed alot! Having read all the dogg crap ideas, the heavy duty, beyond failure etc i have come to think that my old routien may have actually been pretty radical and innovative.

It was a two on one off split but it revolved around three exercise days. Back, chest and legs. (other bodyparts included in one of the three days). How did this work, well it went like this.

Monday: Back
    Tuesday:Chest
    wed: off
    Thurs: legs
    Fri: back
    Sat: off
    Sun: Chest
    Mon:Legs
    Tues: Off
    Wed:back
    Thurs: chest
    Fri: off
    Sat: legs
    Sun:back
    Monday: off
    Tuesday: chest
    Wednesday: legs
    Thursday: off
    Friday: back:
    Saturday Chest and so on.
    This meant that in ten days each bodypart would get worked three times.
    Well this may look like massive overtraining, but if volume is radically dropped then it worked. Each bodypart gets worked then it gets a three day break and is then worked, it then gets a four day break and is worked as the first musclegroup after a rest day. What does this mean?
    Well say for back: on monday you may do cleans and deads for 2 hard sets each. now on friday youll have worked legs the day before, you may have squatted so you use other back exercises that remove the lower back, you do weighted pullups and closegrip pulldowns/machine rows etc. you then have a full four days till you hit your back again. On your next leg workout between the two back days you may do leg press and leg extensions therefore giving further reccuperation to the lower back.
    Now training each bodypart 3 times in ten days can be taxing but as the volume is lowered its managable. Thats 5 workouts in three weeks as opposed to 3 with a conventional split.
    Now i expect youre thinking this sounds alot like dogg crapp and i guess it is pretty simmilar, but when i came up with this i knew nothing about training lol i just tried to think of the most logical approach i could.
    As soon as my gym opens again im going to return to this approach. If anone finds this theory/practice interesting or they see a flaw please say so. I expect the major concern being overtraining yet on my new regieme you get a comparable7 days rest every 3 weeks rather then the conventional 9 on a 4 day split or 6 on a 5 day. Ill add to this thread as i get reaquainted with the routein.
    Last edited by Prime; 12-25-2004 at 08:49 PM.

KGBnine is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm guessing arms are not in there because they are hit while doing other exercises?

Quote Originally Posted by aXe
    I'm guessing arms are not in there because they are hit while doing other exercises?
    yeah, bis on back day, tris on chest day

6_pak is offline Associate Member
    I understand arms,but what about shoulders?

Quote Originally Posted by 6_pak
    I understand arms,but what about shoulders?
    ill do what i do now. split shoulders over chest and back day.

Ok here's the workout schedule as it currently stands

New workout

1st back: Deads, Bent over rows. Behind back shrugs, seated cable bar rear lats, preacher curls overgrip ss with regular. Bar/plate holds.

1st chest: Benchpress, dumbell press, bumbell shoulder press, dumbbell lats. Tricep
    pushdowns, hanging leg raises.

Rest day

1st legs: leg press, 1 leg smith squat, seated hs curl, leg press calve raises

2nd back: Weighted pull-ups, parallel handle pulldowns, dumbell shrugs, incline bench db lats, Barbell curls. Behind back forarm curls

rest day

2nd chest: Incline dumbbell press, incline flies, unilateral Arnold press, cable lats, closegrip benchpress, crunches.

2nd legs: Squats, step ups, Romanian deadlifts standing calve raises

rest day

3rd back: Bench rows, dumbbell rows, front barbell shrugs, bent over cable lats, cable curls, custom zottman curls and ball and chain.

3rd chest: weighted dips, cable crossovers, front raises, seated db lats, tricep extensions, raised leg crunches ss with twisting.

Rest day

3rd legs: Front squat, cable adduction and abduction, cable hs curl, seated calve raises.

1st back: Deads, Bent over rows. Behind back shrugs, seated cable bar rear lats, preacher curls overgrip ss with regular. Bar/plate holds.

Rest

1st chest: Benchpress, dumbell press, dumbell shoulder press, dumbbell lats. Tricep
    pushdowns, hanging leg raises.

1st legs: leg press, leg smith squat, seated hs curl, leg press calve raises

Elysium is offline Productive Member
    man you've deffinately put some thought into this, its sounding good bro

anyone else care to add any input?

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    awesome. if i were to use it, i would put chest as day 1 and back as day 2. thats really the only thing i would do differetnly

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    Quote Originally Posted by IronReload04
    awesome. if i were to use it, i would put chest as day 1 and back as day 2. thats really the only thing i would do differetnly
    bench press will be way off done after back day, but possible back day may not be thrown off too much done after chest. that is my reasoning or thinking

Quote Originally Posted by IronReload04
    bench press will be way off done after back day, but possible back day may not be thrown off too much done after chest. that is my reasoning or thinking
    hmmmm i have never trained chest before back, I always liked to keep a nice gap between back and legs to maintain the rest my lower back gets.

Ok guys well its been a few months on the new routein. My bench is at the best ever, as is my incline dumbell press and my dip strength. I did a pb last 2 sessions on deadlifts. Im lifting either at or close to pb's for everything except on squats due to a few persistant injuries but they are coming along well.
    All in all this workout is working really well for me.

I shall coin it something catchy "The Prime Workout". Read up about it here while you can before i delete this thread and start charghing for my services

superfat73 is offline Associate Member
    i heard doing bis with back and tris with chest is not good???

Thread Information